Anyone read it? (http://www.curvebender.com/rtb.html)

Anything you'd share with the public for academic purposes?

I don't think it's something I'll ever get my hands on and I think it's a shame that a potentially useful reference is not more widely available.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
I personally don't care anything about George Martin's techniques. To me the Beatles' production is an awful piece of garbage until you get to the white album.
You'd ask why? What can you really hear on those records? The drum sounds are beyound awful...granted Ringo was pretty bad, but so is Lars and you can hear kick, snare, toms. On ringo you hear a little fart whisper of a snare, almost no kick and pretty much cymbals and the occasional tom.
The guitar sounds are also for the most part pretty lame.

For production at the time of Beatles, I'd look up to the Doors' producer Paul Rothschild. The guy managed to capture some of the best sounds of the era and his production doesn't sound dated even today. Most of this stuff was done on 3 and 4 track at the beginning, 8 track towards the end.

Talking about amazing production - Queen stands up the test of time and so does Pink Floyd's famous albums. Incidentally they were done by the same production team.
If you are interested in the Beatles recording on an in-depth level get the book " The Beatles Recording Sessions" by Mark Lewishon. It takes each day they were in the studio and using the original master tapes, the track notes on the tape boxes and studio notes in the EMI tape vaults he breaks down every session. He details each take, what tracks were used for which instruments, what equipment was used and explains some of the tech info as it was being developed by EMI studio techs specifically for the Beatles. I think you can only judge the Beatles recordings on a technical level against recordings done by contemporaries because much of the technology was vastly different. The care and studio time given the Beatles was far greater than other artists and that made a huge difference. Most bands came in and were expected to crank out three masters on a four hour session. The Beatles because of their huge popularity could take as long as they wanted. That allowed them to experiment greatly. They still did incredible recordings on 4 track recorders through 1967.

Artists like Queen and Pink Floyd did their classic work on 16 tracks and even Pink Floyd got a little help from the Beatles in a odd ways. The earliest Pink Floyd albums were engineered and produced by long time Beatles engineer Norman Smith and later Alan Parson (one of my all time favorite artists) engineered "Dark Side" just a few years after being an assistant engineer on the last two Beatles albums. I agree both Floyd and Queen really pushed things in the 70's. Their albums are still some of the technically best recordings ever.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 26, 2017,
Say what you will about some of the early beatles stuff production; but abbey road is a fantastic sounding album.
RIP Gooze

cats
It was 16 tracks. Here's part of an interview with engineer Alan Parsons.

You created some pretty cool sounds with very little studio gear on Dark Side— basically, an EMI console, a 16-track tape machine, Fairchild limiters, and an EMT plate reverb.

Parsons: Every sort of time-based process was done with tape—there were no digital boxes then. We might have had as many as five or six tape machines doing various delays, reverb delays, and so on. I distinctly remember on the mix having to borrow tape machines from other rooms to get delays and stuff.

There were a lot of tape loops, too. Did you do a lot of actual tape editing in addition?

Parsons: Oh, plenty. The 16-track was an edited tape. You’d think that all the connecting of the songs was done at the mix stage, but it wasn’t. It was all there on the master tracks. There was a break between side one and side two, just as there was on the vinyl, but you could play the whole multitrack as a continuous piece, so everything was there.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Studio_Legends_Alan_Parsons_on_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 2, 2017,