30 37%
PRS S2 24
26 32%
Gibson Les Paul 2014
12 15%
Voters: 81.
Page 1 of 2
Hi there,

I just wanted to see what people would recommend for a $1000 guitar. I play pop, country, rock, metal so I am looking for something versatile and can mostly handle all of these. I am not fond of buying used gears online as I have had bad experiences and since I am spending quite a bit of money. I would also prefer a guitar that has a thin neck. If you're wondering what amplifiers I own, I have a traynor ycv80 and a blackstar ID:260TVP. My current guitar is a Schecter Stealth C-1. Thanks for all the suggestions! The poll that was posted are just some of what my local store has to offer.
There's no way to compare any of the guitars you've listed to one another. They only thing they all have in common is that they have bridge humbuckers. Absolutely everything else between the 4 of them is different.

Asking us what we'd buy is pointless. Have you actually gone to a guitar store and tried any of them?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE

Yeah I have tried all 4. But I still can't decide which one to get from the PRS, LTD and the Fender. I'm wondering too if people who may have purchased any of these have issues with theirs.
If you cannot decide after playing them for a bit then you need to spend more time with them.

They're all very, very different guitars that are designed to cater to different needs. You need to find out which of the 4 you've mentioned caters to your needs the best.

What features are you actually looking for in the guitar you're thinking of buying? Do you want a vibrato bridge or a fixed bridge? Do you want a singlecut or a doublecut? Do you want an HSS configuration or an HH? Active or passive pickups? A bolt-on neck or a set neck? Those are the kinds of questions you need to be asking yourself.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
$200 used Classic Vibe Telecaster, and use the other $800 to pay a small staff to post on various guitar forums using your account with testimony of how it's "just as good" as everyone else's more expensive Telecasters.
JustRooster

Cynic.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by JustRooster
$200 used Classic Vibe Telecaster, and use the other $800 to pay a small staff to post on various guitar forums using your account with testimony of how it's "just as good" as everyone else's more expensive Telecasters.

Better start collecting those CV Teles/Agiles/Epiphones while they're still good bang for the buck; In 20 years time they're gonna be vintage!
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
hahahahaha014

Gibson SG 2016 run about a grand as do American Standard Stratocasters. If you are willing to go used, you can do better on price. My most expensive electric guitars are the two I listed and a telecaster Mexican, Special Edition that I bought new for about 450$. Good luck. Epiphone makes a good, inexpensive version of the SG and Squire makes an nice Bullet Stratocaster starter guitar, if you dont want to commit to the more expensive models. If you arent a working musician, I dont think you should spend a grand on a guitar but thats up to you. Good luck.
Last edited by invertedthumbs at Feb 20, 2017,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Better start collecting those CV Teles/Agiles/Epiphones while they're still good bang for the buck; In 20 years time they're gonna be vintage!

Don't underestimate the market bro. As she's a nasty bitch and can swing either way at any time. Granted I don't see the Asian or Mexican made stuff retaining much value over time, But if you go back and look at some of the old crap Japanese made stuff we had back in the day you'd shit a brick as to what you paid for it then as to what your going to pay for it now, Dude I still have an old Supro Airline JB Hutto I paid $25 bucks for back in the 80's. And granted I've modified it several times over the years, And the last was a major overhaul, Probably about $1000 in just hardware and electronics, Had I just left it alone and in the case from the day I found it at the pawn shop it would most likely be worth a lot more than it is today, Would it have been as much fun? Nope, Not even close
Of the four options id go fender. A strat with a humbucker is pretty versatile to play most genres.
Well I already have a Strat and LP that I like so... PRS. Don't have one of those yet. Nothing wrong with any of those guitars. If you MUST spend $1k and buy new, just do paper rock scissors until only one is left standing.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
All nice guitars man. I'm gonna say PRS as I'm sort of gasing for one at the moment haha!
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
The Stratocaster. You'll find a Strat in all of those genres. From surf rock and country to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, you'll see a Stratocaster on stage.
If I HAD to choose from one of those options I'd go for the Strat, but If I had $1000 to spend I'd shop around for a used Made in USA Jackson or possibly this:

https://www.electraguitar.com/products/eofmn-eoc

I might possibly go for a Reverend, because they have some models I really like, I'd rather get something that not everybody has.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well from your list I'd have to take the ESP LTD EC-1000. I have an EC-1001 today so. . . . . But I wouldn't pay $1,000 for it. I picked mine up used in really good condition for under $500.

If I were to spend $1,000 on a guitar I'd probably add a little more and it would say "Jackson Made In USA" on the headstock.

If you want an ESP that is more like a Gibson check out the E-II Eclipse - it has a chunkier neck joint and the back of the cut away isn't beveled. It also has a 305mm radius compared to the 350mm radius on the EC-1000. They are really different guitars.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Well if you've tried all 4 and still can't decide maybe look at some other models? No matter how cheap or expensive a guitar is- the one you buy should instantly put a smile on your face & feel comfortable when you play it
Definitely PRS. I wouldn't touch a Gibson with a stick, the LTD looks like a knockoff and Strats are just eh.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Last edited by Dynamight at Feb 23, 2017,
Quote by nastytroll
But if you go back and look at some of the old crap Japanese made stuff we had back in the day you'd shit a brick as to what you paid for it then as to what your going to pay for it now,

not really. the old "crap" is still crap and doesn't sell for any real money.

however the "good" japanese made stuff still does, and always has sold for very good coin. you can buy a used gibson LP standard for less than a well made japanese "copy". Look up what 1979-1981 Tokai LS-120's sell for, or even a nice LS-80. Most of the "higher end" 80's MIJ LP's sell for what a used gibson R8 sells for, or more.

i'm not picking on you, but there is a distinction between "cheap mij entry level crap" and "high end" models throughout the years.

of the guitars listed by the OP, i'd pick the flying V.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 23, 2017,
I would buy a used USA Fender and spend any leftover on possible customisations. Those guitars you have though are all different types, it's not so much about quality but taste and needs. You buy the guitar that suits the music you play (or plan to play) and that you like the look of. I'm a massive fan of Stratocasters, so I'd instantly be drawn towards that area, but if you want fat humbucker tones there are probably better options.

