Hey guys,

I have looked and looked for a solution without any luck, and as a poor student, I'm afraid to take it to a tech. So I'm hoping I can get some ideas here.

I have an Ibanez RG920QMZ with an Edge Tremelo. I rarely use my whammy bar, and my strings are not new. It has always worked fine, but recently, I noticed the tuning was a little off, so I went to tune with the fine tuners and eventually all of the strings started dropping in tune and the more and more I tuned, the bridge dipped and I could not screw the fine tuners anymore. So I set all the fine-tuners back to neutral, unlocked the nuts, re-tuned, and got everything in balance, but still, it goes out of tune, and when I use the fine-tuners to correct it, it puts all of the other strings flat and the bridge dips.

Please help!
What you're describing sounds like normal behavior. It seems like you need a better understanding of how Floyd Rose bridges work.

Of course increasing the tension of the strings in the action of tuning up is going to make the bridge lean forwards; that's exactly what a Floyd Rose is designed to do. A Floyd functions by the tension of the strings being counteracted by the tension of the springs in the back of the guitar. When you increase the tension of the strings by tuning up, the springs in the back of the guitar stretch to compensate. That's why when you tune the guitar up, the bridge begins to lean forwards.

This is ultimately because there is not enough spring tension in the back of the guitar to compensate for the tension you're adding to it by tuning up. The way you fix that problem is adjusting the spring claw in the back of the guitar, so that springs are under enough tension that they can compensate for the string tension, at the point were the bridge sits parallel with the guitar's body.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. There's tons of online sources that'll show you how to do this.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/How_to_Set_Up_a_Floyd_Rose_Style_Trem

As you increase the tension of the springs, you'll need to retune the guitar, which will lead to needing another spring adjustment, which leads to retuning the strings again etc. etc. until the bridge is sitting in parallel with the plane of the body and all the strings are in tune. It's at that point when a Floyd Rose bridge has been set up correctly.

As you've also found, when you tune one of the guitar's strings up to pitch, the other strings begin to detune in an attempt to compensate for the additional tension you're imparting on the bridge, in much the same fashion that the springs do. The way you deal with that problem is in principally much the same way. Retuning all the other strings when you tune up just one of them. And then retuning that one string you first retuned and tuning that up, and then retuning the other strings etc. etc. And eventually you'll get to a point were all the strings will be in tune.

It's tedious to do, but this is an inevitability when using a guitar that has a bridge that relies on striking a balancing act between string tension and spring tension to function properly.

This is the reason why it's so important to do your own research into how Floyd Rose systems work before you buy a guitar that has one. As beginners who don't understand how they work will find the system very aggravating.

If you find that owning a Floyd is a lot more trouble than its worth, then buy another guitar! Or block the bridge entirely so that it doesn't move under any circumstance, at the cost of losing any and all the bridge's functionality. A Floyd Rose bridge that you're never going to use may as well not exist.

I would not recommend you take your guitar to a tech. You need to learn how to deal with the Floyd Rose bridge being out of adjustment yourself, and the predicament you've found yourself in is an opportunity to learn.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE

But one question. I get it in balance and everything is okay. I lock the nuts and it begins to go out of tune even when it's locked. Could it be that the locking nuts aren't tight enough?
Quote by blooddrunk666
T00DEEPBLUE

But one question. I get it in balance and everything is okay. I lock the nuts and it begins to go out of tune even when it's locked. Could it be that the locking nuts aren't tight enough?

If you've tightened the hex bolts down against the strings a good amount, then probably not.

What can happen is that when you tightened the locking nuts down, you're effectively bending the strings into the locking nut as you tighten them down, which pushes the strings sharp. Some guitars with Floyds have a string retainer bar on the headstock that forces the strings to 'ramp' up to the level of the locking nut to help stop the strings from going so sharp when you lock the nut down.Your guitar likely has one.

If the strings still do go a bit sharp after you've locked the nut down, then that's what the fine tuners are there for.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
blooddrunk666

Put new strings on there too while you're at it. Old strings won't stay in tune and it is making your issue worse.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .