Had some cables failing lately so I decided to replace them all. While there I see the katana 50 and right next to it the spider v 30. Been very curious about the katana so had to check it out. I see this goudy white ibanez ( never tried an ibanez either). Stevie Via SIG 2 humbuckers with single coil middle. Plugged into katana first and not really to bad. Good low end and on the bridge pickup I got some pretty good tone. EQing was very nessesary, everything at 12 o'clock was a bit bright for me. Good bit of gain to be had also. Scrolled through the models and for $200 I didn't think it was to bad. I then plugged into the 30. Katana already had an edge as I don't care for 8" speakers all that much. However there was a blues preset on this one that I really kinda liked right out the gate. I thought the acoustic preset was more natural also. For higher gain I think the katana kinda edged out the spider, but the katana constantly reminded me I was playing an SS amp which I wasn't bonding with. If your a high gain metal player ( which I'm not) the katana would have been the choice, but for mellower blues type stuff up to Frampton, Zeppelin, Floyd I'd have gone with the spider. The big surprise was that ugly ibanez JEM thing. I really liked the guitar. It played really nice. Great tone out of those pickups and for $500 better build qualify then I thought it would be. Made in Japan. I almost bought the guitar. But at the end of the day I'm happy with my gear so I'll gas another day. Had a good time though.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Feb 18, 2017,
$500 for an MIJ Jem? Was it used? Even then that's a pretty decent deal I'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks I was kinda surprised at the Katana the way everybody raves about it. Had to turn treble and presence way down to get anything I liked out of it. Just goes to show try before you buy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Thanks I was kinda surprised at the Katana the way everybody raves about it. Had to turn treble and presence way down to get anything I liked out of it. Just goes to show try before you buy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
$500 for an MIJ Jem? Was it used? Even then that's a pretty decent deal I'd have thought.

Now that you mention it don't know. Tag said $500. Thought it was new. Don't know anything about iibanez. Other then the fact I liked it
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Just looked it up. It better have been used. If I passed on a miss marked guitar......
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by AcousticMirror
Cool story bro

+1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by scott58

Now that you mention it don't know. Tag said $500. Thought it was new. Don't know anything about iibanez. Other then the fact I liked it

Did it actually say, "Made in Japan" (and/or have the serial number starting with "F"?)on the back of the headstock? There are non-MIJ Jems which cost less.

EDIT: Aw come on AcousticMirror and trashedlostfdup, regulars make (or used to make) threads like this all the time and didn't get the hard time he's getting. We want to encourage these types of threads, IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
JEM might've had EVOs for pickups, could have contributed to some of the brightness
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
you guys wanna hear an interesting GC story?

So i goto GC and while i'm lookin around playin guitars n shit I keep hearing some fkn weirdo in falsetto say,"koo koo ka choo". And I go on to try out the acoustic guitars (my GC has a little private practice room inside the acoustic room) and in the vent I hear someone say "koo koo ka choo". And I turn in the window and I see a GC employee who looked a lot like Dave Grohl pointing at my shirt. I realized I wore my "I am the Walrus" beatles shirt. but still took a while for the reference to sink in
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
Oh yeah it said Japan on head stock. Should have bought it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Just a note on the Katana. The presence control is only active on the Katana 100 head modal according to the manual (not on the Katana 50, 100 1X12, or 100 2X12). I have the Katana 100 and I wondered why I didn't notice any change when turning that knob so I got out the manual and it says it on the "Panel" page #4 "100 Head only". I guess to use the save money they use the same panel on all Katana's the "presence" feature is only active on the 100 head modal.

Still a great amp for my needs. Just did two gigs this week end with the Katana 100 and it was really good.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 19, 2017,
Quote by scott58
Oh yeah it said Japan on head stock. Should have bought it.

oof, that sounds like a pretty good deal, if it's legit and in good nick.

are you sure it wasn't a fake? It wouldn't be the first fake to turn up in a store, I'd imagine.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Did it actually say, "Made in Japan" (and/or have the serial number starting with "F"?)on the back of the headstock? There are non-MIJ Jems which cost less.

EDIT: Aw come on AcousticMirror and trashedlostfdup, regulars make (or used to make) threads like this all the time and didn't get the hard time he's getting. We want to encourage these types of threads, IMO.

yeah lets be nice to the newer posters. granted the story would have been far more interesting if he had bought the JEM. perhaps the JEM was a lower end model as there were several versions made. still great price.

OP while I want this to be more friendly towards newer members lets try to keep posts a little more interesting. a trip to GC while always cool (well there is potential at least) there needs to be something that makes it really stand out be it a great deal or at least the chance to try something a little more exciting than a Katana,
I imagine I passed on a Mona Lisa at a garage sale. While I was playing it I kept thinking this is really good quality for $500, but the white and the vine pattern on the fret board was just to much. I was also thinking a big red rose on the front would have finished it off. Oh well at least I got a new found respect for ibanez guitar.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD