Page 1 of 5
I got amps for blues and other stuff, I need something to destroy with, I'm 41 been playing since 14 and grew up on slayer Metallica anthrax Obituary seplutura DRI all that. I ordered a used VK 100 but I thought I want more versatility but decided I if I gig with it, I'm not playing covers, it would be just for heavy shit. If you listen to the main chug riffs in Gwars bloody pit of horror first song, I want that. I think I got it with the 6550 plus at the shop. Thing is, I'm getting bass stuff later so right now I only want to drop about 600. I can get the 6550 plus for that. I do want a separate clean Chanel too. Anyways. I got a cab with 4 12 celestion Greenbacks made for crate and will upgrade later, I haven't gotten enough time to crank the amp in the store yet, I will, it's always so damn crowded and some kids always practicing lead solos on it. I can only handle so much lol. Anyways, the VK didn't come in yet so I'm going to play both, but listen to bloody pit of horror from Gwar, ya think it can pull that off pretty good? Of course I play everything else, but if I start a gig, I kinda want that sound. Thanks bros, night.
6505 all the way. VK's generally have a hard time getting that brutal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the replys guys. Yeah i can get the 6505 plus used for around 600 so I'll try and test it out more. If you can think of another for about 600 used, that tone, reliable, separate clean channel, let me know. Hopefully 6505 plus is the green light.
I play a lot of Thrash and have gain to grow if I need it with the 6505+. The VK is going to disappoint for what you want I believe. I was going to agree and suggest the 6505 / + models, but you mentioned you wanted a clean channel. The 6505 series is not well known for it's cleans. I would look into a Peavey XXX (aka 3120) head. It has a true clean channel and can be found for less than a 6505 most of the time.

If you do go the XXX route, I would make sure it has the 6L6 tubes in it. The XXX is 6L6 / EL34 switchable, and when they changed the name to the 3120 you could actually order it with either. I just think the 6L6's are better suited for what you want, though I'm sure some will disagree. It's all in the ears of the beholder. Also watch for the XXX II amps. They're actually rebranded JSX amps. You could probably get your sound from either of those as well (JSX / XXX II), but I'm just letting you know that the XXX and XXX II are NOT voiced the same.
Last edited by Xander_X at Feb 21, 2017,
Yeah I agree with these guys. The VK won't get there. The 6505+ is a good choice from Peavey. The EVH 5150 III would also be good and has a better clean evidently.

I'm liking my Laney IronHeart Studio too. Maybe one of the larger versions would work for you as well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
There are other Peavey options if you want to go used. The XXX and JSX amps recreate that 80s and 90s thrash sound better than the 6505+ IMHO. I have both a XXX and a 6505+ and play them both all the time.
Quote by Jeffh40
There are other Peavey options if you want to go used. The XXX and JSX amps recreate that 80s and 90s thrash sound better than the 6505+ IMHO. I have both a XXX and a 6505+ and play them both all the time.
listen to the part in that Gwar song i was talking about, the part when the song kicks in main riffs, The Bloody Pit Of Horror. First song. That tone?
Quote by SUDJIAN
listen to the part in that Gwar song i was talking about, the part when the song kicks in main riffs, The Bloody Pit Of Horror. First song. That tone?

Well shit, that record came out in 2010. I saw Slayer, Anthrax, Gwar and Metallica and assumed something older and different. Not sure what amp they use, but it does sound a lot like my 6505+ in that record. You should be able to get one used for $600-ish for the head.
Quote by SUDJIAN

Yeah. A XXX / JSX can do that.

Both the 6505 and XXX have more gain than any person can actually use. They are voiced a bit differently, but can cover a lot of the same territory.

There are not too many high quality videos of the XXX on YouTube.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Here's one James designed a few years after the 6505, 5150 and others in the high gain Peavey stable, Granted a bit out of your price range but its definitely a nasty bit of business, looks as though this guy switched the power tubes to EL34b's though, Could be interesting, Ruby's Yea Ok personally I'd have went with the Tung Sol's and left the 6L6 But to each his own,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kustom-Double-Cross-100-watt-Guitar-Amp-Head-/272502970800
Last edited by nastytroll at Feb 21, 2017,
I just picked up a used vk212 about a week ago. I played it at the store and thought it sounded great. I found out after getting it home that it had been modded a little bit. It definitely has the bias pot mod, the preamp tubes were changed to a tung Sol, groove tube gold, and sovetek, and it had a pair of Texas heat speakers in it. There might be more mods inside that I can't see. TBH it sounds pretty damn good with a screamer in front of it. Last high gain amp I owned was a Randall V2, but I really like the sound of the valve king better. Not sure how a stock one sounds though.
Quote by Jeffh40
Well shit, that record came out in 2010. I saw Slayer, Anthrax, Gwar and Metallica and assumed something older and different. Not sure what amp they use, but it does sound a lot like my 6505+ in that record. You should be able to get one used for $600-ish for the head.

yeah i meant of course i want to play the old thrash stuff, but i want the tone of that Gwar song for my own gig, I like exodus too. Does the 6505 plus have good low punch too though???
It definitely has good low punch. But like any amp, especially a tube, it likes to be turned up, and its tone is only as good as the speakers / cab its sending signal to.

Also depends on your guitar set up. I get far less lows with my Destiny set up with a JB in the bridge and 1M pot than I do with my SL1 set up with a Distortion and 500k pot. And less lows with my V30 cab than any of my other cabs. That's not to say that the JB and the V30s don't have decent lows, but I'm just saying it's not all up to the amp here.
Quote by SUDJIAN
yeah i meant of course i want to play the old thrash stuff, but i want the tone of that Gwar song for my own gig, I like exodus too. Does the 6505 plus have good low punch too though???

Speaking of Exodus, Gary Holt plays a DSL 100. I think they are a bit cheaper than a 6505 IIRC. I think there is plenty of low end punch in the 6505, but it really does depend on your speaker cab.
I have a 120W 6505 Plus running through a 4X12 loaded with Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas Heat speakers 2 of each in an X pattern the Eminence speakers provide some killer low end, the amp is a face melter for sure, I highly recommend I it.

Gratuitus shot of my 6505+ and some of my guitars:

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 22, 2017,
Quote by Evilnine
I have a 120W 6505 Plus running through a 4X12 loaded with Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas Heat speakers 2 of each in an X pattern the Eminence speakers provide some killer low end, the amp is a face melter for sure, I highly recommend I it.

Gratuitus shot of my 6505+ and some of my guitars:

Bro you could kill an army with all the pointy guitars lmao lovem. Im coming over.
^^I wholeheartedly concur with Evilnine that the 6505 series will tear you a new one. I own both a 6505 and a 6505+ and they have gobs of low end thump. The 6505 (non-plus) has even more low end balls and is slightly more aggressive but both models excel at delivering brutality. In fact, the only amps I've ever tried that had more low end were Mesa Dual Recs, but in the end there is such a thing as too much low end and you can start to have problems cutting through a mix/stepping on the bass player's toes.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Thanks again for your time guys, what about this issue then..........you got the plus, EQ for clean and dirty seperate so when you hit your foot switch too clean, clean is already dialed in for clean...........on the non plus, you click over ti clean, but its EQ will be set same as your dirty right????

Can you put a clean pedal only to your clean chanel or something.......idk if im explaining this correctly.
The 6505+ has a separate eq for the clean/crunch channel while the 6505 has a shared eq for the clean/crunch and gain channel. Having the separate eq helps dial in a slightly better tone for your cleans.

You can set your clean to be clean or you can set it to be crunchy. Those are your options. The clean and crunch is the green channel. The high gain is the red channel. You can set your green channel to be clean or dirty. Your red channel is just balls out gain.

The XXX has three independent channels all with independent eq.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
The 6505+ has a separate eq for the clean/crunch channel while the 6505 has a shared eq for the clean/crunch and gain channel. Having the separate eq helps dial in a slightly better tone for your cleans.

You can set your clean to be clean or you can set it to be crunchy. Those are your options. The clean and crunch is the green channel. The high gain is the red channel. You can set your green channel to be clean or dirty. Your red channel is just balls out gain.

The XXX has three independent channels all with independent eq.

As Thunderpunk said, it is worth noting that you can't have pristine cleans, a really healthy Iron maiden crunch and also a modern melt your face off metal tone just by hitting the foot pedal on even the 6505+ like you can with the XXX (well the XXX won't do great modern metal but it gets close). You do have 3 channels, just not fully independent ones .With the shared preamp gain knob and Eq between the clean and crunch channels, it is a compromise.

That said, I really like my 6505+. I like my cleans a little crunchy so it isn't a big deal to me for most of what I play.
Last edited by Jeffh40 at Feb 22, 2017,
I played the 6505 plus a bit at the store tonight, once you turn it up it makes a huge difference doesn't it.....way more chunky tone.
Quote by SUDJIAN
I played the 6505 plus a bit at the store tonight, once you turn it up it makes a huge difference doesn't it.....way more chunky tone.

