Hey guys -- I recently bought a Seymour Duncan Nazgul to go into my Schecter V -- which was setup for active pickups from the factory. I have another ESP passive pickup to go in the neck for the time being, but will eventually swap that out for a Sentient or Jazz. Anyway -- two questions:

1. I bought new 500k pots and a mono jack -- but in my haste to get everything together, I ordered the wrong length jack. Since it's a Flying V shape guitar, the stock jack is really long, and the new mono jack is too short to go all the way through to the routed section. So I'm either going to have to buy a new mono jack that's long enough or *preferably* use the existing stereo jack.

There are three prongs on that stereo jack -- which ones should I use/which one should I omit?

2. The second problem -- I'm aware that I have to run a ground wire to the bridge if I'm running passive pickups. After studying it closely last night, I can't find any way for a wire to enter the bridge cavity (it's got a Floyd Rose bridge). Since the guitar was built to run active pickups, maybe they just didn't anticipate that being done? Anyhow, I think I'm going to have to drill a hole from the electronics cavity to the bridge cavity, unless there's another way that you guys could suggest (does it have to be grounded on the bridge?). Finally, I see that a lot of times on a Floyd Rose bridge, the electronics are grounded on the spring claw -- but I have removed that because I prefer to block my Floyd. Can I solder the wire to the tone block of the bridge (I think that's what it's called) instead?

Thanks for your input!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM

There are three prongs on that stereo jack -- which ones should I use/which one should I omit?

Is this the standard stereo output jack that you see with most other guitars with active pickups? If so, this pic will help.

2. The second problem -- I'm aware that I have to run a ground wire to the bridge if I'm running passive pickups. After studying it closely last night, I can't find any way for a wire to enter the bridge cavity (it's got a Floyd Rose bridge). Since the guitar was built to run active pickups, maybe they just didn't anticipate that being done? Anyhow, I think I'm going to have to drill a hole from the electronics cavity to the bridge cavity, unless there's another way that you guys could suggest (does it have to be grounded on the bridge?). Finally, I see that a lot of times on a Floyd Rose bridge, the electronics are grounded on the spring claw -- but I have removed that because I prefer to block my Floyd. Can I solder the wire to the tone block of the bridge (I think that's what it's called) instead?

It doesn't matter which component you connect the bridge ground wire to as long as it electrically connects to the bridge somehow. connecting it to the block is unconventional, but it would work fine.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
you don't need a new jack. just replace the pots. just bridge the hot side of the outputs.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Is this the standard stereo output jack that you see with most other guitars with active pickups? If so, this pic will help.

It doesn't matter which component you connect the bridge ground wire to as long as it electrically connects to the bridge somehow. connecting it to the block is unconventional, but it would work fine.

Well, my jack looks quite a bit different than that, but the picture with the labels helps -- thanks! I tried to get it all installed last night but ran out of time. Redoing all of the electronics is actually fairly time-consuming for an amateur like me.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Update: This project is kicking my ass and pissing me off. It's taken me three nights to get everything finally wired up due to a lack of more than an hour to work each night. I finally gave up on using my stereo jack -- couldn't find a diagram of the same jack anywhere online and after trying several combinations couldn't get any sound. So I finally tried the mono jack I had (the one that is too short) and just wired it up and let it hang outside of the guitar. I plugged it in and fired up my amp -- no problems whatsoever. The Nazgul is one hell of a brutal pickup. However, my toddler was going to bed just when I finally got it running, so I couldn't play long. I figured I'd go buy a longer mono jack today and rewire the new one in and have a done deal.

Well, I went to the store and bought one of these:

And wired it exactly as the picture suggests. So now, I get sound, but the noise is crazy unbearable. As soon as I stop playing there is a buzzing noise louder than the actual guitar tone.

With the other jack hanging out of the guitar, it was silent. What gives? I know that everything I wired inside is fine because it sounded fine last night. I assume it's a grounding issue somehow, but what changed? When running a ground wire to the bridge, I did run into a hangup. For the longest time, I tried to solder the ground wire to the Floyd tone block but was unable to get solder to stick. I think it's just too large of a hunk of metal and the heat just dissipated throughout the piece instead of allowing the solder to adhere to it. So yesterday I drilled a hole in it, tapped it with a 4-40 tap and BOLTED the ground wire to the tone block. I assume that should still ground the circuit. And it worked yesterday with no noise.

Sometimes I just wish I'd pony up the money and pay someone who knows what they're doing.

EDIT: Nevermind all that whining.^^^ I got it working noise-free. .....
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 25, 2017,