Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding one of my older guitars. It was my first guitar; it's a Tenara SD 26, a pretty standard beginner's guitar. I've noticed recently that with the first string the 11th fret is pretty buzzy and on the 12th, 13th, and 14th frets, it plays the same note (an F#), instead of E, F, F#. I thought it was because the neck was twisted so I fiddled around with the truss rod for a bit, but nothing has worked. Has anyone else dealt with this, and is there an easy solution? The only thing I can think of is that somehow the neck got bowed up by the body somehow. Thanks
Definitely sounds like some neck warpage. Look down the neck from the headstock (in line with your eye) to get a good idea exactly of how the neck is bowed/twisted/warped/etc.

There are resources online to help you get it fixed yourself, if it's fixable which odds are it is, or you can take it to a local reputable luthier to get it professionally fixed for not much money.
My God, it's full of stars!
und3455

A warped sound board could at the very least be a contributing factor. Sometimes when acoustics get older, the pull of the strings can rotate the bridge forward, causing a "gully" in front of the bridge.It's perhaps much more rare than the neck rotating upward and causing the action to be too high, but it does happen.

The symptoms you're describing, are those of an action which is too low. Now, whether that's the sole cause, or just part of the issue, I can't tell from here.

Stuff like you're describing, can also be aggravated by sanding the saddle down too much, (it would be sitting quite low in the bridge) You didn't try to make this guitar play just a wee bit too well, now did you?

On a slightly more serious note, the very low humidity often encountered in wintertime, can cause the top to "shrink" to the point where it becomes either flat, or more seriously, somewhat concave. (Which drops the action and also causes the symptoms you're describing).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 20, 2017,
I have a Walden on which that happens unless well humidified. Yea, the action is super low. Forced air furnace with floor registers was the cause.
The heel hump is a common problem. If it's caused by low humidity and is not actively humidified it can become permanent. Two solutions I have used is to set the guitar face down on a small tub of water or put a 1/2 pint glass of water in the case with the guitar. Natural humidifiers!
To fix the permanent hump problem I've used a piece of flat brass that covers three frets and hammer the frets on the hump to set them lower. Sometimes it works. If not it's remove the frets and sand the fretboard flatter at the hump.
Last edited by skido13 at Mar 6, 2017,