I need to get a delay pedal for my ambient pedalboard. I admit delay is not one of my favorite effects; i tend to like delays adding more to what I'm playing without the repeats getting in the way.

I think that the mxr carbon copy analog is a good delay pedal. From what I've seen its dark and doesn't get in the way. Now my question is this: there are many digital delays that have an analog setting. Do you think it would be better to have a pure analog or something that can do both but maybe not as good as a pure analog?

I will most likely get an analog and a digital but still wanted to ask the community their thoughts.

Edit: also considering a malekko ekko 616 for an analog pedal
FlawlessSubZero Typically, it is easier for digital to sound and act like an analog delay than for an analog delay to sound and act like digital. I would get a solid digital delay with plenty of sounds and be done with it. If you have $$$, Strymon Timeline. Or $, Line 6 DL4.
Quote by FlawlessSubZero
I need to get a delay pedal for my ambient pedalboard. I admit delay is not one of my favorite effects; i tend to like delays adding more to what I'm playing without the repeats getting in the way.
Also those two statements contradict each other...
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 19, 2017,
I agree with will on the contradiction.
Delay is a big part of ambiance, get that effect level down and feedback up. you must be making the each delay too pronounced
I should have clarified better. I meant i don't prefer delays that are very audible/high mix. I prefer them to sit more in the back, still adding depth but not getting in the way. If that makes any sense
Source Audio Nemesis have a convincing analog engine (its a digital delay pedal and a damn good one). With presents you can use whatever suits the songs you're playing.
Both are important, especially with an ambient board. Ambient guitar music was built on long tape delays, and it is impossible to get long delays like that without an analog tape or a digital unit that mimics it. Analog BBD devices can do short, warm delays, but nothing that is expansive...although they sound amazing when they oscillate.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by FlawlessSubZero
I should have clarified better. I meant i don't prefer delays that are very audible/high mix. I prefer them to sit more in the back, still adding depth but not getting in the way. If that makes any sense

yeah that makes sense I do something similar (although not ambient) seems to me for that style of music you need the delay and reverb to be more prominent. I like to use delay to fatten up my lead sound but usually add just enough in so it does that but not enough to where it's super noticeable either.

analog and digital tend to be different beasts. analog tends to give less precise repeats while digital give very clean exact repeats. honestly it would probably be a good idea for you to have both available depending on the song.
What is really "analog" in analog delays in today's market? I don't think any of these are really analog. Analog delay is something with a tape reel. I think there might be one or two of these delays on the market.

Depends what delay you're looking for. The fancier ones have tap tempo, even presets. I use two delays on my pedalboard and have programmed 2 on my multifx board. One is a echo type, style of Ritchie Blackmore or YJM, think of analog echo. I use a Modtone MT-AD for that. Delay with repeats comes out of a Boss DD3. All of them could be programmed to get out of the way, you just decrease the wet %.
^ usually if it uses an analogue/BBD chip it's considered analogue.

there's another level of confusing as well, the hybrid analogue/digital delays (which often use a pt2399 chip I think). That's a digital chip, but usually used in a more analogue-style circuit. More scrupulous manufacturers often call these delays "analogue-voiced digital" (or something similar). Less scrupulous ones often just call them analogue...

don't get me wrong, they can sound good, just i like to know what i'm getting.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i love my malekko 616's. it is well known. there are a reason i own three 616's and own one 616 lo-fi. BBD and under $100 used, you can't go wrong.

i don't love the CC, just sayin' i know a lot of people do. the 616's rape it in features.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by diabolical
What is really "analog" in analog delays in today's market? I don't think any of these are really analog. Analog delay is something with a tape reel. I think there might be one or two of these delays on the market.

Analog delays don't have to be tape and the terms have never been synonymous. There are dozens of analog delays out there, and more every year since they started reissuing BBD ICs. As Dave says, there are a fair number of faux-analog PT2399 delays (like your Modtone, actually) but to say that only tape delays are analog is a fundamental misunderstanding of what analog delay is. If there's no A/DA conversion, it's not a digital delay. Tons of pedals meet that description.

Carbon Copy (and Bright), Malekko 616 (and Dark, and Lo-Fi), Way Huge Aqua and Super Puss, Boss DM-2w, Ibanez Analog Delay (and mini), MF Delay, BBE Two Timer, Maxon AD9, Duncan Vapor Trail, and probably a half-dozen Memory Man/Boy/Toy iterations just from EH are all well and truly analog. There are lots more, too.
Quote by Roc8995
Analog delays don't have to be tape and the terms have never been synonymous. There are dozens of analog delays out there, and more every year since they started reissuing BBD ICs. As Dave says, there are a fair number of faux-analog PT2399 delays (like your Modtone, actually) but to say that only tape delays are analog is a fundamental misunderstanding of what analog delay is. If there's no A/DA conversion, it's not a digital delay. Tons of pedals meet that description.

Carbon Copy (and Bright), Malekko 616 (and Dark, and Lo-Fi), Way Huge Aqua and Super Puss, Boss DM-2w, Ibanez Analog Delay (and mini), MF Delay, BBE Two Timer, Maxon AD9, Duncan Vapor Trail, and probably a half-dozen Memory Man/Boy/Toy iterations just from EH are all well and truly analog. There are lots more, too.

many consider tape delays to be their own category. while "analog" in a very true sense they aren't the same as what most consider an analog delay. their are both digital and analog delays that try to duplicate the tape echo sound.
This is bit OT, but maybe someone can comment. I have only ever tried digital delays - an Ibanez DE-7 and various multiFX - and have never found anything I like in their sound, too sterile. I like reverb and echo used as a reverb is OK, both used very subtly. Do anyone think I might like an analog delay any better?
Quote by Tony Done
This is bit OT, but maybe someone can comment. I have only ever tried digital delays - an Ibanez DE-7 and various multiFX - and have never found anything I like in their sound, too sterile. I like reverb and echo used as a reverb is OK, both used very subtly. Do anyone think I might like an analog delay any better?

you might. less precise sound and shorter delay time. repeats tend to lose high end as it goes along. not sure how much like reverb they would sound.
Tony Done yes, you will. I was in the same boat. Hated my DD3 when I used it as lead delay. Now I use it for weird noise things and ambience but it did impart something sterile to the sound. The Modtone I mentioned is digital echo but it has analog filtering and is great especially for leads.
Quote by Tony Done

yeah possibly. I like both types (and the hybrid in-between ones too), but the analogue ones (in general) do seem to have a sweeter, more "natural" tone, if that makes sense.

That's not a guarantee that you will like them better, of course- but from what you said you didn't like about the digitals, there's a fighting chance you might.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?