I was feeling unhappy. A song came out of it in under three minutes - I usually take forever with zero success. I thought of Willie Nelson's quote: "You sing the blues to lose the blues." I wonder if my song was a blues song.

It's played on an unaccompanied acoustic guitar. The main key is in Am, but it switches to what could be either D or Bm (D, G, A chords) for a verse. I have no idea if this is something I'm not supposed to do or if I'm breaking the rules, but it seemed okay. Actually it might still be Am. I'm an idiot, you see.

What makes a blues song? Lyrical content? Simplicity? Belonging to a certain race or time period? Should my song be '[Insert Name Here] Blues' or just '[Insert Name Here]?'
Could we hear this song? If it's blues influenced, I think it's fine to have "blues" in the name of the song. And even if it isn't, it's still fine. It's your song and you can call it whatever you like. You could call it a symphony without it actually being a symphony.

Does this song sound like blues? No, but it didn't stop Mötley Crue from having "blues" in the song name. Also, you need to remember that "blues" is not just a genre, it's also (and actually first and foremost) a state of mind.

Here is a piece by Yngwie Malmsteen called "Fugue", but it has little to do with an actual fugue.

My point is, you can call your song whatever you like and most people will not have a problem with it. If you prefer calling it "[Insert Name Here] Blues", then call it that. Actually, sometimes people intentionally give their song a misleading name.

It's played on an unaccompanied acoustic guitar. The main key is in Am, but it switches to what could be either D or Bm (D, G, A chords) for a verse. I have no idea if this is something I'm not supposed to do or if I'm breaking the rules, but it seemed okay. Actually it might still be Am. I'm an idiot, you see.

If it sounds good, it is good. Who cares if it's an actual blues song or not, unless you are more worried about your song fitting the genre than sounding the way you like it? No, it's not against any rules to use D, G and A chords in an Am song. Why would it be? Again, if it sounds good, it is good.

I would say just write songs and don't care about the genre. There's no point with labeling yourself.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 19, 2017,
I can't post the song because of privacy and lack of confidence, but thanks for the advice anyway
Quote by Spinnerweb
I was feeling unhappy. A song came out of it in under three minutes - I usually take forever with zero success. I thought of Willie Nelson's quote: "You sing the blues to lose the blues." I wonder if my song was a blues song.

What makes a blues song? Lyrical content? Simplicity? Belonging to a certain race or time period? Should my song be '[Insert Name Here] Blues' or just '[Insert Name Here]?'

I'm reminded of a quote by the late British acoustic fingerstylist Bert Jansch. He learned blues style mainly from Big Bill Broonzy records, but also (aged 16) from seeing Brownie McGhee play. A couple of years later he met Brownie again, and played him one of his new songs, which was in blues style. McGhee said "That ain't a blues, man, it ain't 12 bars!". Bert replied: "You play your fucking blues, and I'll play mine."
Last edited by jongtr at Feb 19, 2017,
it sounds like a "if you have to ask.." question..

Do you know what a blues song sounds like?

Can you hum a blues phrase..an entire chorus ?

Do you listen to any blues music...singers..guitar/piano/horns etc

I think by your question..the blues has not been part of your musical education..thats easy to correct though..

Yes there are many songs with the word blues in there title that are not blues and there are many songs new and old that use blues devices in their construction

the advice others have given you is good..if you compose a song and it sounds good and you like it..call it anything you want,,
play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
it sounds like a "if you have to ask.." question..

Do you know what a blues song sounds like?

Can you hum a blues phrase..an entire chorus ?

Do you listen to any blues music...singers..guitar/piano/horns etc

I think by your question..the blues has not been part of your musical education..thats easy to correct though..

Yes there are many songs with the word blues in there title that are not blues and there are many songs new and old that use blues devices in their construction

the advice others have given you is good..if you compose a song and it sounds good and you like it..call it anything you want,,

Oh, oh, I know that one! It sounds like AC/DC's The Jack, but with less STDs. :P

I haven't had a formal musical education, but I listen to them a lot o: