I decide to build my own cab in 2x12 [Not 4x12 caz it too large for room]
After read many tread about speaker pairing in 2x12 cab.

I have concluded that
1.Vertical cab give more low-end.
2.Horizontal give more 3D sound or width sound.

I think I want low-end more than width sound so I'll build Vertical cab and slanted.

Many tread suggest to pair V30 with G12H30/CL80 for more versatile. I agree that.
But all of matching speaker tread are only talk in 2x12 Horizontal cab or 4x12 cab.
No one ever talk about matching speaker in 2x12 Vertical cab.

That make me concern about mixing speaker in 2x12 Vertical cab will not work like Horizontal cab?

-If it still works great like Horizontal cab ,I should put V30 on top right?

-If it not good,I'll load 2 V30 in .

Any advice pls tell me.
Last edited by xsefiroth at Feb 23, 2017,
do you know to the extent of what you are making? I generally use void free 3/4"ish birch. are you front loading or rear? sealed?

I would go for vertical 2x12 myself, but that is up to you.

also you need to figure out the impedance that you want out of it.

will you use tolex? do you have all of the tools?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdupI know cool carpenter near my house,He made a lot of cab and PA.Can made for custom order. And price is quite cheap.
You can see them in photo album
https://www.facebook.com/ZweckInstrument

I think I'll go vertical too.
In Horizontal mixing speaker is nice. But I also suspect that mixing speakers in vertical is should do or not.?
becaz shape of both cab are different and it will make different sound direction.
This reason make me concern about mixing speaker in vertical.
Last edited by xsefiroth at Feb 23, 2017,
Vertical or horizontal, mixing speakers will work out just fine. I have 2 horizontal 212 cabs within my collection at the moment. The lost of bass isn't as bad as some would make it out to be, especially with the right speakers.

Out of a current half-dozen or so cabs I have, my favorite is a single front port 212 with a V30 and a G12H-75 in it. They just work so well together, a perfect blend. My 212 V30 cab however, I have to turn the bass up a bit on my amps to get a sound I like, especially at lower volumes. But then again, V30s on their own are known more for their high-mids rather than their lows.
I'm not sure about how being vertical affects it (I've only tried side-by-side 2x12s), but I'm not sure I'd mix a G12H30 with a V30 in a 2x12 these days, since the creamback version of the G12H30 now exists (though I haven't tried it, I should add). That gives you a lot better wattage handling overall (120W versus 60 watts).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love v30's with k100's. deeper maybe a little more chunky.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm not sure about how being vertical affects it (I've only tried side-by-side 2x12s), but I'm not sure I'd mix a G12H30 with a V30 in a 2x12 these days, since the creamback version of the G12H30 now exists (though I haven't tried it, I should add). That gives you a lot better wattage handling overall (120W versus 60 watts).

The G12H-30 is a Creamback (Besides the Heritage Edition which is a Greenback). The G12M is the standard Greenback, and the G12H-75 (like I stated above I enjoy mixed with a V30), has a bit more lows, highs, and headroom than the "-30".
Quote by xsefiroth

I have concluded that
1.Vertical cab give more low-end.
2.Horizontal give more 3D sound or width sound.

Neither of the above is true. Where do you come up with this stuff?
Quote by dspellman
Neither of the above is true. Where do you come up with this stuff?

I saw from many treadhttps://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GIGM_enTH728TH728&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=vertical+vs+horizontal+2x12+cab+sound I read about 10-15 treads many ppl told that. Someone say opposite but I should listen to from most ppl say right?

So some reason make I'll go vert shape is
-It's have small footprint than hori.
-If slanted can put on floor and sound will punch my face.While hori need to put on some chair or stand and may not study.
-Some Vert cons is It can't handle fullsize stack on top.
Quote by xsefiroth

It CAN, it just looks awkward, and is a but unstable due too the feet of a full sized amp usually hang off the sides.
Quote by xsefiroth
I saw from many treadhttps://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GIGM_enTH728TH728&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=vertical+vs+horizontal+2x12+cab+sound I read about 10-15 treads many ppl told that. Someone say opposite but I should listen to from most ppl say right?

