Page 1 of 2
(talking amp features here ATM)

There are tons of amps out there with crazy features. So many that i am not going to even attempt to make a list.

but i am thinking about the Roadking II and the Roadster at the moment.

four channels is nice, different modes on both channels, plethora of different tube configuartions, and just a solid build.

do you really need four channels and four effects loops? do you need to control power tube selection at your feet? it is all fine and dandy, but does anybody need that? (well here goes the aspect of does anybody NEED anything) but yeah.

i was playing on my tremoverb, at the moment it has 6L6's, two channels that are great for either clean or dirty when dialed in. Mesa OS 4x12" and i usually hit it with a timmy if i want to goose it. great effects loop (i don't use pedals with that amp though because i need mo' cables as i am running four full rigs that have what i need in the loop). reverb. nice. tremolo. nice. but i don't use much.

now here is another example, my wonderful Fryette SIG:X. three channels, a gazillion knobs and switches etc. i haven't used it in a while TBH, but i got overwhelmed with setttings and found what i like and stayed close to that. i don't feel like tweaking knobs for a decade some times.

now back to mesa, i have a MKIV, i love the damn thing, and we get along great. but i have it dialed in, and haven't turned more than two knobs and the master volume in the last few years. love it.

on the other hand is my rockerverb. two channels, EQ, reverb and that is it. i use it probably most often of my amps. it does for me just as well as any of my other amps.

___

is there anything wrong with a million settings? not at all. but here is my question. how often do you actually turn those knobs for something different? do YOU use many of those features personally?

that is my query. just some thoughts.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I change my settings almost every time I play the guitar.

You might not find a use for them. Lots of people do though and I am one of them. When you have so many different guitars and play lots of different genres there is no '1 setting fits all' button and if you're playing in something like a cover band, having a ton of channels and options would be a benefit as well. So if all you do is play blues hack licks all day than a single channel amp might be enough but tbh I wouldn't want to be stuck unless that's the only sound I need for everything.

Also will

Most people don't need half the shit they have here. I don't need 4 LPs. I'm not a musician. You don't need 20 guitars either.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I can say this: if I had an amp with more than 2 channels, I'd REALLY like to be able to have different settings for each. Multiple effects loops on such an amp would be an even stronger selling point to me, ESPECIALLY if they were foot switchable.

Why? Well, I am already planning on making devoted pedalboards for different genres of music, each possibly with its own Octa-Switch*. So multiple foot switchable effects loops would go a long way to making an amp into My Precious.

* yes, I have a bucketload of pedals
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I ran a poll on TDPRI about how many different amp setting folks used. Only 20% used more than a few. However, having plenty of choice in a single box will appeal to a wider market as it offers a good chance of finding "the one" - But the amps you describe seem to be aiming at those who want a lot of different settings instantly at their disposal.They don't appeal to me, its just more to go wrong.
i run a fairly simple setup but do like some options. my Ultra has 3 channels (though only seperate EQs for 2 ) which is nice and eventually i want to go to a JSX for the spereate eq for each channel. that's about all i need though and event then could likely get by with less. as it is i set up each channel for rhythm and kick on an overdrive for leads. this gives me 6 options without making it to complex. as for loops and such nope don't need 4 that's for sure. very simple pedal board so no need. 

now of course some players can utilize a ton of options so amps like that are available. ovbiously there is a demand. i'm all for variety but it's not likely you'll see me with an amp that requires an inch thick guide on how to use it. 
Quote by Will Lane
Trashed, you do know you posted on UG and not your blog, right?

good point. haha. look out for it now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Tony Done
I - But the amps you describe seem to be aiming at those who want a lot of different settings instantly at their disposal.They don't appeal to me, its just more to go wrong.

That is rational.

from a repair perspective, I am usually good enough to fix some shit on an orange or whatever. Mesa on the other hand (to me) isdownright impossible and I don't think i would feel like delving in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by gregs1020
i found your LP.

woah damn. lol
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by gregs1020
i found your LP.

Somewhere, Rick Nielsen is starting to drool...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Crazy guitarists keep asking for this crazy scheit and the engineers say "sure! We can do that!". I love the tone from my Mesa, but honestly some nights just the clean channel and the OCD pedal get it done. Who knew!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
multi-effects units have gone just as far, to a degree they've always been that way i suppose.

i use about 5-10% of what my Amplifire can do, and the Amplifire itself is essentially a dumbed down kemper of sorts.

has tweakability reached some sort of critical mass?

and when the hell are these units going to properly label tonal qualities like "chirp", "swirl", "woody" and "quack"?
that's what we all really want. not some 100 degrees of decay parameters ffs.

give us what we want!
but i digress.
Three channels. All the effects. Headphone out. Says Marshall. Must cost 350.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I have a Roadster I paid $1100 for new on closeout, I could have had a used Road King for $1400 and had the $400 but chose the Roadster because it is designed specifically to be more user friendly than the RK beause it does not have the progessive linkage power tubes like the RK and has only one effects loop.