Don't get a V shape though, they are for posers and really not practical to use! Though there is nothing wrong with being an impractical poser!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
 Don't get a V shape though, they are for posers and really not practical to use! Though there is nothing wrong with being an impractical poser!

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Bigbazz
Quote by Bigbazz
I would buy a used USA Fender and spend any leftover on possible customisations. Those guitars you have though are all different types, it's not so much about quality but taste and needs. You buy the guitar that suits the music you play (or plan to play) and that you like the look of. I'm a massive fan of Stratocasters, so I'd instantly be drawn towards that area, but if you want fat humbucker tones there are probably better options.

Man, Dave Mustaine, Jeff Waters and Albert King are such posers. So lame, bruh.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter
Bigbazz

Man, Dave Mustaine, Jeff Waters and Albert King are such posers. So lame, bruh.

If you say so, don't forget Randy Rhoads, so lame!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by gregs1020

There's plenty of old crap sells well with the nostalgia factor. You can pick up and fix stuff that was total junk even in the 70s and flip it pretty easily.
Quote by gregs1020

however the "good" japanese made stuff still does, and always has sold for very good coin. you can buy a used gibson LP standard for less than a well made japanese "copy". Look up what 1979-1981 Tokai LS-120's sell for, or even a nice LS-80. Most of the "higher end" 80's MIJ LP's sell for what a used gibson R8 sells for, or more.

i'm not picking on you, but there is a distinction between "cheap mij entry level crap" and "high end" models throughout the years.

of the guitars listed by the OP, i'd pick the flying V.

Wanna buy an old Supro Airline? Sold for about $100 back in the day, Might want to add a decimal point to that budget if interested
At $1000 for me it would have to be a Telecaster. $1200 a Variax 89F. $1500 a Gibson Led Paul. I voted strat from your choices.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Feb 25, 2017,
Quote by nastytroll
Wanna buy an old Supro Airline? Sold for about $100 back in the day, Might want to add a decimal point to that budget if interested

there's one on reverb for $500, i could probably talk them down, i'm persuasive.
Quote by smb
There's plenty of old crap sells well with the nostalgia factor. You can pick up and fix stuff that was total junk even in the 70s and flip it pretty easily.

everything is an easy flip if priced right, but how much total junk do you want to waste the time fixing up, and selling? i'm all about flipping when it's an easy deal, don't get me wrong.
Quote by Tony Done
Like Teisco gold foils, you mean? Sorry, couldn't resist that.

i'm seeing them from $35 to $150. about the price of a tiesco guitar used on craigs.

a mij 80's squier IS a good example, they routinely pull $350-400 and didn't sell for half that when new. there's always exceptions.

Quote by Bigbazz
Don't get a V shape though, they are for posers and really not practical to use!

impractical? hell you don't even need a guitar stand. how much more practical do you need?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 25, 2017,
OP you mentioned country and pop, so I'd definitely go for the HSS strat or something similar. Of course you can play country on a humbucker, but I doubt it's gonna sound anywhere near what you want. Of course, for country I'd naturally pick a telecaster, but I don't think those are suited for metal. So I'd say HSS or humbuckers with coil split.

I'm far from being experienced in buying guitars, though, so read this advice with caution.
hahahahaha014

Jackson Pro Dinky for $899 and the molded Jackson case is $135. Bam, done!
Jackson Pro Dinky
Peavey Valveking 50 w/ Eminence Texas Heat speaker
Peavey 1x12 extension cab
Dunlop 535Q Wah
TC Electronic Hypergravity Compressor
Wampler Pinnacle Distortion
Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe (v2)
Fulltone OCD
EHX Bad Stone Phaser
EHX Pitchfork w/ Expression Pedal
Wampler Faux Tape Echo
TC Electronic HOF Reverb
TC Electronic Ditto Looper
Quote by Bigbazz

Nothing impractical about V's IMO unless you are unable to put your knee between the V so the guitar stradles your leg if you are sitting down
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Which Gibson Les Paul would you get for $1000 ? Probably a studio ?
And which Strat?
If you can get a USA-Strat for $1000, I'd choose that one.
Why ?
If I had a LTD, I'd GAS for an ESP, if I had a Gibson LP Studio, I'd GAS for a Traditional or Standard.
The PRS S2 may a also be a good choice, but I didn't play them enough to judge.
You can still buy the other ones later..
The Fender prob is the most versatile although I'd say that (depending on what style of metal you intend to play) metal might be difficult.
Gibson LP can handle Rock, Metal and has beautiful clean sounds though I wouldn't be sure with country on it. I don't really have experience with the other two models. But the Ec-1000 is said to be great price/performance wise. It is build for straight metal though...
Personally I'd go with the Fender.
Speaking of which, I found a Fender Select for less than 1000 bucks (ofc that's still expensive for me but it's less than half of the original price). It does have some issues with the finish (minor scratches here and there) but the actual wood is fine and so far it looks as if it's "brand new". I yet have to test it in person but I know that I love playing on this model in general.
What do you guys think?
Last edited by MFChtLbG at Mar 4, 2017,
The EC-1000T/CTM is LTDs take on an Import Gibson LP Custom. You can get it with passive Dimarzios, so it would be more versatile. There's also other LP copies that would do the job.
Page 1 of 2