Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,
it's a simple question.. am i a good guitar player or am i doing just what anybody else can do?!

I'm playing guitar since August 2015 (almost one and a half years), it was my first time to grap a guitar.. i was 23 years old back then, and i am learning only from the internet.

The problem is that i always sound the same (when riffing or soloing), i can play a few cover songs, but wehn i try to improvise i do nothing but repeating my self again and again...!
I know a few licks, but i don't sound much melodic !
I'm REALLY frustrated.. whenever i play with someone i feel ashamed because they are better than me, or because i ain't a good player..

The most scale i play is the Pentatonic scale "almost the only one i play..", and especially the E min pentatonic (i know all the places on the fretboard for this one) and the A min pentatonic..
I know the minor scale(a little bit), and i don't know anything about the major.. i just thought when i started learning guitar.. well the major is not the best scale to play bad ass heavy metal stuff.

Well i can tell that i can play the following songs perfectly (with solos) :
  • N.I.B - Black Sabbath
  • War Pigs - Black Sabbath
  • Paranoid - Black Sabbath
  • Snowblind - Black Sabbath
  • Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
  • Into The Void - Black Sabbath
  • Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
  • Sad but True - Metallica
  • For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica
  • Crazy Train - Ozzy
  • Stairway to heaven - Led Zeppelin
  • Suicide Messiah - Black Label Society
  • Back In Black - AC/DC
  • Intro solo for Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

What do you think?
Please advice me!!

Finally please forgive my bad english..
Tanks a lot guys!
Give your self the time to be a Beginner... because no one started as a Professional.
Last edited by Murad_Alm at Feb 21, 2017,
One and a half years really isn't very long in the grander scheme of things. If you want to get better at specific things, practice them.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
You've been playing for 18 months. You can't expect yourself to perform miracles.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You've been playing for 18 months. You can't expect yourself to perform miracles.

Very true. In 1967 I wasn't near the guitar player that Hendrix was. But today I play much better than he does.
If you can play all of those songs perfectly then you're not a bad guitarist by any means. You're definitely in the intermediate swing of things. Imo a really good guitarist can improvise and write their own music, along with being able to jam with others and connect musically and have that inert understanding of groove. To me playing guitar should always be a more viceral thing than a cerebral. You can know all the theory and play hundreds of songs just off memory, but if you can't solo on the fly then what's the point?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by K33nbl4d3
One and a half years really isn't very long in the grander scheme of things. If you want to get better at specific things, practice them.
Yeah man, I mean I never even learned about different tunings until after my first year. But that may be because I was self-taught to the point that I learned things the hard way.

Anyways, I don't think you understand that improvisation is a skill in itself and you shouldn't pressure yourself into it until you're better at playing the guitar in general. I don't have any improvisational skills myself and just cover whatever I want, but with the skills I've learned by doing that, a lot of people do consider me good, so don't undermine yourself based on how you define "good".

Quote by Murad_Alm
The most scale i play is the Pentatonic scale "almost the only one i play..", and especially the E min pentatonic (i know all the places on the fretboard for this one) and the A min pentatonic..
I know the minor scale(a little bit), and i don't know anything about the major.. i just thought when i started learning guitar.. well the major is not the best scale to play bad ass heavy metal stuff.
And for what it's worth I don't even know what the hell all this stuff is because I never bothered to learn that stuff so logically you're bound to be better than me if you keep at it.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Feb 21, 2017,
Quote by TobusRex
Very true. In 1967 I wasn't near the guitar player that Hendrix was. But today I play much better than he does.
Are sure? I mean he did die young. He couldve been a rock god by 2017.
You could have picked up the guitar two decades ago and only been able to play Smoke on the Water and I wouldn't judge. Playing guitar is a hobby; not something to get stressed over.
"I feel like a one legged cat trying to bury a turd in a frozen pond."

DANMARK ØDELÆGGER ALLE
Quote by TROUnation
Coulda woulda shoulda he's not exactly tearing shit up nowadays
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
You're not bad and you're not great.

You're welcome.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Coulda woulda shoulda he's not exactly tearing shit up nowadays
He could still be alive. You never know... Hes probably playing some crazy metal wirh jim morrison. Conspiracy theory?
Quote by TROUnation
He could still be alive. You never know... Hes probably playing some crazy metal wirh jim morrison. Conspiracy theory?
i know ur out there pac
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
i know ur out there pac

Makeveli rises every 7 years fam, a black girl in grade 4 told me that.

