Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

Thought this might be a fun thread. Wasn't sure whether to post in EG or GG&A, but decided on the latter, as I feel it encompasses all guitar gear!

Keep in mind that any elaborating on these is purely my opinion. ( So feel free to disagree! )

Things that have stayed the same

- I still like pointy guitar designs (I gravitated towards Explorers and Flying V's early on, still love them). I find them very comfortable to sit with too.
- Still love the tone of Marshall JCM 800/JMP (and similar) amps. I like how they sound more than most modern amps.

Things that have changed

- I tend to steer clear of most high output pickups these days (whether passive or active), despite mostly playing metal/hard rock music. I find that an extremely high gain amp renders a hot pickup redundant for the tone I want, and an overdrive/boost pedal tightens the low end/adds gain on an amp that needs it. Plus non-screaming hot pickups tend to be more versatile to me. There are a few exceptions, of course.

- More love for strats and LP's. I used to think of them as a bit boring and conventional, but now find myself wanting one of each/realizing what timeless designs they are. Single coil cleans are my favorite, and an LP just gets downright chunky.

- Less use of locking trems/Floyd Rose. FR's are fun, but I don't use them much/have come to prefer the simplicity of hard-tails.

- More use of pedals. I used to be mostly a "plug and play" guy. Now I like to use things like delay and wah more than I used to.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I'm primarily an acoustic player, and my tastes in acoustic guitars really haven't changed at all in the 50+ years that I have been playing. However, I started getting seriously interested I electrics about 20 years ago, so that was a major change in gear. I would say that within electrics, my tastes have refined rather than changed, as you would expect.
Agree with most of your comments. I still like and need the versatility modeling affords me and the hybrid system is still my goto solution. I don't bond well with strictly SS gear and don't see that changing. It's gotten a lot better but still not there for me. If you don't have alot of money it's always about compromise.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Damn, Tony, you'ze OLD.

Considering that the only gear I've shed is stuff I've actually worn out, I have to say I'm a lot like Tony. My tastes have expanded and refined, but haven't really changed.

Exception: I no longer play cello. However, one of the tunings I use regularly completely overlaps a cello's tuning, so I can play pieces I used to play on cello on guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
not much has changed. i just keep buying shit... lol

I started out playing metal only in my early teens. I gravitated towards blues and now i play mostly blues blues/rock.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
-I used to be every obnoxious 16-year-old metalhead. NEED EMGS NEED FLOYD ROSE METAL ZONE ALL THE GAIN INTO CHEAP AMP WITH NO MIDS. Now even when I play metal I go a lot different route, and when I (very rarely) use ALL THE GAIN it's an HM-2 clone going specifically for that harsh buzzy sound.
-I used to think Teles were boring and only for country. Now I love them, I own one that I use for a big range of styles and I'd gladly get more.
-When I started I was very much a "must have The Best guitar" type, didn't care much about amps, spent large sums (relative to my means) on guitars and played through the shittiest amps and effects (which I didn't really spend time dialing in either). Now I've got a large stable of middling guitars and even cheap beaters, and appreciate what a good amp will do. (My amps are all fairly small because I don't gig, and they aren't like boutique quality by any means, but they're not "I think I need 100W so I'm going to buy the cheapest 100W solid-state I can find" like when I was young either.)
i've realized that practice is the best source of good tone.

gear matters, always has. but great gear is not going to make you a better player.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It hasn't changed much.

Still like pointy stuff, but I appreciate subtler designs more, as-well as strats. I don't care about the name anymore on the headstock, since playing more guitars it's obvious that a good guitar is a good guitar. I've moved away from pedals due to the sheer pain of setting them up, I usually get fed up of doing so at rehearsals and just stick a boost before the amp and be done with it.
I'm on the same page as the other old coots, Not so much changed as refined, or shall we say always evolving, Or maybe that's just collecting more shit, IDK, Heck I got everything from 35 year old amps to the latest model guitar synthesizer,
My taste in gear hasn't changed much at all in the last 30+ years. I have a lot more money than when I was 15, so quality has drastically improved, but the type of gear, not really. My playing style has broadened, but think that is natural.

As for equipment, my first real guitar I bought when I had been playing for about a year (Ibanez Roadstar II), which I still play today. I have others (ESP, etc), but my main guitar is an EBMM JP6. Sure it has some minor changes from the Ibanez (humbuckers, rosewood fretboard, quality of build and pickups), but both are the same style guitar, both black and both have a standard tremolo (that I never use). My amp has had several upgrades from my Peavey Backstage Plus and before my current Mesa Boogie Mark V 25, but usually it was how much I wanted to spend, more than anything else.

Lastly, I went from multi effect pedals to liking the individual sound and flexibility of individual pedals, to now, rarely using many pedals. Other than that, not much gear change.
- My taste in tube amps has largely unchanged. I still love Mesa Duel Recs, Mark's and 5150's and don't see myself falling out of love with them any time soon. But I don't point my nose up at modelling amps nearly as much as I used to, since modelling technology these days has become pretty damn indistinguishable from tube amps.

- I realized that Japanese-made LP's are so much better than American ones. In fact I'm generally not as elitist towards where a guitar is made as I used to be. Again, this is mostly because manufacturing good quality guitars has become easier to do more cheaply than it once was. Which means that more countries are producing more decent quality stuff than they ever have done in the past. When I started, Korean-made guitars were still considered cheap junk. You'll get lynched for saying that nowadays.

- My tastes in guitars in general hasn't changed much, they've just expanded to more guitars. I still love the guitars I loved when I was a kid, but I like Telecasters and Jazzmasters more than I used to. Still not sure if I'd want to spend a serious amount of money on either one yet though.

- I still like Floyds. They're a pain in the ass sometimes, but they're still worth it. If I don't want to live with not being able to change tunings conveniently, I just grab one of my other guitars.

- I used to think the only reason people played bass was because it was so much easier olololol. Then when I actually picked up a bass guitar, I immediately sounded like a guitar player, which is amateurish. I've (sort of) learned my lesson sense then. Truth be told, I still only play bass as a means of a recording tool rather than as a real passion.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
What I still like:
SG's, small guitars like Ibanez S and JS, and having the guitar low.
I will always hate digital amps.
Compact setups (combo amps, smallest possible pedalboards etc)

What changed:
I liked Mesa-type tone, now I love Marshall-type tone. I no longer like floating floyds.
I became a "guitar and amp only" guy, I liked a ton of effects before, now maybe a wah and a tubescreamer.
I no longer like extreme metal lol
Still Like Floating Floyd-Equipped Strats, Tube Screamers for boosting, and muffs with expanded EQ options. I maintain the same pedal types, just swap the models every so often. I dig my semi-recently acquired Rhoads, though still need to fix the intonation on it.

-Not using Whammys too much nowadays despite dedicating board space to it; had to sell my DT for space, got a PS-5 but it doesn't feel right without the treadle. My Line 6 M9 is what it is (good delays, alright modulations with volume drop), but I'll probably get an H9 Max at some point.
-I'm at odds with my XXX since it's none too tight w/o a boost past a Maiden level of gain on either dirt channel and not the best gain range (very good amount of gain, obviously). Need to try different amp brands/models since the XXX is all I've known after truly developing an ear for tone.
-At odds with my Mayhem set in my So-Cal. High end doesn't mix well with fuzz's and I rarely have my crunch's treble past 1:00 too. Considering both a brass block (though, this is in general as well; it's on my TB-6-Jazz, Floyd equipped Rhoads and sounds great) or a full pickup swap.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Feb 19, 2017,
This thread is starting to shape up around a core of "didn't change much"...the very stereotype some gear journalists trot out when addressing why gear companies don't "innovate".

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by LysanderSpoon
-I used to be every obnoxious 16-year-old metalhead. NEED EMGS NEED FLOYD ROSE METAL ZONE ALL THE GAIN INTO CHEAP AMP WITH NO MIDS. Now even when I play metal I go a lot different route, and when I (very rarely) use ALL THE GAIN it's an HM-2 clone going specifically for that harsh buzzy sound.
-I used to think Teles were boring and only for country. Now I love them, I own one that I use for a big range of styles and I'd gladly get more.
-When I started I was very much a "must have The Best guitar" type, didn't care much about amps, spent large sums (relative to my means) on guitars and played through the shittiest amps and effects (which I didn't really spend time dialing in either). Now I've got a large stable of middling guitars and even cheap beaters, and appreciate what a good amp will do. (My amps are all fairly small because I don't gig, and they aren't like boutique quality by any means, but they're not "I think I need 100W so I'm going to buy the cheapest 100W solid-state I can find" like when I was young either.)

