Greetings all,

Need help and advice for amp purchase prefer 1x12 combo, however feel confused on each as they heve their pros and cons.

Home used and nothing specific into anything genre.
Any owner and player can chime in for input? Thanks.
I was at the presentation of the Code line, and i thought they sounded pretty good. Nothing special, but ok. The whole phone app control really put me of tho, i find it annoying and unnecessary. The mustang and katana seem to get some love on this forums, so they are probably pretty good as well.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Depends on what kinds of tones are more important to you.

The Fender Mustang has some of the best clean and bluesy tones of the budget modellers and the Peavey Vypyr is in my experience, easily the best for rock and high gain tones.

I've not tried a Katana yet. Lots of people seem to like them, but I'm not entirely sure what they're the best at modeling.

Don't care much for the Marshall Code though. They're marginally better than the MG's, but that isn't saying much. The idea of using an app to control the amp makes the interface nice an easy to use, but I've not had a problem controlling any of the parameters of modeling amps in the past. So to me it solves a problem that doesn't really exist.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ahaaaa, thanks for the feedback. I have check however current vypyr is the newer vip range which pricey spec wise with smaller speaker if compares others.

Prefer clean tone but play metallica as well lol.
Quote by Joe_Perry
Greetings all,

Need help and advice for amp purchase prefer 1x12 combo, however feel confused on each as they heve their pros and cons.

Home used and nothing specific into anything genre.
Any owner and player can chime in for input? Thanks.

I have all 3, and I had both the Katana 50 and the 100, went to the 100, but I'll explain why:

Fender Mustang: As TooDeepBlue pointed out, it is great at cleaner and bluesy tones. The Fender has surprisingly creamy distortion and fuzz tones, considering that most of their famous tube amps fart like your great aunt Sally after Taco Bell when distorted. The heaviest songs I use it to cover are in the Iron Maiden and Judas Priest style metal, and it holds its own quite well. Hand down the best if you're playing in that genre. Fender provides Ableton Live 9 as well as Fender Fuse, which allows you to update the amp via your computer. The Mustang III v2 has the option of adding the 4 button switch and expression pedal as well as the included 2 button switch. The IV and V (head) can do this as well, but the 4 button is included and you have to buy the 2 and expression for full functionality. You can go with no switch if you want to use the panel or a computer to control them. The Mustang III and up have an effects loop and XLR balanced stereo out with ground lift for option of sending to the PA. For a gigging musician like myself, the option to send to the PA rather than making it harder to sing over stage volume is a no brainer. I use this amp for gigging, rehearsal, and recording. For gigs, I use 4 presets only: clean, boosted clean, dirty, boosted dirty. Great all around amp for $329.

Katana 50/100: I stayed with the 100. The 50 is plenty of amp, but the 100 has 4 presets, effects loop, an output for the PA (unbalanced 1/8" no ground lift). You absolutely need the connectivity of the computer to get the most out of any of these, as to change the effects and simulators out, you have to go to the BOSS library and use their software. You'll also likely need to update the firmware. There is an option for a 1 button (50 watt) or 4 button (100 watt) foot controller. This amp has the versatility that none of the others have and that's if you play acoustically, you can plug in an acoustic and it has an acoustic pre-amp built in. This is nice for solo artists or folks who don't like the tone of their acoustic through their electric guitar amp. This is not a true modeling amp, but it's easy to lump into that category. If 2 presets and 50 watts is fine, then the Katana 50 is a great value for $199. The 100's start at $329 for the 1x12, so the cost is a wash with the Mustang III v2. I use this for recording and gigging. In the case where I want (and have room for) a side fill, it comes in handy.

Marshall CODE: I had the 25 and returned it for the 50. This is my practice amp. Marshall decided to use a portable device app vs a computer based app for control. That's fine, but I've heard that it can disconnect on its own, and that's not very convenient if that's going to be the way to control it. I've only experienced this once, but had it been during a gig, it would have been one too many times. I wound up power cycling the amp to get it back. I did notice, however that the Bluetooth was still connected, but the app didn't know. I could play music through the amp, but I couldn't control the amp via the Marshall Gateway. They probably have a bug to fix in the app. I'm watching for updates. The 25 sounded fine recording via the software, but the speaker couldn't give me the same tones. The 50 uses a 12" speaker, and it holds up much better. I haven't gigged with this, but I could. My only concern with that is that if I had to, I would have to mic it as there is no send. $199 for the 25 watt and $249 for the 50 made it easy for me to upgrade when Guitar Center had a 15% sale and I was able to get it around $211 and change.

In the store, I tried a Line 6 Spider for practice. I just didn't like it at all. I too looked at a Vypyr, but for the $$, you may as well look at a Fender Bluesbreaker and get a real tube amp. The truth is that Peavey isn't even trying any more, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them either sell off or close down their amp line sooner than later. They have famously awful customer support and their music equipment line plays second fiddle to their PA line. They make their bread and butter selling PA and sound systems to airports, Walmart, and the like. They could care less if you buy their stuff.

All 3 of the amps have the ability to record directly as a DAW, but only the Fender includes software for recording. That all have an input for MP3s (the Marshall has a Bluetooth and wired option) and they all have headphone out. They all have options for foot switch controllers and all of them are quite expensive! The Fender 4 button switch is $70, the Marshall's is $80 and the Katana's is $100! Damn, that's a lot of extra money, IMHO. [Liine 6's best controller is like $250, so there's that.] All 3 have decent tones, though I would give the edge to the Katana for cleans and the Mustang for classic blues tones. I'm still dialing in tones on the Marshall, and I'm really getting some killer sounds from the JTM-45 modeler. I look forward to playing with the American and Blues settings to close in on what the guys in the video were able to get. If $$ was an option, I would compare the Katana and the Marshall 50 watt versions and see what I liked most. If you have the budget for the Mustang III V2, no question, I would get that.

You might also look at the Vox VT series as well as the Blackstar ID CORE. Please don't take my word for it, have a listen to some guys who hoped to give you an objective look at all of the more popular modelers.

I'll leave you with this, so you can hear them.