So I had a buddy give me an old Tracer Deluxe '89 body, semi loaded. I'm going to repaint it at some point, after I figure out what mods I'm going to do to it. It looks like it's been dropped hard on both of it's horns at some point and took a couple of large chunks of paint out of it right down to the wood. This thing has some THICK paint. I'm looking for suggestion what to buy to fill these areas before a sand it down, prime and paint.

When I say "sand it down" I mean I'm going to take about a layer off probably. Just enough to smooth everything out and give the primer something to stick to. I completely stripped a Vandenberg a year or two ago before repainting, and I'm just not getting into all that again.
If you're going to be priming and painting it and the chips are only down to the wood you can use whatever you want; wood filler, spackle, etc. Just cram some in there, sand it flush with a hard sanding block to get yourself back to "true" surface level, prime and paint.

EDIT: The thicker a finish is the more likely it is to chip in big chunks like that instead of ding/dent/gouge. Granted a thick finish will "protect" the wood, but it will be fragile and dampen the resonance of the wood, which some people think affects the tone. If you want to avoid that, strip the thing down to the wood and refinish with lacquer-based products.
Last edited by lumberjack at Feb 20, 2017,
Thanks. I figured I'd get people saying that It's going to effect my tone. I play mostly 80's Hair and Thrash metal. I figure with all the gain I use, the tonal difference will be barely noticeable, if at all.
Yeah it really won't matter much - the tonal difference that varying finish styles bring out on an amplified solid body electric guitar is very minimal. Different story for hollowbody/acoustics.

Nitro ages more pleasingly from an aesthetic standpoint, but the whole tonal difference thing seems more like a marketing ploy than a relevant contribution to your sound.