Page 1 of 11
People swapping genders, saying theres more than 2 genders, the whole bathroom debate etc

What do you all make of it? Are things going too far?
RIP Tom Searle.
people can be what they wanna be
people take it way too seriously tho

if ur a dude but ur a girl thats fine and all but i see a dude so ima call you that ya feel?
You mentioned like 3 entirely separate issues in your post.
ggg1 ggg3

I don't have to play along with their delusion of being the opposite sex. It really is a mental disorder. That being said, if people want to swap sexes, that's fine by me. However asking society to change to accommodate people with a mental disorder is asking a bit much. Society should show tolerance, though. They are people, after all, with lives and feelings.

It's a misnomer, by the way. They really don't swap sexes. Essentially their new sex organs are useless...it's just cosmetic.
I dont get it either, its just a firebird with a fucking sticker on the hood.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by MH400
What do you all make of it?

Some people have different conceptions of themselves and have beliefs about their identity that don't conform to mainstream culture.

There are 2 aspects here:
1) The experience and beliefs of transgender people are legitimate. If we listen to them we can gain more understanding on how humans work, and whether some of our conceptions of humans may need some fixing. With the social justice supporting homosexuals, mainstream culture started to see sexuality as just a different part of a person (allowing one to be heterosexual, homosexual, etc), and not as a disease/aberration. We learned that there are lots of different sexualities, there isn't just 1 (where all others are abhorrent). What prevents something happening with transgenderism? Maybe there are more than two genders. If you don't listen to their experiences and don't stop to think about it and debate it, how can you really know if that's not the case?

2) Today, transgenders don't conform to mainstream culture. This makes them the targets of abuse, harrasment, violence, discrimination, death, etc. Many are driven to suicide, many don't get fair opportunities in life (don't get education/jobs/social circles/etc).
Whatever you think about the 1st point, we should always strive to make people happy, make people not suffer, accept people for who they are and try to stop as much violence and discrimination as possible. Even if you disagree with the concepts from the 1st point (e.g maybe you believe there are only 2 genders), this should still be a goal, don't you think? Shouldn't transgender people not be murdered, not be driven to suicide, be given a fair chance in life, etc?

Are things going too far?

No, they aren't going far enough (at least in terms of not letting good innocent people suffer and be subjected to hate, violence and death)
Quote by TobusRex
I don't have to play along with their delusion of being the opposite sex. It really is a mental disorder. That being said, if people want to swap sexes, that's fine by me. However asking society to change to accommodate people with a mental disorder is asking a bit much. Society should show tolerance, though. They are people, after all, with lives and feelings.

It's a misnomer, by the way. They really don't swap sexes. Essentially their new sex organs are useless...it's just cosmetic.

That's what i thought too, and then i read this.

I really don't give a shit what people want to do to themselves or tell themselves and feel about themselves. But getting all up in arms about other people not conforming to your belief systems is malarkey. MALARKEY i tell you. The rage against people who don't use the appropriate words (fuck that) or aren't hyper sensitive to the struggles of trans folks is horseshit.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Feb 21, 2017,
In terms of the actual aspect of transgenderism, I believe gender disphoria is a real condition and I wouldn't be opposed to studying it more (under a honest approach). There should never be an excuse to not study the human body and mind in more detail. I may be ignorant of some research and studies being done in this subject though (maybe some advances were made, there is already a scientific consensus on this subject, etc).

I also generally believe there are only 2 genders, but there are many many different expressions of those genders that is dependent on culture. For instance, gender roles depend solely on culture (with a bit of biology), and the way any individual approaches those roles is completely unrelated to their sex organs or their perceived gender. You can be a man but be feminine, you can be a woman and be masculine, you can be either a man or woman and just don't conform to any role and live your life in a more androgynous way. I don't believe those allow you to define a new "gender" for yourself and declare yourself genderfluid. You have a specific gender, but individually (based on your relation to your current culture) you can decide to express yourself and conform or reject any gender role you please.

I do agree that at certain points it gets muddy, since how "good" you feel with yourself and your own identity is very dependant on how you see yourself in relation to others in your society. If you see groups of "men" doing a certain thing and you are very compelled into it, but then you see groups of "women" doing another thing and you are also very compelled into it too, at what point does it stop being just personal preferences and "trying to fit in" and it becomes your gender? I believe there are many cases of people that fall into this category, and thus makes me doubt my above conception.

At the very least gender is very very closely tied to culture, even if it's generally defined by biology (but there can be a culture where it just doesn't). So anything is up for grabs really. If culture naturally evolves in a way where there end up being 2343 genders, then that's fine
#rapturethread
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Full support to everything
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by gonzaw
In terms of the actual aspect of transgenderism, I believe gender disphoria is a real condition and I wouldn't be opposed to studying it more (under a honest approach). There should never be an excuse to not study the human body and mind in more detail. I may be ignorant of some research and studies being done in this subject though (maybe some advances were made, there is already a scientific consensus on this subject, etc).

I also generally believe there are only 2 genders, but there are many many different expressions of those genders that is dependent on culture. For instance, gender roles depend solely on culture (with a bit of biology), and the way any individual approaches those roles is completely unrelated to their sex organs or their perceived gender. You can be a man but be feminine, you can be a woman and be masculine, you can be either a man or woman and just don't conform to any role and live your life in a more androgynous way. I don't believe those allow you to define a new "gender" for yourself and declare yourself genderfluid. You have a specific gender, but individually (based on your relation to your current culture) you can decide to express yourself and conform or reject any gender role you please.

I do agree that at certain points it gets muddy, since how "good" you feel with yourself and your own identity is very dependant on how you see yourself in relation to others in your society. If you see groups of "men" doing a certain thing and you are very compelled into it, but then you see groups of "women" doing another thing and you are also very compelled into it too, at what point does it stop being just personal preferences and "trying to fit in" and it becomes your gender? I believe there are many cases of people that fall into this category, and thus makes me doubt my above conception.

At the very least gender is very very closely tied to culture, even if it's generally defined by biology (but there can be a culture where it just doesn't). So anything is up for grabs really. If culture naturally evolves in a way where there end up being 2343 genders, then that's fine

Gender disphoria is a real condition in what sense though? As in a mental disorder? As in a disillusion? As in clinical, or is it philosphical? I'm somewhat curious to see you expand on that. Do you think it's nature or nurture?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Not my life so do what you want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Gender dysphoria is not the same as being trans, in case that's where this discussion is headed.
Free Ali
Quote by Acϵ♠
That's what i thought too, and then i read this.

That pretty much contradicts what I've heard post-op people saying after their operation.
people who think that the gender binary is universal need to read a goddamn book

like gender fluidity isn't even that big of a deal in some medieval european literature, which is pretty late all things considered. multiple cultures do have more than two genders or very different social organizations. their entire society isn't just wrong because you get butthurt over a dude who identifies as a girl

i dont get why people get so up in arms about it, honestly
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Everyone needs to stop making a big deal out of gender. Gender is a mindset, people can have whatever gender they want so really nobody should even take it seriously. There are only two sexes though, because that is based on body parts alone.

It does annoy me when people who associate as a gender that is different from their sex get annoyed with people who consider them male or female; especially if the person barely knows them. No matter what gender you associate with, you will always either be male or female so getting pissy about it is dumb.
Last edited by ehbacon at Feb 22, 2017,
Quote by ehbacon
Everyone needs to stop making a big deal out of gender. Gender is a mindset, people can have whatever gender they want so really nobody should even take it seriously. There are only two sexes though, because that is based on body parts alone.

It does annoy me when people who associate as a gender that is different from their sex get annoyed with people who consider them male or female; especially if the person barely knows them. No matter what gender you associate with, you will always either be male or female so getting pissy about it is dumb.
There are more than two sexes even when looking strictly at chromosomes.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by ehbacon
Others are statistically insignificant.
your points are just terribly qualified. Using mindset implies that people can essentially change gender at will, which I'm sure you would find difficulty with. While it may not be a biological trait, that doesn't necessarily make it so mutable past a certain point.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
your points are just terribly qualified. Using mindset implies that people can essentially change gender at will, which I'm sure you would find difficulty with. While it may not be a biological trait, that doesn't necessarily make it so mutable past a certain point.

Who said people can change it? Now your putting words in my mouth.
Quote by NewDayHappy
Transgender people are really weird people, at least the ones that I've cum across.

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I sexually identify as an apache helicopter
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
The internet's attitude to this issue is always a bit disheartening as it's a platform where serious untruth can be peddled with little to no consequence.

At the end of the day, many members of the alt-right (with it's obvious origins on the internet) seem to have this hypocritical stance of libertarianism mixed with "these trans folk aren't natural, we shouldn't accept their mental disorder".

