Hello,

I've been out of the (hardware-based) multi-FX/amp/stomp modeler market for a while. I've had an X3 since ~2008, I'm reasonably happy with it, but I'm in the mood for a change. I'm sure in almost 10 years the technology has made leaps and bounds, and I was wondering if someone had some advice as to what would be a good upgrade from the X3. In the $300 range... I've started toying with Amplitube on my mac recently, I quite like it, should I just stick to that? I like the fact that it's updated regularly with new stuff... so far the amp models I got sound pretty good.

Thanks!
Quote by OliveG
Hello,

I've been out of the (hardware-based) multi-FX/amp/stomp modeler market for a while. I've had an X3 since ~2008, I'm reasonably happy with it, but I'm in the mood for a change. I'm sure in almost 10 years the technology has made leaps and bounds, and I was wondering if someone had some advice as to what would be a good upgrade from the X3. In the $300 range... I've started toying with Amplitube on my mac recently, I quite like it, should I just stick to that? I like the fact that it's updated regularly with new stuff... so far the amp models I got sound pretty good.

Thanks!

Figure in the cost of a dedicated computer to your gear budget, but if that's not daunting, then continue to go with Amplitube.

The follow-on to the X3 is the HD500 and the HD500X in the same price range, but the Helix is the major step up for Line 6. I'm guessing that Line 6 will be launching a replacement for the HD500 series relatively soon as well, since the 500's are growing long of tooth and that's a pretty lucrative price point, My guess will be that it will accept and utilize impulse response (IR) files.
The Zoom G5 is always worth considering, but it you're already set up for Amplitube why not stick with it? Unless you're looking for something which is easily portable for gigging, the PC based solution will always give you more options
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well actually I use a Macbook Air so it's really portable. So I'll probably stick with Ampltiube, yeah. Thanks! I've already got a couple of amp models (Fender Vibroverb and Engl Powerball for heavy stuff) and I'm really happy with them... Thank you!