NASA has discovered 7 Earth-like planets orbiting a star 40 light years away

Page 1 of 2
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-telescope-reveals-largest-batch-of-earth-size-habitable-zone-planets-around/

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has revealed the first known system of seven Earth-size planets around a single star. Three of these planets are firmly located in the habitable zone, the area around the parent star where a rocky planet is most likely to have liquid water.

The discovery sets a new record for greatest number of habitable-zone planets found around a single star outside our solar system. All of these seven planets could have liquid water – key to life as we know it – under the right atmospheric conditions, but the chances are highest with the three in the habitable zone.

“This discovery could be a significant piece in the puzzle of finding habitable environments, places that are conducive to life,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of the agency’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. “Answering the question ‘are we alone’ is a top science priority and finding so many planets like these for the first time in the habitable zone is a remarkable step forward toward that goal.”

I'm geeking out so much right now. I want to go live there already
Last edited by gonzaw at Feb 22, 2017,
Too bad none of us will live to see the outcome of this discovery.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
meh

no aliens, no care
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by JustRooster
Too bad none of us will live to see the outcome of this discovery.

Between 3 and 10 years from now NASA can safely say if any of these planets harbors life or not. Seriously, discovering alien life is enough for me, I can die happy after that
Quote by gonzaw
Between 3 and 10 years from now NASA can safely say if any of these planets harbors life or not. Seriously, discovering alien life is enough for me, I can die happy after that

That'd be amazing, but I'm unsure as to how they could do that.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Several of them, if not all of them, are also tidally locked to their star. Meaning that the same side is always facing the star. I read somewhere a few years back that the search for life on other planets would really start with tidally locked stars due to it being easier to identify planets that are closer in orbit than the earth is to the sun.

Unfortunately, tidal locking really does a number on the available locations for a good vacation spot.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
Several of them, if not all of them, are also tidally locked to their star. Meaning that the same side is always facing the star. I read somewhere a few years back that the search for life on other planets would really start with tidally locked stars due to it being easier to identify planets that are closer in orbit than the earth is to the sun.

Unfortunately, tidal locking really does a number on the available locations for a good vacation spot.
Could life as we know it form on tidally-locked planetoids though?
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

#wolfie2017 #freegyros #gifsftw G7#9
Quote by Wolfinator-x

Probably, if there's water and a moon. The moon just helps with tides, stagnant water is less hospitable. Day and night shouldn't matter that much, it would just mean the life produced would evolve a different body clock.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Last edited by 剣 斧 血 at Feb 22, 2017,
Quote by gonzaw
I'm geeking out so much right now. I want to go live there already

Have fun on your 350 trillion km flight I wonder if they have wi-fi on board
Quote by Wolfinator-x

That's a really interesting question. I'm interested in knowing if life could form on the dark side of the planet. And, on the off-chance that life can and has propagated on one of these planets, if that life is capable of surviving on the dark side of the planet.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
That's a really interesting question. I'm interested in knowing if life could form on the dark side of the planet. And, on the off-chance that life can and has propagated on one of these planets, if that life is capable of surviving on the dark side of the planet.
On the star-facing side of the planet, the atmosphere would likely be too hot for non-extremophile life and the dark side would likely be very cold. If I'm not mistaken, one big issue with living on the moon is that the only place where temperatures are human-friendly are along the terminator line.

Quote by sam b
Have fun on your 350 trillion km flight I wonder if they have wi-fi on board
If we manage to discover a way to use wormholes/an Alcubierre drive, that might not be a problem. I don't think we're going to see an Alcubierre drive before a long time though.

Quote by 剣 斧 血
Probably, if there's water and a moon. The moon just helps with tides, stagnant water is less hospitable. Day and night shouldn't matter that much, it would just mean the life produced would evolve a different body clock.
That's a possibility I'm thinking, not to mention that we have no idea how life 'could' develop outside of our known realm. They could be silicone-based for all we know.

Quote by TROUnation
Is that like, really far away?

Pretty close actually, at least relative to all the other "Earth-like" plants NASA has found and the vast distances in the universe. In a couple of hundred/thousand years we could develop the technology to go there in like 200-300 years. If people are able to live that long then, or are able to be cryogenically frozen, or are just transported as fronzen embryos, then it's possible to go and live there
TROUnation

It's 40 light years away.

Compared to like, nearly everything else in the universe, it's really close.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by gonzaw
Seriously, discovering alien life is enough for me, I can die happy after that

I'm sure psychrotropic, thermophilic, or barophilic bacteria exist on non green zone planets

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
nice.

getting ahead of myself of course but that's part of the fun - imagine if there is intelligent life on one or more of the planets. Imagine if one species has inhabited all of the planets, or if different intelligent species have been able to develop independently on each planet and they've since communicated with each other. Imagine if we get close enough to see the planets and find evidence of destroyed civilisations.

its like a million different sci-fi possibilities suddenly feel more plausible. Pretty cool
I don't give a shit about intelligent life.

I'd be fine with a planet covered in stupid little shit worms.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
I don't give a shit about intelligent life.

I'd be fine with a planet covered in stupid little shit worms.

Yeah, even if it's a stupid little worm or bacteria it will have an enormous impact on everything back here on Earth. First of all, every religion will face an existencial crisis they'll have to deal somehow. Then many people's mind will be blown. It might make the majority of people increase their interest. support and funding of space exploration. Whatever happens, it'll be cool as shit
Quote by gonzaw
Yeah, even if it's a stupid little worm or bacteria it will have an enormous impact on everything back here on Earth. First of all, every religion will face an existencial crisis they'll have to deal somehow.
You'd be surprised. The whole 'what if aliens' debate in a way dates back to the middle ages when people literally thought you couldn't get to the other side of the Earth. They thought 'if there are places on the Earth missionaries are unable to reach, will their inhabitants be saved?' to which there are varying answers.
Quote by gonzaw
Then many people's mind will be blown. It might make the majority of people increase their interest. support and funding of space exploration. Whatever happens, it'll be cool as shit
This I could get behind.

I thought life couldn't form on tidally locked planets. Though I guess it would just be less likely

Quote by gonzaw
Yeah, even if it's a stupid little worm or bacteria it will have an enormous impact on everything back here on Earth. First of all, every religion will face an existencial crisis they'll have to deal somehow.
doubtful
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
It's going to be the Borg guys, I'm calling it now. Prepare to be assimilated.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I don't know how to feel about aliens. They could be really cool like much cooler than humans with some neat secret peace technology but they could also be dicks like really bad war aliens
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Cool news, too bad we're busy with transgender rights to explore them more closely.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
It's going to be the Borg guys, I'm calling it now. Prepare to be assimilated.

It would be fantastic if intelligent life that's really similar to some depicted in our sci-fi tv/films encounter us and they think we're just taking the piss out of them or sending out propaganda.

Queue first contact war.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Last edited by 剣 斧 血 at Feb 23, 2017,
I mean, it's definitely cool, and maybe I'm just naive on the subject, but I don't feel it's anything we didn't know deep down already?

The fact that out there, somewhere exists another solar system (hundreds of them in fact probably) within which one or two of the planets could breed life. Thinking logically it'd be close-minded to think such systems don't exist.

Finding one for definite is cool yeah, but until we find actual proof of specific alien life I'm not massively excited.
Cool. Let's invade and colonize their planet before they invade and colonize ours.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Ozzy87_2
Cool news, too bad we're busy with transgender rights to explore them more closely.

"Too bad we're busy with figuring out our own society and social equality and also hundreds of years behind the necessary technology to even consider exploratory flights to this system."

You idiot
My God, it's full of stars!
What if there is very simple life and we get to watch it evolve

and then all the world stops fighting to take bets on which early form will prevail

and then we all pick sides when they finally form nation states and stuff

like a big reality show that causes world peace

#HemisphericQuadrant4ForLife
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at Feb 23, 2017,
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
What if there is very simple life and we get to watch it evolve

and then all the world stops fighting to take bets on which early form will prevail

and then we all pick sides when they finally form nation states and stuff

like a big reality show that causes world peace

#HemisphericQuadrant4ForLife

Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Quote by Rossenrot
This is a very far IMO.

U been drankin?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
U been drankin?

Have you ever seen how big 40 light years is compared to Texas?
Do you think aliens also like to do stuff with their butts
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Cool. Let's invade and colonize their planet before they invade and colonize ours.

I'm down, been working down at Anaheim Electronics preparing these babies:

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
We should bring them a copy of everything on the internet, so while we're busy exploring their world they can explore our dank memes.
Quote by Banjocal
Do you think aliens also like to do stuff with their butts

If they don't we nuke them

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Page 1 of 2