Then she beat me up cause I looked at her ass.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by k.lainad
If you can play all of those songs perfectly then you're not a bad guitarist by any means. You're definitely in the intermediate swing of things. Imo a really good guitarist can improvise and write their own music, along with being able to jam with others and connect musically and have that inert understanding of groove. To me playing guitar should always be a more viceral thing than a cerebral. You can know all the theory and play hundreds of songs just off memory, but if you can't solo on the fly then what's the point?

I'd agree with the visceral/cerebral, especially as it pertains to improvising. Not gonna say I'm good at improvising now, but I'm definitely better than when I decided "wow, my improvising is crap" and wanted to change that. I spent months where I'd improvise over literally any music that was on at my house.
No, you're not a bad guitarist, but you aren't very good. You're like, barely good. Can you learn a similar song quickly from ear? Can you join into a jam session with other musicians and play interesting (not necessarily amazing) melodies without being overly cliche or repetitive? Can you play a song you already know and make it your own?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Not to rain on your parade but I doubt you can play any off them songs perfect. Being honest you probably need to work on bending in tune, vibrato, unwanted string noise, not having gain on 10 etc. It probably take about 3 years till you can play these songs and know what's happen theory wise.
i could be wrong though, Best to upload a video we can give you more helpful information.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
I call BS, 18months and ripping perfect solos...

Ah to be young again.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
Quote by Guitar137335
Not to rain on your parade but I doubt you can play any off them songs perfect. Being honest you probably need to work on bending in tune, vibrato, unwanted string noise, not having gain on 10 etc. It probably take about 3 years till you can play these songs and know what's happen theory wise.
i could be wrong though, Best to upload a video we can give you more helpful information.

a little harsh but there is some truth here. without being able to see a video or at least hear a recording it's not really possible to judge your playing. as others have said a year and a half is nothing in terms of playing time.

improvising comes with experience. as long as you have to think about it it won't sound natural. as you play more you'll just start to hear things and be able to play them as you go along. one suggestion I can make is to play to vocal melody lines. what I mean is to play notes along with the singer on a song which will help with flow and making it sound musical.
Just go on YouTube and watch tutorials by a guy named Marty whose a legend. Learn songs like smells like teen spirit and American idiot which just use power chords. Learning songs like that fully through in 18 months shouldn't leave u doubted wether ur learning or not?
Last edited by Gg52 at Feb 21, 2017,
You need to get yourself a Boss RC3 loop station pedal. laydown some simple basslines and chords and use a drum beat thats preloaded into the pedal. you will learn to play lead so fast its crazy. even just playing to a rhythm track with no bass....i had zero experience playing with others or playing lead before i got one. now im a great lead or rhythm player. and just listen to lots of weird and different music you wouldnt normally be interested in- its a great way to expand your mind and playing ability- seriously though- spend the 150 dollars on a loop pedal. you won't regret it.
Graham
I'd say for a year and a half of playing and the stuff you've listed that you can do that sounds about average to good for someone that's actually putting a decent amount of time into it. I've know people who've been playing a lot longer than that that would have real trouble trying to play some of those songs. Then again, I haven't heard you play. No way for me to know, but I'm guessing you probably still have trouble with things like timing, accuracy, string noise, etc. (that you may or may not be aware of) which would be perfectly normal. Really it's all about how much time you can put into it. Being able to improvise, solo, and write songs comes down to improving your ear and learning songs. Try learning some simpler songs by ear and then check to see how close you were. Ear training has a huge impact in all areas and is something you could always be better at.
Quote by TROUnation

Absolutely sure. I bet his fingers are so stiff by now he couldn't even hold a pick...
Thanks for all your responses guys!
i'd upload a video and let you judge, just tell me.. should i just improvise on something or play a cover solo/song ???
Give your self the time to be a Beginner... because no one started as a Professional.
Quote by Murad_Alm
Thanks for all your responses guys!
i'd upload a video and let you judge, just tell me.. should i just improvise on something or play a cover solo/song ???

I would suggest playing an actual song, that way we have a benchmark for performance.

