Hello.
I was just wondering if there is so much difference in the hardware quality -bridge and locking nut specially- between the 100 and 200 series of the ltd guitars.
I say that because i just can't decide to go with a LTD M103fm (because the HSS that i like) or for a kh202 (for maybe supperior quality). They both have the FR special system. The only described difference is the pickups and look.
I've found the kh used with almost the same price than the m103fm new. But i already have a HH guitar. Than maybe the hss would be a nice one. What did you guys think?
Quote by jonomaia123
Hello.
I was just wondering if there is so much difference in the hardware quality -bridge and locking nut specially- between the 100 and 200 series of the ltd guitars.

I think the 100's and under use a generic Floyd Rose that's branded 'ESP' and the 200's use a Floyd Rose Special.

The FR Special isn't a particularly good bridge but at least you know what you're getting. No idea what the generic ESP-branded Floyd is like, but I wouldn't imagine it being any better. You get what you pay for with Floyds; the cheap ones are generally crap. I wouldn't buy a guitar with a Floyd unless it at least had an FR1000 bridge.

What can you buy used in your local area?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE
Well, i'm from brazil. So every thing around here is incredibly expensive, even the lower end stuff. Considering that im not a pro and i still live by my father and university help hahah my possibilities are very low.

With that in mind, im limiting myself to the low end products. Anything could be in pair with my other guitar (jackson js30 king v) but with addition of a floating bridge (that maybe in the future i could upgrade it).

My fear of used comes from, already being low end stuff, they are still a little expensive. But the alternatives that I got until now that interest me and don't blow my possibilities are:
Kh 202 - ($640 dolar/2000 reais) used +hardcase
Js32 kelly new ($630 dolar~/1950 reais) NEW
Ltd m103 ($610~) new
Cort x11 ($630~) new

The used market around here is not very attractive by the highprices anyways haha
What i've realized is that in the ESP catalogue, both m103, kh 202 and even higher 400 model share the "floyd rose special". Maybe is the same model but with crappier materials?
$630 for a JS Jackson? Wow that sucks.

The difference between the LTD 400's and the numbers below it are that the 400's have brand name pickups rather than generic ESP-branded ones. The 400 series LTD's used to be a lot more like what the 1000 series is now, being made in Korea rather than Vietnam/Indonesia/China. ESP basically downgraded them to what used to be the 300 series LTD's, which pissed a lot of people off because the old Korean 400's were actually pretty solid guitars.

The FR Specials are all exactly the same from one brand to another, but they're just not great bridges. The baseplate is hardened (which is a must for a Floyd to last any period of time), but all the saddles are made from cheap zinc. So certain parts of the bridge such as the string saddle blocks strip out very easily if they're overtightened. Maybe I'm just spoiled by higher quality bridges, but I wouldn't buy a guitar that had one and in your situation I'd get a guitar with a fixed bridge instead. You get what you pay for with Floyds and the cheap ones are a nightmare to deal with.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
$630 for a JS Jackson? Wow that sucks.

The difference between the LTD 400's and the numbers below it are that the 400's have brand name pickups rather than generic ESP-branded ones. The 400 series LTD's used to be a lot more like what the 1000 series is now, being made in Korea rather than Vietnam/Indonesia/China. ESP basically downgraded them to what used to be the 300 series LTD's, which pissed a lot of people off because the old Korean 400's were actually pretty solid guitars.

The FR Specials are all exactly the same from one brand to another, but they're just not great bridges. The baseplate is hardened (which is a must for a Floyd to last any period of time), but all the saddles are made from cheap zinc. So certain parts of the bridge such as the string saddle blocks strip out very easily if they're overtightened. Maybe I'm just spoiled by higher quality bridges, but I wouldn't buy a guitar that had one and in your situation I'd get a guitar with a fixed bridge instead. You get what you pay for with Floyds and the cheap ones are a nightmare to deal with.

Personally I haven't had any problems with my Special, but then I'm not very heavy handed with it and know better than to go cranking screws to death,
As to where the ESP stuff is made these days is almost a crap shoot, as there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what's made where and its price point, Assuming Musicians Friend site is accurate as to its country of origin tab, Which I would think it would be as the repercussions of ordering a guitar they state is made in Japan or wherever and it shows up at your door with a Made in Indonesia sticker on it could be a bit of a problem for them, But I could be wrong, But if you do take a gander at the site you'll notice some of they're high end spendy models are coming out of China whereas there's a couple el cheapos they state come from the US, Which OK I find a little suspect but hey that's what they claim, Might be fun to order one and see if it does show up with a made in Indonesia sticker, Push the issue hard enough and you might end up with a free guitar, Be cheaper for them than dealing with your lawyer if you know what I mean, Hey maybe Dannyalcatraz can chime in?
cort is actually the factory that all the guitars you mentioned are made in. so i think the cort would be the better value as you are not paying for a famous logo.
if you plan on using the FR extensively, i also would not settle for anything less than a FR1000. if you just want to be able to do divebombs once in a while, a Special ought to be fine if you took care of it during string changes.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
well, i'm gonna stick to the M103 then, thanks!
one last question that I have is about country of production.

Some places are selling models from China and other are selling from Indonesia.
wich one would you pick?