I don't. A whole lot of people who don't know what they're talking about can say the same thing but be wrong. In the most recent election in the US, for example, some folks praised their health care (Medicaid) but voted against "Obamacare" not realizing that the improvements in Medicaid were part of Obamacare. Most didn't know that the Affordable Care Act was the same thing as Obamacare. On the internet, you'll find a lot of people quoting old threads in new threads, even though those old threads have been demonstrated to be wrong long ago. Some things never die. There's no basis for vertical cabinets giving you more bottom end, nor any of the 3D business for horizontal cabinets.

Quote by xsefiroth
So some reason make I'll go vert shape is
-It's have small footprint than hori.
-If slanted can put on floor and sound will punch my face.While hori need to put on some chair or stand and may not study.

Now these are good reasons to go vertical.
It's worth noting that some amp chassis (internals) are much smaller than the cabinets that contain them -- the cabinets are simply larger because they look more impressive. It's never been *required* that you put your amp on top of your cabinet, you know. This is just how manufacturers show them in ads. In fact, most of the bigger arena acts have their heads in rack cases backstage.

You may find that the slanted cabinet really doesn't do all that much to help you hear things; a 12" speaker isn't all that directional until you get above 1300Hz. FWIW, the A-440 that most folks use as a basis for tuning doesn't occur on a guitar until you hit the A on the high E string.

I've put a 2x12 horizontally on an amp stand (an OnStage RS7500) for years, and it's been very stable.

Regarding "more bottom end" from various cabinets -- most of that "impression" comes from acoustic and mechanical coupling. A hollow stage, in particular, that resonates with a cabinet is demonstrating mechanical coupling. It can really give you unpredictable combinations of boominess. Acoustic coupling usually happens when a speaker is near a wall, back wall or corner (and will sometimes happen with the floor as well) and you'll find some reinforcement happening in specific tones defined by the half-wavelength of that tone. You can actually *raise* the cabinet slightly off the floor and get better reinforcement of some lower tones, but that gets pretty complicated. Most bedrooms won't allow full wavelengths of some bass tones to establish themselves and/or will exhibit phase interference with some other tones, so if you're talking to someone about that stuff, find out what the environment in which they're playing might be. Nothing like having your sound soaked up by a bedspread.
^This is some really good, and correct (IMHO) information. I too use an amp stand for my horizontal 212 cabs with the amp on top.
dspellman thx u very much for useful info u told me.
I'm not good in english so I can't understand all word but I see main sentence what u explain with kindly for me.

-Vert&Hori doesn't different sound. Especially about bottom end or 3D sound it just feeling when ppl met cab at 1st time.
-more bass or other sound come from where cab place and differ environment make differ sound.

Your info inspire me and make me decided to use Vert.
[After cut off false fact,Just only 1 reason I like this shape more Hori ]

-----------------------------------------------------

so back little to my old question point.

Mixing speaker in Vert will make sound same mixing speaker in Hori right?
I decide to pair up V30 with G12H30 [It standard mixing I heard from many ppl recommend]
Last edited by xsefiroth at Feb 24, 2017,
Quote by xsefiroth

so back little to my old question point.

Mixing speaker in Vert will make sound same mixing speaker in Hori right?
I decide to pair up V30 with G12H30 [It standard mixing I heard from many ppl recommend]

It might not be EXACTLY the same, but it will be VERY similar. You may not even notice the difference. I would go with the G12H-75 over G12H-30. Not because I personally like it better, but because your cabs wattage is only as high as it's lowest wattage speaker times the number of speakers.

So if you have a 60 watt V30 and match it with a 30 watt Creamback, you've got yourself a 60 watt cab. If you go with the 75 watt Creamback, you'll be at a solid 120 watt and can then use most any amp with that.
Quote by Xander_X
The G12H-30 is a Creamback (Besides the Heritage Edition which is a Greenback). The G12M is the standard Greenback, and the G12H-75 (like I stated above I enjoy mixed with a V30), has a bit more lows, highs, and headroom than the "-30".

yeah. when i said creamback i was just referring to the style of the speaker (i.e. higher wattage).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Xander_Xthx for clearly answer.

My 2*12 cab only use with Laney Irt-studio 15w, Cab 60w will be ample now.

But in the future if I want upgrade to 4x12 for full size stack It may have problem.
becaz cab just have 120w not enough to use high watt amp in full power.

Maybe I'll reconsider again this speaker pairing.
Last edited by xsefiroth at Feb 24, 2017,
120W with conservatively-rated speakers would probably be ok with just about anything. whether you want to take the risk or not, though...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?