I recently changed my 9s to 11s and went from e standard to e flat. I noticed a massive improvement in tone, the bass is finally here. With lighter strings, the guitar sounded thin, sharp, and lacked punch. Now with 11s it's pure power, madness and destruction.

Is it because emg has weaker magnets and they don't pick up the lighter strings as good?

Has anyone else noticed this?
If you had the pickups too far from the strings before, the bigger strings might have corrected the problem. EMGs are supposed to be as close to the strings as you can get them without interfering with your playing, so thin strings shouldn't usually cause issues. I haven't heard any complaints about thin strings sounding a lot worse with EMGs. Crank the pickups up closer to the strings and see if the sound improves.

Tuning down half a step shouldn't be overlooked, either. That'll make a difference.
I always had the pickups as close as possible, so the pickups were almost touching the strings when playing higher up. About the tuning difference... I don't know if it's such a huge difference. I can play the same riff in G and in F# and I think it just sounds fatter with fatter strings
To me a guitar tuned to E flat sounds different than in standard tuning, it's not the same as just playing in a different key.
If you had the pickups at the proper height before though, there's not a lot of other things it could be. Interesting that it made such a difference.
I think 11's in E flat would have more tension than 9's in E so that could be a reason for more punch in your sound.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
I think 11's in E flat would have more tension than 9's in E so that could be a reason for more punch in your sound.

Yes, by quite a bit. About 50% more tension in the 11s. I haven't ever thought of tension as being a factor in how the strings sound (since other changes tend to come with it) but it's entirely possible.
9-42 in standard

11-49 in e flat edit: actually 11-49 in E standard
Roc8995

Wow, never thought it would be THAT much difference in tension.
Also when you actually look at the numbers that is a lot more poundage than you would think acting on a guitar neck, wood is strong.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Oops, the 11 set is incorrect. I goofed on the calculator so that's the tension of the 11-49 set at standard tuning.

Here are the right tensions for that 11-49 set in E flat:

Still significantly higher than the 9s in standard.
I wanted to stop being a pussy and get thicker strings. Weird they sound so much better, maybe 9s couldn't force the wood to resonate so much?

Tony Done I think string to string balance is very good on those. You can adjust their height and they respond well to it
Some full hollow guitars need larger strings to get the top resonating but on a solid guitar you're not getting much in the way of resonance from the body. I doubt that's causing what you're hearing.

Anyway, the effect of the body resonance on the strings is small compared to the fact that you're simply moving a fair bit more metal in front of the pickups. Perhaps you're even picking harder to compensate for the heavier, tighter strings. Harder picking plus greater mass will impart a lot more energy to the pickups.
Quote by Roc8995
To me a guitar tuned to E flat sounds different than in standard tuning, it's not the same as just playing in a different key.

funny, I always felt similar about that. I guess that I am not the only one. and I am not nuts.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
funny, I always felt similar about that. I guess that I am not the only one. and I am not nuts.

you're only nuts if you think the wood matters in an electric guitar.
Quote by ArturPr
I wanted to stop being a pussy and get thicker strings.
Plenty of absolute dons use super light strings for what it's worth, but do what you must. There's no reason to use heavy strings for manliness when Billy Gibbons uses 7s, though Play what feels good to play.

Quote by ArturPr
Weird they sound so much better, maybe 9s couldn't force the wood to resonate so much?
I agree with Roc on that one - there's not really anything on a solidbody - besides the strings themselves - that resonates.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
I agree with that, at least when playing it seems like a very different response indeed.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
IDK I never had any problem with thin tone from EMG's using .009s

I agree that E flat sounds different than just playing in another key. I'm sure the tension has something to do with it.

I typically play with .010s unless I am tuning lower than D standard, I don't like my strings to be too stiff.

Also OP if you haven't done the 18V mod to your EMGs do yourself a favor and do it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by gregs1020

I lol'd
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gregs1020

Ayyyy
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't think I have place for another 9v battery. Is it really that much better anyways? It doesn't peak, so scientifically it should make no big difference
Quote by ArturPr
I don't think I have place for another 9v battery. Is it really that much better anyways? It doesn't peak, so scientifically it should make no big difference

They make a big difference and the mod is totally worth doing.

They give you more headroom, which is something standard EMG's sorely need. It makes a difference in tone, but more than that, it makes a big difference in feel.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If it's just a space issue holding you back you can also get a 24v harness that uses two 12v batteries, which together take up less space than the 9 volt.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I use a 24v mod for the 57/66 combo and it's the bee's knees
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate