Hey guys so I have been playing guitar for 5 years and I am a sloppy guitarist and I don't think I am too bad at it. I can play some complex solos and stuff. I play mostly Megadeth and Metallica stuff. I know 2 scales and I found a trick to find all the notes on the fretboard. But my guitar teacher always used to say don't play parrot fashioned. That's what I been doing like I know some arpeggios and that. I also don't learn songs by ear because I am too lazy I use guitar pro and any notes that I think don't sound right I fix it up.

One thing I found out I suck at improvising like if I want to make a solo I am always accidently inspired my kirk Hammet and plays the same crap he does. Like in the key of e using the scale forgot what is is think its the minor.

Do you guys recommend moving away from heavy metal for a bit and discover new genres? I'm not too bad at blues making up stuff but in my eyes ends up been repetitive.

I do have alot of time just been focused on other stuff but what should I do?
Last edited by Dialupp at Feb 19, 2017,
The problem isn't that you need to play different genres. The real problem is that you lack the self-discipline to learn how to play the guitar properly.

Take up some lessons and stick with them. The internet is an endless source of lessons on how to improve yourself as a guitarist and a musician. The problem everybody has is finding the motivation to follow them for any length of time. Look at justinguitar.com.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I would say try some different genres get out of the rut you are in. Do some Hawaiian Slack key or Flamenco. Different genres make you approach the instrument in a new way and you can let it influence your playing otherwise. The knowledge base for guitars is a lot wider than metal .
Zhaezzy Oh yeah definently. I also did guitar lessons for 3 years though my teacher was good I did feel like we went over the same stuff alot of the time.
Dialupp I generally agree with the guys, who speak about discipline, but I can also recommend along with playing different genres trying new instrument (e.g. uke). That can give you a new look at your guitar practicing and possibly break the annoying repetitiveness of your lessons.
Udjine Ok I should just keep going over the stuff I saved from guitar lessons? Scales, also do arpeggios up and down the neck? Finding notes on the neck etc?
Quote by Dialupp
Udjine Ok I should just keep going over the stuff I saved from guitar lessons? Scales, also do arpeggios up and down the neck? Finding notes on the neck etc?

If I read correctly, you already know the notes. Now it's about taking notes and turning them into sounds. Try playing something you'd never think to play on guitar. Transpose a sax, piano, or other such melodic instrument part from a song. Doesn't have to be hard. Take a theme song from a favorite TV show, a jingle from a commercial, or a riff from a simple pop song.

Learning to play is like learning a language, only for some reason, we learn it backward. You didn't learn to spell "momma" before you spoke it, yet for some reason, we insist on learning musical theory and notes and playing mechanically before we learn to play musically. I'll never forget the day I played the first song I learned on guitar for my father. He took the beer away from his mouth long enough to say, "That was musically perfect, now make me feel it."

Remember the first time you were forced to read from a book in front of the class? You probably sounded like the "Dry eyes, itchy eyes" guy, right? For some reason, when you were reading "Dick and Jane" the sentence "Dick kicks the big red ball" came out with less enthusiasm than directions from Siri. Had you said that same sentence in the playground earlier, it would have been completely natural, right? We could go on and on about the association of reading vs that of expressing language. Music is the same, it is a language that you are learning to speak.

There's nothing wrong with memorizing arpeggios or even full solos, but what happens when you break a string or the band moves to another key? What happens when someone says, "Play Mustang Sally!" in the audience and the band kicks off in C and you're expected to keep people smiling and dancing?

Our language is more than simply a series of sounds. As you read this (if you got this far), you have translated what I've written and you hear these words in your head in your own voice. By the choice of words I've used, you made assumptions about my meaning. Each word has a meaning, but it also has a connotation or implied meaning. By itself, a word means nothing. In the context of a sentence, it become part of a bigger picture. As we paint more of the picture, more meaning is derived, not necessarily of the individual words, but of the piece itself.

So to boil it all down in my TL/DR, if you learn some small stuff by ear, you will slowly apply the letters (notes) and words (arpeggios, riffs, scales, modes) to the language of music. Sorry for my long winded reply that really just said - Take some small stuff and learn it by ear. You'll get better at it as you go.