One of the fundamental principles of libertarianism (which I still loosely adhere to) is the belief in complete, personal liberty of the individual. No one, not a government, a society or an institution, should be able to stop you from living the life you want to lead providing that your life does not impact upon anybody elses.

No theoratically the issue should end there; we let them get on with it. However, western governments are becoming increasingly more active in their involvement in society which has resulted in negative bias towards minorities. Thus the government has a responsibility to cater to these minorities in order to work towards an inclusive society.

These outdated ideas of nationalism and heritage are not going to help bring about the next stage of human evolution. We need to work towards greater unity, not division. Otherwise, we'll really struggle to expand from our planet and actually do some cool stuff like space exploration!
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
Gender is a construct. Some gender roles/norms are based off fluffy bullshit and some are based off real tangible correlations, however those correlations are usually stretched out to be universal law in terms of gender. Some of these correlations are the result of the fluffy bullshit, or even from historical development resulting from more desperate times in human existence that no longer apply for various reasons. Some of them are the aforementioned bad extensions of facts.

Sex can now be at least somewhat artificially changed. On the surface, at least.

Confusing gender and sex is dumb and people do it a lot. But if, when somebody says "I'm not a male" when they mean "I'm not a man" you call them out for making a category error, you are apparently a transmisogynist or something. That's pretty dumb.

Apparently some people get rid of the gender but are happy with their physiology. Apparently some people change both.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Feb 22, 2017,
Quote by rich.bendall
space exploration!
theoratically speaking, this was 223 words long and about 40 words of it was about the OP and wasn't an extended lecture on libertarianism

Quote by Prototype4342
I sexually identify as an apache helicopter
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
do whatever
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Quote by MH400
the whole bathroom debate etc

Its bad enough when it's a 50/50 stake but when there's a 66% chance or a 75% chance (incl. Disabled toilet) of ending up in the wrong bathroom society will surely crumble and we shall return to the level of dumb beasts.
We're not seriously digging up this armchair psychology and philosophy debate again are we?

ugh.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Ahaaaa, good one m8, never change pit
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Not my life so do what you want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pretty much

i dont get why people are so bothered by it
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by MH400
People swapping genders, saying theres more than 2 genders, the whole bathroom debate etc  What do you all make of it? Are things going too far?

- good for them. I look forward to technology progressing to the point where you can easily convert your whole body to a new gender. and all the crazy other variations on gender and form people will use that tech for (futa pls)

- people can be whatever they want in state of mind, it doesn't really affect me and it's not something I find abhorrent enough to judge people about, so I don't really care for the most part. However I'm not really keen on being around anyone who loudly wears their gender or sexuality on their sleeve, regardless of whether they are traditional "cis" or not. 

- all bathrooms should be unisex, just put a partition/room in for urinals. (and everyone needs to stop being shy about pooping)

- see #2

- nah.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Sometimes I wish life was more like a Heinlein novel, where we just swap gender/body when we want to, and walk around naked in our spaceships and have sex instead of small talk and eh... sleep with our identical twin sister clones?
Most stuff I couldn't really care less about, to each their own.

But I absolutely disagree that all bathrooms should be unisex.

Purely for the women's sake. Men as a whole aren't mature enough not to just piss on everything, so it's unfair to expect women to sit on a toilet seat that's covered in piss, as that'd be the case for literally every single public toilet.
If people want to be transgender that's their business I guess

I think people should go to the bathroom that they have the genitals for though. Also, unisex toilets should never be a thing because it's weird. Like in France, they have urinals just stuck all over the place out in the open and everything. It's weird. Stupid France.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by matt bickerton
Most stuff I couldn't really care less about, to each their own.

But I absolutely disagree that all bathrooms should be unisex.

Purely for the women's sake. Men as a whole aren't mature enough not to just piss on everything, so it's unfair to expect women to sit on a toilet seat that's covered in piss, as that'd be the case for literally every single public toilet.

i've never been in a womens bathroom but i think they are just as bad as the mens
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
I have been in a ladies bathroom and can confirm they can be just as feral as the mens.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by theguitarist
(and everyone needs to stop being shy about pooping)
No.

I want you all to feel the shame.

Feel it.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I still think fundamentally as men and women have different bodily functions/needs, we don't need to be progressive about everything.

Separate bathrooms have worked just fine up until now, to suddenly make them all unisex now would be to do so for the sake of it.