How do I do this:

I have a true stereo amplifier: two preamps with two output sections. (L & R)

I want to include a stereo chorus, a stereo delay and a stereo phaser (90 degree) to my pedal board which also has mono effects such as compressor and distortion/overdrive.

All three pedals are 9v.

So for now, I can use my chorus with L&R outputs to both channels and get a true stereo output, but I can only have 1 stereo effect plugged in at a time.

Is there some sort of signal combiner I could look into or maybe a patch bay of sorts?
How can I take 6 outputs and turn them into two?

Thoughts? suggestions?
Thanks!
Don't those pedals have stereo inputs? If so, can't you just run them into each other post-mono effects?
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
First of all, you are not getting real stereo - it is only fake.

If you wire them in sequence then only the last one's stereo will be what you get.

So, the last output of the mono pedals needs to do into all three of them and the stereo outputs mixing with a passive mixer perhaps (just three stereo pots, about 10K log or just some resistors, 1k say and adjust output volumes with the pedal controls)

Alternative would be to combine the stereo outs of two of them back to mono (via 1k resistors) and feed them in a line to the end.
Last edited by PSimonR at Feb 22, 2017,
Prime2515102 Sorry, I probably should have named the pedals.
No, I have mono inputs on the Boss CH-1 Chorus and a Red Witch -Moon Witch that both have only 1 input. Only the T-Rex Replay has stereo inputs.

I use to use pedals way back, then went to rack mounted processors and controllers, but they are a real PITA and dont sound all that good any more.

It would be my preference to have these all work independently so that IF I wanted, all three could be running in stereo at the same time, but again, I don't think a phaser and a chorus would sound all that good together.. As long as I can run the delay and the chorus or the delay and the phaser at the same time and NOT have to re-plug stuff back in to switch between the two configurations...

Are there any kind of switch boxes out there I could use?
Well... that's a tough one, but I bet they have something here: http://www.loop-master.com

They have stereo switchers and pedal "patch bays" but they don't seem to put the specs on them so I can't quite gauge the fuctionality. I bet if you gave them a call they could point you to the right product.

I'm not familiar with that company so I can't vouch for quality or customer service but it's all I could find.
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Feb 22, 2017,
Quote by PSimonR
First of all, you are not getting real stereo - it is only fake.

If you wire them in sequence then only the last one's stereo will be what you get.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Once, for example, it gets turned to stereo by the chorus and you run that into the stereo phaser, each channel of the chorus is going to get phased differently (as it is in stereo and the signals aren't the same on both sides anymore to begin with) and the resulting output will be different than if you ran the chorus in mono.
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Feb 22, 2017,
Quote by Prime2515102
I'm going to have to disagree with this. Once, for example, it gets turned to stereo by the chorus and you run that into the stereo phaser, each channel of the chorus is going to get phased differently (as it is in stereo and the signals aren't the same on both sides anymore to begin with) and the resulting output will be different than if you ran the chorus in mono.

nope this is only the case provided A that the fx are all stereo with stereo in/out and B the fx are actually stereo. many fx that are labeled stereo really aren't in a true sense. most have a dry side and an affected side so that is what is going to the speakers. in a case like this you wouldn't get separate phasing for instance or even phasing in a stereo field.
You can run the stereo outputs of each of these into a small mixer, and run the stereo output of the mixer into the power amp.

The issue is that if you have any pedals in FRONT of these stereo pedals, you'll have to work out how to send the (mono) signal from the rest of your pedalboard into each of the stereo pedals individually. This is doable (especially if you're not going to be ganging the stereo pedals), but just a bit of a PIA.
dspellman Yes, I think your right. A small 6 channel mixer set up just for those effects so they are in their own chain. Now to find one that has line level out.. maybe....

I did look around all day yesterday at different effects loops and switches but really the majority of what I found were AB switches that would only accommodate 1 effect at a time. I also looked into patch bays and then a Dumblator effect loop circuit. (haven't figured out why it has to be tube driven but..)

It occurred to me that with my stereo amp amp, I could have two of these built and inserted between the preamp and power amp sections and that would accommodate the stereo effects, and give me a richer cleaner sound than when the overdrive is connected and turned on.

Hmm.. mod the amplifier or look for a crappy little 6 channel mixer....man, getting that mod would be expensive, but it would be sweet!
I'll keep searching though. Thanks for all of your input!
A mixer will work BUT will provide completely different set a sounds than that provided by a string of effects.

e.g. (if all set at the same volume) if one of the fxs is a wah-wah only a 6th of the signall will have the effect and you will hardy hear the wah-wah effect.

To work properly the fx's need sequencing i.e. connecting in series. What order they should in is always (and always has been) debatable; but I would try the mono's ones first then the stereos, just by making up some leads to do my original suggestion - some leads with some resistors in to stop the stereo outputs limiting each other.

Yes you also put the stereo fx between the pre and power amps (or in the fx loop of you have one on your amp) but do they have stereo inputs? probably not so you need to resistors to mix back to mono at each input and only get stereo out of the last one in the series.
Quote by Prime2515102

By fake I meant it is a simulation - i.e. the fx does some tricks to turn a mono signal into a stereo one - not like mic'ing up an acoustic with two mics.