I can relate most to this, I think.

Things that have changed:

Electric Guitar
- I don't pursue just guitars, amps, and effects that are "for metal." My main electric is still my Peavey V-Type, with an original Floyd Rose that I put in there, but I don't care about high gain pickups or anything anymore (like when I was a teenager.) I have a JB and Jazz in there right now.
- Care way more about good clean sounds. Never would have tried a Vox when I was younger, but recently fell in love with the AC30 sound.
- Same as above, thought Tele's were stupid and for twang. I still don't like twang, but I played one recently, loved it, and now I want one. Sounds great for jazz. Still think they look pretty bad tho.
- Never thought I'd own/want an archtop. I have a semi-hollow now (also Vox) that I really enjoy.

Acoustic Guitar
- Play less classical, but that's not really a choice. I don't have the time to dedicate to every playing style I'd like. This is probably the biggest change for my guitar playing. I used to be primarily a classical player who dabbled in steel string fingerstyle and electric guitar. I was a small step away from auditioning for different conservatories for college.
- Less interested in percussive stuff than I used to be. I was never a huge fan, but the gimmicky slap-the-shit-out-of-your-guitar style has definitely lost interest for me. I do minor percussive work, but most of this style is way over the top IMHO.
My God, it's full of stars!
I recently realized that very little has changed. Started playing with new band and wheeled out the old stage rig:

PSA-1 with Boss GT-10 in 4 cable method into Peavey Classic poweramp and 2x12.
Well, it used to be 4x12 10 years ago, now the 4x12 is parked under my hunting trophies at home. The GT-10 became part of my rig when it came out (2008?), the rest has been there since 2002-3. I realized how good I have it while auditioning other guitarists - everything they brought in sounded inferior, modelers, pedal boards, even Mesa Recto heads.

In general I've discarded all V shape guitars. Got rid of some 4x12s but stil kept 1 just in case. I record thru it occasionally. I hated floyd rose guitars with a passion, in this band is what I play. Hated active pickups, that's what I play. Tone is still in the fingers as I don't sound THAT different. I probably wouldn't use FR and active pickups if it weren't for my current band. I need the dive bombs and it is part of the tone (speed, power metal, nwobhm).

Besides this band, I've opened up tremendously on other styles, blues, jazz, fusion. I have a grandpa style soapbar pickups on a goofy looking Godin. I've bought a lot of good sounding lunchbox amps for recording - Class5, LC15, Tiny Terror, Mesa Mini Rectifier. I use these a lot more for jams with friends and recording than the big rigs.

I get some good sounds with a mini guitar processor (Boss Micro Br) that I got as idea recorder and sometimes it is all the rig I take.

I still don't like modeling amps although I get passable results when needed.

For the most part, I play and record more simply, no big goofy setups or much of multichannel mic configs. I reamp a lot more. I overdrive my mic inputs some and use less gain on my amps. if you have analog mic pres, you should try this, it has been a revelation!
before:
LP>Stratocaster

now:
Stratocaster>LP
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
I don't think my taste in gear has necessarily changed that much, my understanding of how to achieve a particular set of results that I'm going for in terms of tone, response etc. has changed, and my approach has changed accordingly.

I do tend to favour smaller, simpler rigs, than I did about 5 years ago. These days it's "the simpler the better".
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
This thread is starting to shape up around a core of "didn't change much"...the very stereotype some gear journalists trot out when addressing why gear companies don't "innovate".

I don't see what's wrong with liking things that already exist.

I suppose the lesson learned is that guitar is at this point, about as innovative as it needs to be. No more, no less.

The usual suspects can be boring after a while, but you only have to do a few Google searches to find someone doing a new gimmick that claims to revolutionise guitar playing that everybody forgets about it after 6 months.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Oh, I agree. There are plenty of old designs that work just fine.

Innovators exist, even at the oldest companies. Not all of the innovations are worthwhile, of course. Some are released before being truly market ready...and some may well never be.

Still, there exists some real inertia within the market. A lot of it is derived from valid reasons like wanting to create certain sounds that may well be best done by using those tried and true designs. But there are also roadblocks in the form of simple misinformation and overzealous brand loyalty or other factors tha boil down to the belief that."only X can make sound Z."

Not much "taste" change -- it was always excellent as is.
Some of the gear itself has changed, of course.
Quote by Dreadnought
- Care way more about good clean sounds. Never would have tried a Vox when I was younger, but recently fell in love with the AC30 sound.

Same, Vox was "oh that's just like the Beatles right" until I was in college and became a massive REM fan. My main amp now is an AC10, with an extension cab hosting an alnico blue.

- Same as above, thought Tele's were stupid and for twang. I still don't like twang, but I played one recently, loved it, and now I want one. Sounds great for jazz. Still think they look pretty bad tho.

I discovered folk-punk and a Tele is absolutely perfect for that. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing design, of course, but it's grown on me, and the one I fell in love with is a partscaster with a really unusual trans greenburst finish that I think looks quite nice indeed.
It's hard to remember that far back. I started playing seriously 21+ years ago; not counting dabbling in acoustic guitar as a youngster. I guess you could say I've gone through "eras" in my playing. I always was into metal and hard rock, growing up in the 80s and 90s, and of course played the staple Metallica, AC/DC, Gn'R, etc. When I bought my first electric guitar, I was 18. At that time, grunge and "alternative" were hitting it big -- and I got sucked into that as well as listening to classic rock and current metal. I really didn't dislike anything.

With my first amps, I really didn't have an ear for tone and was always playing with way too much distortion/gain (which was crappy pedal or solid state distortion). I wasted a HUGE amount of time and money on gimmicky pedals and crazy sounds. Spent way too much time trying to get weird sounds and not enough time learning how to play guitar. 10 years went by like that. Still didn't know what good tone was -- well, I knew what it was, but I was trying to get it in all the wrong places. I had several Les Pauls and Strats -- all of them got stolen in a robbery -- luckily they were cheap. Bought another Les Paul after that but it didn't matter because I was playing it through an MG "halfstack." I still didn't realize that good tone comes primarily from your AMP.

Well, fast-forward a few years and I was pretty much into just metal. Extreme metal. Unlike a lot of people, I moved from the thrash of the 80s and 90s into heavier/harsher death metal and black metal; in my late 20s/thirties. I finally played a good TUBE amp in a shop (6505+ head and 412 cab) and that was it for me. That was THE sound I had always been after but never approached until then. I immediately sounded 10X better than I ever had. I sold all my pedals and a few other things, and bought a 6505+.

Bought myself some pointy guitars too. A Schecter Flying V and an LTD Explorer. Want to get a super-Strat going one of these years too.

As for effects, I really just use reverb and more seldomly delay. When playing high-gain stuff, I pretty much don't use anything except my OD to boost and an MXR 10-band EQ to get my tone just right. I play at stage volumes at home, and that's the way I like it. Recently I moved up to a 120 watt 6505 (5150), but it's pretty much the same tone I've had for years, just a bit louder and a bit more low-end clarity compared to my original 6505+ 112 head.

As for other tweaks; I'm going away from active pickups. With a high gain amp like mine and a boost pedal, I think active pickups push the amp too hard. I've noticed that even high-output passives sound better to my ears. I'm in the process of swapping my Schecter over to passives; gonna try a Seymour Duncan Nazgul in the bridge since I like my Black Winters so much in my other guitar. I've been finding lately that especially with my passive pickups, I can play damn near any kind of music I want out of my 6505, by varying my picking dynamics, adjusting the volume/tone knobs, and/or activating coil-split.

Anyway, it has been nice rambling for you guys. One final realization I've come to is that once you find "your sound" which primarily comes from the right amp, I've found that my playing ability has really increased, because I'm not chasing tone anymore. I've found that often, I just play to be able to hear my tone, because it's candy to my ears. I've also found that when trying other high-gain amps, I usually end up getting about the same tone anyway. If I can't get "my" sound, then it's not the right amp.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 19, 2017,
Past me:

6 strings are all I need
Distortion is all I need

Present me:

I really need that 8 string/9 string guitar.
I need this tube amp more than this crappy distortion pedal I have

Both are still crap at playing guitar though
Definitely more interested in the "Other" stuff now and maximising how to get what i want out of my brain into the sound I need done the easiest way possible. Switching Systems, Microphones used in recording/live, attenuators etc.

My interest in British built boutique gear has gone up as well. The pursuit for one amp that does anything (Mark V, Tourmaster etc) has gone and is replaced with more interest with 2-3 amps that can be run on a switching system. Also newer brands are interesting me a lot more. I love what Reverend are doing for example.

My need for a Dumble clone has greatly increased.

Basically going from the fun gear to buy, to either boring or expensive things.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Totally changed. I don't think I had much of a "taste" when I started, but early on I developed a liking for Ibanezes and Gibsons, and like every guitar kid I always wanted a Marshall. Nowadays, Telecasters and archtops feel more like home, and my favourite sounds are Fender cleans and Muff-esque fuzzes. I guess since that shift I have branched back out a bit more though, but Fender into Fender is still my favourite way to be.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Feb 20, 2017,
I've gotten into Fender-style guitars lately while I never liked Fenders, adding a CS Tele to my arsenal that I have a love/hate relationship with and while I'd never see myself playing a Strat 5 years ago, I'm actually thinking of getting one better than the Squier Bullet I own. That doesn't change I still think Strats are ugly guitars though.

I still like tube amps and tons of pedals, but nonetheless I have completely switched to the Kemper for all my amp sounds and effects. It's more convenient and practical for me and I actually prefer it by now. That doesn't mean I don't ever think of getting a tube amp again and build a pedalboard again, but that's more because of the fun involved in building a pedalboard and less about not having what I want and need.

What has changed is that I've realised there's no such thing as a holy grail in gear. I've also realised that even expensive stuff can be bad or just not work for what I want and cheaper stuff can be great if it fits the job.

So yeah, all in all, I like about anything I've always liked, but I just like more stuff now.
As I've grown older, I appreciate gear/music that are outside my usual wheelhouse a lot more. Plus, making more money means more gear. Something the 19-30 old me could never afford :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Started out in the early 90's with a used USA Peavey Falcon (Strat clone), a Peavey Bandit, and an Ibanez 60's FUZZ pedal. I ended up trading the Falcon a couple years later for a Jackson Rhoads Professional Std and added a 112 ext cab to the Bandit. I played mostly pop-punk and 90's rock/grunge with this set up until about 2005 when I really started getting back into the music of my childhood, 80's hair and thrash metal.

I still love my Jackson's and 80's USA Peavey's. But I've had about 100 guitars pass through my possession since then, and a gambit of tube and SS amp. I don't like getting my gain from pedals. The way I look at it, if I'm paying X amount of dollars for a high end, high gain amp, I want to get ALL my gain from the amp and have room for more if I so choose.

My playing style changed from power chording with the best of them, to articulate riffs. I'm still def more into being a rhythm player, but I enjoy a moderate solo from time to time.
Here's some more gear specific stuff that I didn't really elaborate on:

My taste in amps has gone pretty much full-circle - I always wanted a Vox AC30 when I started playing, now I have one and it's awesome. I learned to love Fenders, and still do, but I still find most Marshalls to be obnoxious noise-makers, I much prefer the sound of a good dirt pedal into a Vox or Fender than the sound of a Marshall for most things, but of course, there is always a time and a place for a good Marshall, I will not deny that. When it comes to making a big wall of distortion - I actually prefer solid state.

Guitars - the thing that has stayed the same is my undying lust for Gibson SGs. Considering they look a bit menacing, a good SG will sound surprisingly classy, given the chance to shine. The biggest change is, I like strats a whole lot more than I used to, but only if they are rewired slightly, so that I can use a tone control to tame the ice-pick tones of the bridge pickup without muffling the tone of the middle and neck pickups. With appropriate modifications, and set up in a particular way, I love strats, they can be very very expressive.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
been an interesting journey for sure. my tastes have changed over the years and in some ways (at least gear wise ) come full circle.

after a few crappy guitars I got my first "real" guitar which was an Ibanez strat copy (now worth good money but cheap then) . at the time I guess I really wasn't a strat guy as I didn't keep that guitar for all that long. now I'm a big time strat guy. I played super strats for many years with Floyd Roses or other locking trems. sold my last fr equipped guitar about 5 years ago and just use a regular fender trem. oddly enough my next 2 guitars were an SG and then a BC Rich Mockingbird (which is the only guitar I sold and truly regretted). I now have an SG and a BC Rich Eagle. for many years I was a metal player and went with the metal orientated guitars. I still play some metal but have tried to get guitars that cqn cover a much wider range and tend towards blues rock these days.

amps have always been a what I can find to do the job thing. back in the day higher wattage and big cabs were the goal now not so much. high gain amps didn't really exist when I first started so using a distortion pedal was the way to go. only have 1 distortion pedal left and rarely use it. of course I've cut back on my distortion use as well. I do tend to prefer "newer" style amps to the vintage stuff loved by many. my current amp has 3 channels and active eq both of which come really in handy at times.

pedals always been a pedals guy. had tons over the years but use only a few now.

I think the biggest changes for me have been playing style and my understanding of how my gear works. I have a much clearer picture of how to get the most out of what I have. back in the day I lacked focus and didn't take the time to learn my gear. of course the big thing is realizing that my playing has a bigger role in my sound than the gear.
Quote by monwobobbo

I think the biggest changes for me have been playing style and my understanding of how my gear works. I have a much clearer picture of how to get the most out of what I have. back in the day I lacked focus and didn't take the time to learn my gear. of course the big thing is realizing that my playing has a bigger role in my sound than the gear.

THIS
Quote by hecks
before:
LP>Stratocaster

now:
Stratocaster>LP
For me, I think it's Strat = LP . Different tools for different jobs IMO (but there's no debating the difference in how they play/feel).

Another thing that I think has stayed the same for me over the years (and fittingly so, with my love for vintage Marshall tone), is my love for simple amps. The most complex amp I've ever owned was a Mesa Booge F-50 head, and that was a pretty no-frills 2 channel amp (that I sometimes miss). The Fireball I've had for quite awhile now is almost as simple as some single channel amps!

And I think one thing that has definitely changed for me in recent years (and not to start any debates!), is that I've become more accepting of modeling technology. Not about to throw out any tube amps (or even stop buying them), but I'm pretty amazed at how far the technology has come, especially with hybrid analog/digital modeling stuff (i.e - Torpedo Live). It's becoming a real life-saver for apartment dwellers like myself who can't crank up miced amps at home for recording ideas. I think it just took me awhile to look past the old Line 6 stuff .
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

^ what is a simple amp though? Some of these simpler amps are actually a lot more robust and complex than the multi channel gizmo laden ones.
For example I'll take the Tiny Terror - gain, "tone, master volume...that's it. You can achieve so many different variations that happen internally and with the way you vary your volume and tone knobs, that say something like a Peavey XXX can't achieve on 3 independent channels and master volume.
Quote by diabolical
^ what is a simple amp though? Some of these simpler amps are actually a lot more robust and complex than the multi channel gizmo laden ones.
For example I'll take the Tiny Terror - gain, "tone, master volume...that's it. You can achieve so many different variations that happen internally and with the way you vary your volume and tone knobs, that say something like a Peavey XXX can't achieve on 3 independent channels and master volume.

ha my Ultra disagrees and can get any tone a Tiny Terror can and a whole bunch it can't
Quote by diabolical
I should clarify, as in amps very easy/simple to dial in a good tone with.

I usually use '59 Bassman, and Marshall 2203/4 style amps as a baseline, but I suppose I should include the lower wattage options out there today as well.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

My tastes in gear have changed as I've gotten more skills. Compared to most here, I'm not much more than a beginner (about 4 years total playing guitar). Three things I can definitely identify:

1. No more buying cheap pedals. I went through this phase and realized that if I want a pedal to sound good, I need to save up the money and buy a good pedal. A Chinese knock-off clone is not the same.
2. I only want to play good (mostly tube) amps. I started buying inexpensive solid state amps off Craigslist, then moved to slightly better and then slightly better than that. I should have bought a Valveking 112 and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on day 1. It would have been quite a bit cheaper that way in the long run.
3. I absolutely love MIA Peavey guitars from the 80's and 90's. If there is a more comfortable neck for my hands I haven't found it. While I like and own quite a few other guitars, Peavey T's, Predators, Firenzas, etc. are my favorites.
I have to agree with the simple amps bit. I have many amps but I spent the longest time going back and forth between a XXX and a 6505+ to decide which would be my main amp.

In the end I decided I favored the flavor of the 6505 to the XXX just a bit more, but a big part of that decision was that its a simpler amp. I can get all kinds of tones out of the active eq on the XXX, but its easier and quicker with the 6505.
Last edited by Xander_X at Feb 21, 2017,
Page 1 of 2