I'm thinking of putting up mics to our 2 rigs, I play 2x12, the other guitarist 4x12.

Audix CABGRAB1 is just too much at $50 each, which will be $100 expense right there and we already have mic stands. I have drum clamps that are by Audix incidentally (DVICE) and am wondering if anyone has DYI for this purpose?
I use the AmpClamp. It's the faster set and take down amp mic holder. They cost $25-30.

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 23, 2017,
Quote by Will Lane
diabolical You... put the mic close to the amp?

I know...weird...innit?

I know you're supposed to use a $1000 gizmo that makes it seem exactly like if your amp speaker is miked up, and it could incidentally increase the chances of amp fireworks...but you could load different cabinet IRs over USB, which is very cool and share it via iPhone using the factory patch app...but what can I say...I'm old school

Rickholly74 was looking at this one as it is a little cheaper but the rigid arm which locks your mic away from cab kinda puts me off on that one. Maybe I should just get a e609 and let it hang by its cable. That's cool old school look

I am about to start touring so I want to provide the soundmen two signals - one will be my Redbox speaker emulation which sounds great btw, tested it at rehearsal thru the board and a 2nd miked one to blend in a bit of live signal as the Redbox might be just too clean sounding. Maybe I won't need it...but want to play with both until one wins. If the Redbox wins that'll streamline it even more.

The other guitarist will get one clamp too and that'll go onstage for his amp in optimal mic position.
Hang the mic from the cabinet. Cost = zero Off axis = good

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
A lot of modern sound techs don't understand the benefits of off axis but Les Paul sure did. He used off center- off axis both live and in the studio for most of his life. I can hang the mic or put it on a stand at a 45 degree and get what I am looking for most of the time.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
if i am fucking around bored recording, or at a small bar, i will usually just drape over a sm57. it does the job well enough. But not for regular gigging i just use a little mic stand thingy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/