And tbh, most guitarists who improvise stuff off the bat are boring as shit.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Playing those songs perfectly at 18 months is really impressive, I've been playing 2 years and I could tackle a lot of those but it'd probably be super messy
here's what you do bro, forget what any of these other idiots tell you.

go on your iTunes. press shuffle. play it loud of out of a speaker.

whether you know the song or not, begin to jam over the song with your guitar. you are a good guitarist once you start to achieve the following things:

(1) you know how to work with the rest of the song and not stand out too much as a guitarist - remember to not start playing the guitar until after like at least 15 seconds of getting a 'feel' for the song. ALWAYS start out slow, do NOT be that guy who starts by running through all the scales and showing everyone what he's got. once you've shown what you've got you can't do it again, make sure you save what you've got until the crucial moment.

(2) you can find the scale of the song and you understand which notes may sound good over the song, even if you don't know the name of this scale.

(3) you can improvise new melodies over the song which do not intrude on the instruments already playing in the song.

(4) YOUR TIMING IS GOOD. the best thing about practicing over music in this way is there is an intrinsic metronome for you to play over. make sure you are bouncing with the beat.

being able to play a setlist of songs is good and all, but you gotta make sure you have a spark of originality too. start developing your creative ear by playing over songs YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED OVER OR EVEN HEARD BEFORE!

Lastly bro and I can't stress this enough, start to make your own fuckin music. it doesn't matter if it's bad or good, try to write a shit song if you want. just fuckin write some music man. have fun
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Feb 22, 2017,
laid-to-waste
Thanks man!!!
great advice!!

really thankful for your response.!

cheers!
Hi guys,
I've uploaded a video of me going through a couple of Sabbath songs with some improvising at the end of the vid... i know it's a bit messy.. i think i could've done a bit better than that.. anyway, i'd be really thankful if you could check it out and tell me what you think.. it's a 6 min video, i hope you got that time to check it out..

Timing could use some work, but in terms of skill you're way above bad lol
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
Timing could use some work, but in terms of skill you're way above bad lol

Thanks for the tip!
i appreciate it
you're good cuzzy but try to notice that your timing is off at some points and on at some points, you need to really disguise your guitar playing with the beat otherwise it sounds disconnected
Quote by laid-to-waste
you're good cuzzy but try to notice that your timing is off at some points and on at some points, you need to really disguise your guitar playing with the beat otherwise it sounds disconnected

Thanks !

What do you mean by disconnected please?
Quote by laid-to-waste
otherwise it sounds disconnected
Quote by Murad_Alm
Thanks !

What do you mean by disconnected please?

i'm glad you asked. listen to the vid you just posted again, and listen carefully to the very first note, the low E string right after the slide. also, listen to the hi-hat metronome keeping the tempo. the low E note and the hi-hat should come at the exact same time, because the two are supposed to be connected musically. however is sounds like you played the low E note *just* before the hi-hat, so it sounds disconnected. what i meant by disconnected is that you have to literally become the drummer when you are playing, and strike when he strikes.

in some parts of the video you do that perfectly, in some parts you don't. your playing is great and very expressive though, but more practicing with a metronome bro. metronomes are very very very very VERY underused, and they're not as easy to practice over as one might think, but they are the most important instruments for a guitarist to have because they teach you how to remain constant as a well-timed guitarist
Year and half? You are good. Give it 5 more years and see if you can retain it. If you feel in a rut, play along with the radio, Random channels, and pick up some different rhythm
Last edited by geo-rage at Feb 25, 2017,
Quote by laid-to-waste
i'm glad you asked. listen to the vid you just posted again, and listen carefully to the very first note, the low E string right after the slide. also, listen to the hi-hat metronome keeping the tempo. the low E note and the hi-hat should come at the exact same time, because the two are supposed to be connected musically. however is sounds like you played the low E note *just* before the hi-hat, so it sounds disconnected. what i meant by disconnected is that you have to literally become the drummer when you are playing, and strike when he strikes.

in some parts of the video you do that perfectly, in some parts you don't. your playing is great and very expressive though, but more practicing with a metronome bro. metronomes are very very very very VERY underused, and they're not as easy to practice over as one might think, but they are the most important instruments for a guitarist to have because they teach you how to remain constant as a well-timed guitarist

Thanks alot!
great that you explained it this way to me!
Cheers bro!
I've been playing 10 years, and I love playing the opening riff to paranoid.

I'm more into writing my own songs than learning other peoples.

I'm not a great musician, but I like to think I'm okay at composing.
Page 1 of 2