I purchased a guitar kit from Amazon that is a cheap strat copy, the frets are unleveled, rusting, the guitar shocks my forearm, wiring issues producing noise with high quality cable into pedal/amp, E string cannot intonate without changing action, the action as a whole is very high.

I mainly listen to Evanescence, KoRn, Flyleaf and a lot of goth metal. Getting a 7 string(KoRn) is an option but I just feel like the 7th string is going to be accidentally hit way too often.

The best thing I can find around $500 is Ibanez S520. I'm looking for something all black though but red is my favorite color and this has active pick ups included and a floyd trem. And its an Ibanez
S520 is fine...not crazy about Ibanez pickups but otherwise good guitar.
In that price range - I'd say hunt down used LTD, something from their high end series, M-1000.
You could also look at Epiphone Gothic Les Paul, I had a friend with one of these, off black with active pickups and he got it for about $500 used, great guitar, played better than what I tried by Gibson at the store at the time.
ballajoe010 Firstly, wiring and setup on the guitar kit sounds like your issue - but it could be manner things.

Secondly, I have an S520 - I'm certainly a fan - not sure about active pick ups though.....perhaps your terminology has been crossed somewhere down the line.
guitar center online has a ltd ex 400 graphic used for $350, has the emgs you need. very nice guitar the price.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'd check out a website called rondomusic.com they have very well made off-brand guitars for the perfect price. I have an AL-3000 LP from them that I play more than my actual LP.
A lot of people buy guitars based on brand alone- but it's important to know that the guitar market is overvalued to a certain extent.

Another thing, it might be the amp. From personal experience, I had a cheapo starter electric stratocaster but it was actually my 10W amp that sounded shitty.
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
The S520 is a great guitar but you might want to consider splitting your budget so you can get a better amp too. Obviously the guitar affects playability, but I guarantee that starter guitar of yours would sound 10 times better through even a half-decent practice amp. Conversely a $500 guitar is still going to sound kind of shitty through that starter amp of yours - it'll sound different of course, but it probably won't actually sound any better to you.

Also make sure you fully read up on floyd roses before you buy one as you could come to regret it. They are a LOT more work when it comes to changing strings, if you're not great at tuning by ear it's gonna take you half an hour at least - and that's assuming you don't make a mistake. If you do make a mistake whilst restringing or lose track of your tuning you'll be there for ages getting it right. A floyd also means saying goodbye to alternate tunings and I know you're enjoying experimenting with those - you can't change tunings easily on a floyd. It works because there's a balance between spring tension and string tension, so as soon as you change the tuning of one string all the others go out of whack too.

They're also a lot harder to play on and I don't think you're far along enough to deal with one yet. I remember when I'd been playing a while and had a go of my friend's guitar, which had a floyd. It was the first time I'd played on one and I seemed like I couldn't even look at the bridge without causing it to move - palm muting was just impossible. It was really frustrating and you might want to hold off on a floyd until you've developed a lighter touch. Don't get me wrong, I really like floyds and do own a floyd-equipped guitar - but if I only had one guitar I wouldn't have a floyd.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Floyds especially on beginner budget are a mess...one more reason why you'd want to buy a $1000 used for about $500 if in good condition, all the hardware is better as well. I have love/hate relationship with FR trems (and all trems), honestly, it'd be one of the first things that will force me to get a guitar tech as I hate dealing with them. There are too many variables and you really have to spend time learning how to do a proper setup on it.

It takes me 15 minutes to do a full setup on any normal guitar, on FR it takes me about 45 minutes up to 2 hrs.

In my current band I have to use trem equipped guitar and it is getting on my nerves all the time. Forget about it if something goes out of whack during a gig. On normal guitar you change a string on this thing you have to unclamp, change string, clamp, fine tune...maybe due to tension going out of whack during the string break you need to unclamp again, tune again and clamp, then fine tune.
Quote by steven seagull

They're also a lot harder to play on and I don't think you're far along enough to deal with one yet. I remember when I'd been playing a while and had a go of my friend's guitar, which had a floyd. It was the first time I'd played on one and I seemed like I couldn't even look at the bridge without causing it to move - palm muting was just impossible. It was really frustrating and you might want to hold off on a floyd until you've developed a lighter touch. Don't get me wrong, I really like floyds and do own a floyd-equipped guitar - but if I only had one guitar I wouldn't have a floyd.

Dang, I did not know this. Yea, I really like alternate tunings, Drop D the most so far. A lot of folkes recommending used guitar but because I live overseas, returning an item is a complete waste of money.

Definitely don't want the floyd tream after hearing that though, so I guess any guitar will do, really really prefer new/black. The amp is going to be used because its not something that I think will be that beat up from use of another person
Used guitars are great but it does depend on your local market - the US is really oversaturated when it comes to guitars so the market is really competitive, but it's not always the case for the rest of the world.

As far as amps ideally you want to be looking at a 30 watt digital modelling amp - that'll give you the best bang for your buck with loads of amp models to play with and some effects to experiment with - something like a Roland Cube, Vox Valvetronix or Peavey Vypyr would be ideal. Also, dare I say it, a Line 6 Spider - I'm not a big fan of them personally but they tend to be pretty commonplace and whilst I wouldn't pick one over the other three it'll still be a significant improvement over your current amp and that's the most important thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Try to find a used Jackson DKMGT they run between $300-$350 maybe $400 if it is near mint with case, they are great guitars made in Japan at the Chushin Gakki factory.

I have a DKMGT and a DKMG with the Floyd I highly recommend for bang for your buck I paid $300 for ech of them.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 23, 2017,
Quote by steven seagull
It was the first time I'd played on one and I seemed like I couldn't even look at the bridge without causing it to move - palm muting was just impossible. It was really frustrating and you might want to hold off on a floyd until you've developed a lighter touch. Don't get me wrong, I really like floyds and do own a floyd-equipped guitar - but if I only had one guitar I wouldn't have a floyd.

What on earth were you doing that prevented you from palm muting on a Floyd? Or maybe your friend's guitar had a crap Floyd copy or a bad set up.

A properly set up Floyd style trem of good quality is not harder to play than a hard tail unless you are jacking around with the whammy bar, but not for palm muting unless maybe you are The Incredible Hulk.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 23, 2017,
Why not look at some schecters? I've played a few I like in that price range. Other than that Ibanez and LTD are strong choices. $500 can get you a lot of geetar
Seriously, just buy used and get something considerably better. Also as was said before, any guitar you buy is still going to sound shit so long as you have the amp you have. Sure a guitar looks nice, but no matter how good it looks it still isn't going to sound nice.
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 23, 2017,
Quote by Evilnine
What on earth were you doing that prevented you from palm muting on a Floyd? Or maybe your friend's guitar had a crap Floyd copy or a bad set up.

A properly set up Floyd style trem of good quality is not harder to play than a hard tail unless you are jacking around with the whammy bar, but not for palm muting unless maybe you are The Incredible Hulk.

I was 15 and couldn't play for shit
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I was 15 and couldn't play for shit

Gotcha!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge