I am getting my Les Paul set up tomorrow and I am trying to figure out what strings to have put on it. I primarily play in E Standard, but for certain songs I use Drop D and Drop C. For the longest time I did all of that with Ernie Ball 10-46, which is probably the most common string gauge I would think. So, would 10-52 or 10-52 with a 54 on the 6th string instead of the 52 work to switch between E Standard, Drop D, Drop C, and maybe even Drop A if I so choose? I don't have multiple guitars that I can have with different string gauges and tunings, so I have been mostly swapping tunings on my les paul on the spot.
I would advise getting at least one other guitar. All that retuning without a proper setup is going to make your intonation and neck relief total dildos.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Yeah you should probably get a 26.5" 7 String or a Baritone of you want to go to Drop A.

Or just play a bass.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
I thought one of the guitarists from In Flames did drop B on an LP, but that was with 12-60 sets. Drop A...eh, at least a 25.5" scale for the second guitar.

You'd probably be fine, or at least minimal hassle going Drop D to D Standard. On a 25.5" scale, I use a 56 gauge string for B in drop B and a 10-56 set for my 7-string in standard tuning. A is floppy without being at least 60...on a 25.5" scale. You want to go that low, awesome! I like that stuff too, but that's why I have multiple guitars. If nothing else, a used Squier Bullet or Ibanez Gio can be had under $100. Not mind-blowing, but for some experimentation those would be worth a shot. Also consider that a heavier gauge set might not work to stretch up to standard tuning.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Meh, with thick enough strings dropA works on 24.75". At least for me. I think i put on a 12-56 gauge, and it did B standard ok, and was playable in dropA

But as far as OP goes, you should get another guitar. Its gonna be near to impossible to find a set of strings that is gona play comfortable in all those tunings, and even if you do, you will have to do almost a complete setup if you want it to play properly.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
The cheapest option would probably be to setup for e/drop d and get a Digitech Drop, but IIRC once you hit that low B/A, it's going to do very bad things to your tone.

Not that it's totally transparent in the first few semitones, but it gets worse when you go further down.
Okay, so I noticed the issue with neck relief and intonation, I think I will just buy another guitar for low tunings like that. Thanks for the help UG community!
Quote by gormanm2001
I am getting my Les Paul set up tomorrow and I am trying to figure out what strings to have put on it. I primarily play in E Standard, but for certain songs I use Drop D and Drop C. For the longest time I did all of that with Ernie Ball 10-46, which is probably the most common string gauge I would think. So, would 10-52 or 10-52 with a 54 on the 6th string instead of the 52 work to switch between E Standard, Drop D, Drop C, and maybe even Drop A if I so choose? I don't have multiple guitars that I can have with different string gauges and tunings, so I have been mostly swapping tunings on my les paul on the spot.

Nah -- that's just going to be problematic, I think.
I just picked up a 7-string LP-alike with a 27" scale (24 frets). That's not SO much for lowered tunings as it is for more range at certain positions, but it does provide cleaner low end and a B string for starters.

If you're swapping tunings a lot, look into one of the Line 6 Variax guitars; alternate tunings all the way to a full octave down with no string tension change.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 20, 2017,
I'm actually looking into an Ibanez RGD or a PRS SE 277 for drop A. I have an EVH wolfgang HT in drop A now with 13-56 set and I find them pretty loose. Not to mention the bridge and fine tuner really don't work well with a 56.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Get 13-62 from Daddario or custom set of 13-17-26-36-46-68/72. Mainly Les Paul isnt that good for B and A Tunning. For B and A 25"5 is perfect. If you want to get lower G# or so 26"5/27
U wot m8? 10-52 for drop A? I use them in E standard and they are a bit too soft...
bjgrifter It's Drop A#/Bb with 13 to 68, Maybe? Not entirely sure. It's in the upper 60s at least.

To TS, buy another guitar. You're gonna have a bad time going from E standard to Drop A. I use 10-52 for Drop C#/Db and it's just about right, considering I have a 25.5.

If A is as you're going, a 24.75 guitar specifically set up for that tuning would be fine. Even then it's iffy, you'd have a slight bit of luck with a 25.5. Even then you'd most likely run into some headaches intonating that low A. Either way, if you're set on using one guitar for those tunings, you'll learn through trial and error that you shouldn't bounce between tunings that are so drastic. Good luck dude.
Now, to answer your question. Try 11-54. 11s in standard aren't too tight. Any bit of extra tension will help in Drop A anyways.