Hi everyone,

so my life has changed quite a lot since I left university a couple of years back.
Even though I now, for the first time ever, have the funds to buy good gear and lessons, I have never managed to pursue guitar with the same discipline as I did in university.

What is definitely gone is the prospect of playing in a band as I am now a long-distance weekend commuter. Also, chasing parties and girls has been replaced by the daily grind and the perpetual dullness of working life. After 10 years of never knowing any frustration with guitar playing, I fell into this hole.

For a very long time, I had pondered the idea of quitting guitar entirely as I hate half-assing things ...
What I have experienced throughout the last months, though, is an unyielding force drawing me back to the instrument. I feel that guitar playing is not a means to an end, but an end in and of itself. I'm going to do it until I die. There is no logical reasoning, let alone any prospect of physical happiness. There's only the fact that the intense concentration overwrites all worries and the slow progression towards mastery does provide a source of satisfaction unmatched by anything else.
That's all nice and noble and very Buddhist...ish. But it won't change the fact that it's no longer a strong relief from the misery that is life.

Question: What are some enjoyable things one can pursue as an adult guitar player who didn't manage to become a rock star in his 20s? Many people obviously quit at my age as life inevitably becomes this anxiety-filled nightmare of obligations, bills, taxes and subversion of any individuality.
I would very much like not to be tormented by thinking about how much I'd love to be in college and playing with my friends again. I never really wanted to be famous. Getting wrickedy-wrecked and scoring here and there has always been all I was asking for and it really sucks that it's over.

Also, I don't see a point of quitting my well-paying job and then opening a guitar school or something and end up turning guitar into a grind or end up broke in the streets. I can make time for practice, it's not the issue as I don't have any friends or other "distractions" anymore - it's just the lack of things to look forward to that messes with me.

So I have plans of maybe starting a youtube channel. You know, make covers, lessons, backing tracks ... and then read positive comments, block out/delete negative ones, and delude myself into believing how awesome I am. Sounds quite nice.

Can you guys suggest anything else? I'd love to do something with other people, but the situation is just too complicated for a band.
Last edited by Vingador666 at Feb 20, 2017,
Quote by Vingador666
Question: What are some enjoyable things one can pursue as an adult guitar player who didn't manage to become a rock star in his 20s? .

start a youtube/soundcloud and post covers of your favorite guitar songs / your own original music.
find people to jam with as well, being in a band is a lot of fun, especially when there's no pressure to succeed lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

There is nothing to enjoy about being an adult

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by k.lainad
start a youtube/soundcloud and post covers of your favorite guitar songs / your own original music.
find people to jam with as well, being in a band is a lot of fun, especially when there's no pressure to succeed lol

Yeah, I'll do the first part. Sounds like a plan.

But the thing with bands is: I don't see how it can be fun if you're not feeding your ego with worship or get laid.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Crom does not care if you live or die.

This guy gets it.
Quote by Vingador666

But the thing with bands is: I don't see how it can be fun if you're not feeding your ego with worship or get laid.

This guy gets it.
>wants to enjoy guitar as an adult
>is apparently still 15
Quote by Vingador666

LOLOLOLOL
even when I was like 13 it was still all about the music

if you wanna get laid, start making beats on a Mac and become a DJ / EDM producer srs
having wicked guitar shredding skills doesn't get you anywhere in this day and age.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad

if you wanna get laid, start making beats on a Mac and become a DJ / EDM producer srs
having wicked guitar shredding skills doesn't get you anywhere in this day and age.

But like when you get a chick for your guitar-playing skills she'll most likely be one you'd actually want to spend time with.

EDM girls tend to be more annoying.

Quality not quantity etc.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Crom does not care if you live or die.

Crom = Celtic God of blowjobs
Regarding guitar as an adult: I was really horrible when I was a young guy. I'm still not that great, my skills kinda suck although my touch is pretty good, but I just play to relax. It's kind of like tantra, almost.
> You played guitar solely to get laid
> You're at least 30 years old and only got out of university a couple of years ago
> You want to make a cringy guitar youtube channel to show off how awesome you are.
> You have no friends

In your defense, your life sounds about the same as all other youtubers.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
If you don't enjoy actually playing the guitar, you might as well just quit right now. Youtube channels and bands are fun but they're the cherry on top of the sundae, they're not the underlying motivation to playing the instrument.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
> You played guitar solely to get laid
> You're at least 30 years old and only got out of university a couple of years ago
> You want to make a cringy guitar youtube channel to show off how awesome you are.
> You have no friends

In your defense, your life sounds about the same as all other youtubers.

- I never said I played solely for getting laid, nor did I say I still do. But it certainly used to be an element of motivation that's missing now.

- "A couple of years" are 5 years now. It's really weird how it doesn't feel that way, though. It's not a high age to graduate if you study something solid in my country.

- I do admit to wanting to feed my ego. And I do believe it's a healthy trait for any guitar player or performer for that matter.
Quote by Vingador666
- I never said I played solely for getting laid, nor did I say I still do. But it certainly used to be an element of motivation that's missing now.
Getting wrickedy-wrecked and scoring here and there has always been all I was asking for

More to the point; playing guitar in the interest of it getting you laid is pretty shitty reason to be doing it.

If you want to get laid, why spend so many hours sitting in your college dorm alone with your guitar when you could be spending that time going outside and developing better social skills?
- "A couple of years" are 5 years now. It's really weird how it doesn't feel that way, though. It's not a high age to graduate if you study something solid in my country.
How old are you and what is your country of origin?
- I do admit to wanting to feed my ego. And I do believe it's a healthy trait for any guitar player or performer for that matter.

Not sure what ' feeding your ego' means exactly in your country, but usually the motive to do something in the interest of 'feeding your ego' infers that you're a deeply insecure person.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
For me, music is (in part) an escape from the daily grind. It gives me a creative outlet to focus on and let my frustrations out. I still play in a band and actively seek other musicians to jam with, because I enjoy the experience and I have a lot of fun doing it. I'm not trying to get famous or get laid, I just really like playing music with other people. Playing live is just a fun experience and more of a hobby now. Writing music is also just a hobby, but it lets me get creative and improve my skills. I practice and learn and try to improve my playing abilities for me, and me alone. Being an adult I'm now less concerned with being the fastest, most technical, loudest, and trying to impress other people (ie feeding my ego), I just want to play and enjoy what I'm doing. Some people join amateur sports leagues or whatever. I play music. It's fun for me, and I'll be doing it as long as my body lets me.
If you're not interested in the band thing, then Soundcloud or Youtube or whatever is a great place to express your musical creativity and share it with other people. Just make sure you're doing it for you, and not for outside reasons (like to impress people or get laid). Worst case scenario, you put down the axe for a while and come back to it when you feel it's time.
Playing guitar to get laid? How quaint, I actually prefer the wad of Benjamin's or a platinum Visa Card approach, Provided she accepts credit cards of course
Last edited by nastytroll at Feb 20, 2017,
My story is exactly the same as yours, lotsa musical fun at school and uni, then it had to take a back seat when I started working. I never gave up completely and it became a bigger part of my life again as I got older; I didn't started gigging until I was almost 50. Now I have retired, it is my major interest, and it keeps my body and mind active. My musical mindset is all about personal satisfaction, nothing do with performance or audiences, so it has become a series of technical challenges. You could think about looking at it the same way, you do it because you do it, nada mas.
Quote by Spinnerweb
But like when you get a chick for your guitar-playing skills she'll most likely be one you'd actually want to spend time with.

EDM girls tend to be more annoying.

Quality not quantity etc.

Groupies is groupies bro
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by Prototype4342
Groupies is groupies bro

Yea and Hookers are Hookers bro, Difference is you can tell a Hooker to shut the hell up and get busy.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
There is nothing to enjoy about being an adult

If you're a pussy.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Wubba lubba dub dub my man
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Fixing old broken junk that no one else cares about. Us old broken junk that no one cares about just need a little tlc.