Page 1 of 2
Do you do it? When I play the guitar, I am sitting down, cross legged. It's the most natural way to play. I don't EVER play standing up. I even took the strap locks off my guitar.

People are giving me shit for performing shows sitting down. Band mates and audience people.

As a guitarist, is it my job to stand and entertain people? Or should I be allowed to sit down and perform?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

As a guitarist, is it my job to stand and entertain people?

Well that's why they're there, ya know. It's a show, not a sit-in-and-listen. They can do that at home for free.

I mean, you could get away with it if you were really old or paralysed perhaps or played up the same sort of stage presence of Robert Fripp but ya know, you don't quite strike me as that sort of person. Even Fripp stands up half the time.

Really, it just comes off as childish narcissism tbh m8.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
i sit down when playing to hide the massive erection i get from the sheer beauty of my guitar work
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Can you not sit on a chair at least and cross your legs? At least then the audience has a fighting chance of seeing you let rip on those scales and arpeggios.
I enjoy that king crimson performance. If people want to see people dance and sing they can go to a show like a play. I play the guitar. The act of playing the guitar isn't supposed to be entertaining. Usually people that do that shit make up for their lack of musical substance. Unless you're buckethead and you are doing nunchucks and karate kicks, or yoyo, there shouldn't be anything wrong with sitting down. Drummers sit. Piano players sit. Concert violin players and cello players and all those cats sit. The 80's is why guitarists have to stand. Even classical guitarists sit. Some jazz guitarists sit.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I enjoy that king crimson performance. If people want to see people dance and sing they can go to a show like a play. I play the guitar. The act of playing the guitar isn't supposed to be entertaining. Usually people that do that shit make up for their lack of musical substance. Unless you're buckethead and you are doing nunchucks and karate kicks, or yoyo, there shouldn't be anything wrong with sitting down. Drummers sit. Piano players sit. Concert violin players and cello players and all those cats sit. The 80's is why guitarists have to stand. Even classical guitarists sit. Some jazz guitarists sit.
Yes it is.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yes it is.

I think peppers means that actually playing the guitar is not the entertainment, but rather the music being played is, and tbh I kind of agree

When I saw Motorhead years ago they had some fairly local punk band opening, they were dancing/thrashing around like spastics and their playing was super sloppy as a result. They had a decent sound, and I would've liked them if they played properly

also my serious answer: Do whatever you want. I personally wear my guitar super high, so its in the same position its in when I'm sitting down. Yeah it looks dorky but idgaf
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Feb 19, 2017,
I think it's cool when people perform dance moves while playing guitar, but I don't feel it should be expected and that I should be ashamed for being boring on stage.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
slapsymcdougal
Says who?
Me.

And if you're boring on stage... it does suggest that your music doesn't move you, so why should anyone else be moved by it?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Physically move? I don't usually physically move other than head banging while listening to music.
i play with my Mac standing up

get on my level
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Then wtf is it supposed to be? Painful?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
IMO When I go to see a rock (or metal/punk/prog/whatever) band play, I'm paying for the performance, not just to witness their playing ability. If I didn't care about watching a good live performance, I would just stay at home and listen to the album, save a few bucks and the hassle of bussing or parking.
Quote by PSimonR
Depends on the music style. Classical and folk - sit down by all means, Rock, metal, pop, punk stand up. (I hate playing standing up too).

Exactly this. With certain genres like classical, folk, or even jazz and blues to some degree you can kind of get away with sitting because the vibe is more mellow or relaxed. If your music is high energy, standing up and moving around a bit helps contribute to the performance and gets the audience into it a bit. You have to play to the venue and the audience. If you're playing coffee houses and cafes sitting is totally acceptable. Playing rock clubs, stage presence is pretty important and you could lose bookings by not being engaging on stage. Think about how many "no-talent" (I'm exaggerating) local groups keep getting gigs because they put on an energetic live show, regardless of how sloppy they are musically. Also, standing is only one step up from sitting. Watching a band where everyone is standing still while playing or looking down at the stage/pedals the whole time isn't much of an improvement over standing. Moving around a bit, interacting with your bandmates, maybe strike a power pose now and then, it's not that hard to do.

I tend to practice both sitting and standing, when rehearsing a setlist for a gig I always stand. A lot of players set their strap so the guitar stays in the same position whether sitting or standing which is a good place to start.
Last edited by spacepizza125 at Feb 19, 2017,
I prefer to sit down and play classical style. Just gotten used to it.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
I prefer to sit down and play classical style. Just gotten used to it.

Same actually, although I still play standing up sometimes.

I only do classical because I'm fucking tall and hunching over a strat shape with it on me right leg is bad for the back. Plus it looks slightly more badass to have it pointing up like a big turgid cock.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
It's fairly good for posture too I tend to slouch when I have it on my right knee
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I extended it to my bass playing too, although soz for not actually being a good bassist:

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
I rarely, if ever, play without standing up. I rarely, if ever, punk out from guitar battles.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I find standing up while playing a lot easier than sitting down.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Do you do it? When I play the guitar, I am sitting down, cross legged. It's the most natural way to play. I don't EVER play standing up. I even took the strap locks off my guitar.

People are giving me shit for performing shows sitting down. Band mates and audience people.

As a guitarist, is it my job to stand and entertain people? Or should I be allowed to sit down and perform?

Can't say I blame your audience or your band for giving you shit for sitting down during a gig. How are you supposed to interact with the rest of your band or your audience if you're sitting down all the time?

Judging by the trash that you play, standing up is an absolute requirement.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
T00DEEPBLUE

Saw This Will Destroy You live and no one seemed to care one the guitarist was sitting down. They also make badass music, so that helps.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
T00DEEPBLUE They also make badass music, so that helps.

Peppers doesn't have that safety net though.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Learn to stand ffs respect your audience if you expect them to respond to what you're doing.

Or we'll have the new peppers thread: "people aren't headbanging to my music, they must be idiots, I'll be Buckethead Number Two, I'll show you all."
Quote by Bladez22

When I saw Motorhead years ago they had some fairly local punk band opening, they were dancing/thrashing around like spastics and their playing was super sloppy as a result. They had a decent sound, and I would've liked them if they played properly

I remember seeing Van Halen when they had Gary Cherone on singing duties and the opening band had this small guitarist who was playing whilst jumping on one of those small exercise trampolines. Bad gimmick but I'm not sure if they were taking the piss or not.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I think it's cool when people perform dance moves while playing guitar, but I don't feel it should be expected and that I should be ashamed for being boring on stage.

If your audience is paying you and happy with what you do, then by all means sit.
IF they're "shaming" you and bored with you (and in general disinterested in you OR your guitar playing), I'm thinking that your guitar playing career isn't going to go far.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
The act of playing the guitar isn't supposed to be entertaining.
lmao ok man I give, you trolled me hard. Had me going for a pretty long while there haha.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Feb 19, 2017,
i wish i could stand and play comfortably
maybe i should invest in a better strap and not the current cheap and shitty one i'm using now
better for the shoulders and back, i bet
Acoustic sit, electric stand.

If you're gonna sit... at least don't cross your legs and please tell me it's a stool (like a bar stool), not a table chair
jrcsgtpeppers

Essentially, you are asking if it is your job to entertain when playing a live show. The answer is, yes. When playing a live show with a band and drummer, you need to stand up and engage your audience. This is going to be a challenge for you now. You will find it easier with your guitar higher up on your body than you see many guitarists play. Even if it doesnt appear to look cool to you, do it. And stand up!
Peppers stop being lazy and practice standing up. Sure you can play that Augmented 6 string sweep/tap perfectly sitting in your bedroom, but standing up? Sounds like a sloppy piece of shit.
Only sitting down and playing will limited you, and at gigs make you look like a prick.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
just hang your guitar high

it's not much harder to play than sitting down and the pretentious musicians your music would probably attract would get off on that shit

I mean you'd probably hate them all for being too similar to you but that's how the world works
I wonder if TS has actually ever played a live gig.

I've seen your vids peppers, and your stuff fits more in the metal genre, and your audience ain't gonna hang around for some dude who sits cross legged on the floor, unless their stuff is amazing.

It's called stage presence, look it up.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
One would think, that the fact that besides King Crimson, there isnt any other band that has a sitting guitar player would be answer enough to this question.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Spinnerweb
Learn to stand ffs respect your audience if you expect them to respond to what you're doing.

Or we'll have the new peppers thread: "people aren't headbanging to my music, they must be idiots, I'll be Buckethead Number Two, I'll show you all."
I feel that didn't get enough attention.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Yeah feels more comfortable standing with the guitar way up near the armpits.

Standing is also preferable for piano/keyboard, somehow. Pressing buttons is more fun at that angle? I dunno.

Does anyone have a 7/8 or 3/4 size guitar?
Page 1 of 2