Yes and no. I've found that if you use a Tubescreamer or other OD pedal in front of the amp, it doesn't need to be turned up near as high to start sounding great. You're probably aware of the common technique of boosting an amp with an OD pedal (turn the pedal's gain all the way off, level at max, tone to taste), right? When you boost a high gain amp, you're driving the input tube harder but also cutting some bass going into the amp, which brings the tone into focus and creates more saturation. You can then turn the amp's gain down a fair amount so that it doesn't end up being oversaturated/muddy. Then, you can actually run more bass on the amp's settings because it will be adding bass to what has already been distorted; not sending bass into the amp to be distorted later which usually just results in mud. Without a boost pedal, the tone does start to balance out and get more clear and chunky -- but that happens at a much higher volume than if it's boosted by an OD. I pretty much run my OD all the time, regardless of volume.

When using a boost, and some tweaking to my EQ, I can get pretty much the same tone at bedroom volumes as I can with the amp cranked -- or at least close enough that I'm very happy with my tone and don't need to subject my ears to the full punishment the amp is capable of all the time. Naturally, it sounds better loud -- but that's mainly because the speakers are then representing the full spectrum of frequencies that are being fed to them. And as humans, we just like things loud.

As for getting "3 channels" out of a 6505+ -- it can be done, sort of. It helps that with the 6505+, the two button footswitch will switch the crunch on/off on the rhythm channel. On a regular 6505 head, the second button just toggles the effects loop on or off, with no way to switch crunch on/off without pressing the button on the front panel. I've found that toggling a 6505+ (on the rhythm/green channel) and getting a good clean sound vs. a crunch sound is less an EQ issue and more of a GAIN issue. Running 5751 tubes in V1 and the Phase inverter lowers the overall gain of the amp a bit and helps the cleans immensely (it helps even the high gain tone too IMO). But anyway, to get really good cleans on the green channel, you need to dial back the gain some, otherwise it breaks up pretty quickly. But then again, to get decent crunch on that channel, the gain needs to be at around 5 or better. So you're stuck with this decision: Do I want cleaner cleans or do I want more saturation on my crunch mode? Well, if you run the gain at around 5, you can boost it with an OD pedal, engage the crunch mode, and it'll be pretty gainy. Turn the OD off, switch the crunch mode off, and roll back your guitar's volume, and you should be able to get pretty clear cleans. That's what I've always done. Then, you can set your lead channel for brootz and have basically three channels.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
In fact, the only amps I've ever tried that had more low end were Mesa Dual Recs, but in the end there is such a thing as too much low end and you can start to have problems cutting through a mix/stepping on the bass player's toes.

I have one of those too:

TBH The 6505Plus pretty much stays under a cover because the Mesa sounds so much better and is more versatile with crystal clear cleans and 4 channels with 3 modes each plus 100w/50w switchable output. As far as too much low end when I am playing by myself there is no such thing I'll scoop the mids to get more low end, but in a band setting I'll crank the mids to cut through and let the bass do it's job.

SUDJIAN That picture is about 5 years old I have 14 guitars now (why not) a total of 6 MIJ Charvel/Jackson pointys I have pics of all of them on my profile.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
I have one of those too:

TBH The 6505Plus pretty much stays under a cover because the Mesa sounds so much better and is more versatile with crystal clear cleans and 4 channels with 3 modes each plus 100w/50w switchable output. As far as too much low end when I am playing by myself there is no such thing I'll scoop the mids to get more low end, but in a band setting I'll crank the mids to cut through and let the bass do it's job.

SUDJIAN That picture is about 5 years old I have 14 guitars now (why not) a total of 6 MIJ Charvel/Jackson pointys I have pics of all of them on my profile.

Nice ,
Quote by KailM
Yes and no. I've found that if you use a Tubescreamer or other OD pedal in front of the amp, it doesn't need to be turned up near as high to start sounding great. You're probably aware of the common technique of boosting an amp with an OD pedal (turn the pedal's gain all the way off, level at max, tone to taste), right? When you boost a high gain amp, you're driving the input tube harder but also cutting some bass going into the amp, which brings the tone into focus and creates more saturation. You can then turn the amp's gain down a fair amount so that it doesn't end up being oversaturated/muddy. Then, you can actually run more bass on the amp's settings because it will be adding bass to what has already been distorted; not sending bass into the amp to be distorted later which usually just results in mud. Without a boost pedal, the tone does start to balance out and get more clear and chunky -- but that happens at a much higher volume than if it's boosted by an OD. I pretty much run my OD all the time, regardless of volume.

When using a boost, and some tweaking to my EQ, I can get pretty much the same tone at bedroom volumes as I can with the amp cranked -- or at least close enough that I'm very happy with my tone and don't need to subject my ears to the full punishment the amp is capable of all the time. Naturally, it sounds better loud -- but that's mainly because the speakers are then representing the full spectrum of frequencies that are being fed to them. And as humans, we just like things loud.

As for getting "3 channels" out of a 6505+ -- it can be done, sort of. It helps that with the 6505+, the two button footswitch will switch the crunch on/off on the rhythm channel. On a regular 6505 head, the second button just toggles the effects loop on or off, with no way to switch crunch on/off without pressing the button on the front panel. I've found that toggling a 6505+ (on the rhythm/green channel) and getting a good clean sound vs. a crunch sound is less an EQ issue and more of a GAIN issue. Running 5751 tubes in V1 and the Phase inverter lowers the overall gain of the amp a bit and helps the cleans immensely (it helps even the high gain tone too IMO). But anyway, to get really good cleans on the green channel, you need to dial back the gain some, otherwise it breaks up pretty quickly. But then again, to get decent crunch on that channel, the gain needs to be at around 5 or better. So you're stuck with this decision: Do I want cleaner cleans or do I want more saturation on my crunch mode? Well, if you run the gain at around 5, you can boost it with an OD pedal, engage the crunch mode, and it'll be pretty gainy. Turn the OD off, switch the crunch mode off, and roll back your guitar's volume, and you should be able to get pretty clear cleans. That's what I've always done. Then, you can set your lead channel for brootz and have basically three channels.

So your talking about a tube screamer from guitar right to imput on front, so clean crunch and dirty will be boosted by it? Right?
The d rectifier is 1000 used versus 600 for the 6505 plus. I hope i wont regret not doing the mesa. Thats alot more cash.....sounds like alot more to hav to fiddle with too.
Quote by SUDJIAN
So your talking about a tube screamer from guitar right to imput on front, so clean crunch and dirty will be boosted by it? Right?

Yes
Wonder how the clean sounds with the screamer, i wanna at least be lout enough live for clean parts and not be too gainy, and then, doe it beef the clean prety good?
Quote by SUDJIAN
The d rectifier is 1000 used versus 600 for the 6505 plus. I hope i wont regret not doing the mesa. Thats alot more cash.....sounds like alot more to hav to fiddle with too.

You could always go for a used Single Rectifier.
Quote by ThunderPunk
You could always go for a used Single Rectifier.

So now you guys are gonna talk me out of the 6505 lol. As long as its got balls and i can figure a way to boost the cleans i think ill like the 6505 plus.

Trying to see what else is around 600 used with balls low end and clean channel.
Jeffh40
Gary used XXX's, JCM 800's, ENGL Savage and a Kemper on Exodus. He uses DSL's for Slayer live. You can hear the XXX on Tempo of the Damned (Exodus) or on Lazarus AD's first album.
LOVE Tempo of the Damned! And you can definitely tell its a Peavey ... If your ear is trained to them that is.
Quote by SUDJIAN
Im still leaning to the 6505 plus i think.

You won't regret it.. Pick up a couple JJ 5751 tubes, a boost pedal, and a an EQ pedal if it's in your budget. And remember, after a certain point in amps, tone is subjective. Some people prefer the Rectifier tone, but personally I'd never say it's a "better" tone. For the kind of music I play my 6505s beat a rectifier hands down. The Peaveys are tighter, cut through a mix better, and have mids that just grind in a meaner, more aggressive way. Just my opinion though. And I have a Classic 30 head for beautiful cleans so I don't really care if my 6505s can pull them off.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
You won't regret it.. Pick up a couple JJ 5751 tubes, a boost pedal, and a an EQ pedal if it's in your budget. And remember, after a certain point in amps, tone is subjective. Some people prefer the Rectifier tone, but personally I'd never say it's a "better" tone. For the kind of music I play my 6505s beat a rectifier hands down. The Peaveys are tighter, cut through a mix better, and have mids that just grind in a meaner, more aggressive way. Just my opinion though. And I have a Classic 30 head for beautiful cleans so I don't really care if my 6505s can pull them off.

lol I have a classic 30 combo
Page 1 of 5