TBH I really only switch the modes on the clean channels and my high gain channels pretty much stay dialed in, I do like the option of having 4 differnt sounds on tap and the option to swith from 100w to 50w.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 24, 2017,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I change my settings almost every time I play the guitar.

You might not find a use for them. Lots of people do though and I am one of them. When you have so many different guitars and play lots of different genres there is no '1 setting fits all' button and if you're playing in something like a cover band, having a ton of channels and options would be a benefit as well. So if all you do is play blues hack licks all day than a single channel amp might be enough but tbh I wouldn't want to be stuck unless that's the only sound I need for everything.

Most people don't need half the shit they have here. I don't need 4 LPs. I'm not a musician. You don't need 20 guitars either.

Agreed. I remember the first time my wife asked, "Why do you need another guitar? You can't play more than one." Wow, that debate hasn't been going on for over 30 years of marriage! She wasn't ready for multiple amps either. She understood bass for bass and tube for live and small solid state for practice. She even bought into the one for rehearsal, one for live, one for practice for both bass and guitar, at least for a while.

I have to say, that it really depends on the situation. Being in a cover band means covering other folks and having to dial a tone that's maybe not exact, but close enough. It's like bringing tools to a remote work site: you have to think about space and what you're doing when you get there.

If I'm playing a country gig, do I even bother with a Les Paul or should I only bring a Strat? PRS or Gibson for humbuckers? Depends on the songs we're covering. What's the venue? All wood with no carpeting? Dancing or are we background music? Formal or casual? Do I need a tube amp or can I get away with a modeler. Will I need my pedal board or will this be straight forward? Is this a large stage or small? Will I have room for more than 2 guitars? On some stages, the backup has to sit in the car or in its case behind the amp. Will I be mic'd? Do they have a sound guy? If so, will I need a DI box or can I use an amp with a line out? Should I mic the speaker? Should I bring a cabinet or is the combo OK? Is this outdoors? If so, is it a big stage? Will we be using in ear monitors or wedges? Side fills? Do I bring an acoustic or do I use a simulator? Should I bring a 12 string?

It all boils down to your goals, for me it's playing the gig so that you get asked to come back, get more gigs as a result, and get more $$ next time you play. I have to do my best to cover the songs in our list musically and tonally, but I know I'll never be perfect. If I can get close, cover the signature riffs and licks, and look like I'm having fun; it's usually a given that I've reached my goal.
I'm all for maximum features, to be honest. In regular rotation I might only be using a couple of basic settings, sure, but frequently I want to make a really specific noise and suddenly all those knobs and switches have a use. Or I might want to turn a knob to see what happens and make a note of it if it results in a good noise. Power tube switching? Well, there's a point at which I don't know what the fuck is happening but frankly I'm interested in any button or knob on an amp that doesn't have a warning label on it. Like what's-her-face from Dexter's Lab except I paid for the stuff so I don't want to blow it up.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
K33nbl4d3
Dee-dee!!!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I can say this: if I had an amp with more than 2 channels, I'd REALLY like to be able to have different settings for each. Multiple effects loops on such an amp would be an even stronger selling point to me, ESPECIALLY if they were foot switchable.

Why? Well, I am already planning on making devoted pedalboards for different genres of music, each possibly with its own Octa-Switch*. So multiple foot switchable effects loops would go a long way to making an amp into My Precious.

* yes, I have a bucketload of pedals

That's why I have modelers. I can feed an entire setlist, saved onto my computer, into the modeler I'm using. And then I can just pedal through the channels and banks pretty much in order (if it's that kind of set list). Four FX loops? I don't use pedals all that much any more, but when I do, I can have it in the FX loop and access it via the editing process for the set list.

BTW, I have a Carvin Quad-X (all tube preamp) that I used for a long time that has four channels (a different number of gain stages on each channel, up to *eleven*) and SIX FX loops. One for each channel and a serial and a parallel loop for the overall preamp. Lots more, too. I didn't use all of it, but it's a bit like having a large clip in your pistol. You may only NEED one shot, but every now and then...
dannyalcatraz
That's the one I used to watch Cartoon Network in Dutch at my oma's as a kid, and since I never learned Dutch I never really managed names
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Dexter's Laboratory was great. Watched it along with Venture Brothers, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, and Samurai Jack- which, BTW, is slated to have one more (possibly final) season.

Actualy id love an amp with 4 channels with separate gain, eq and reverb settings. One for clean, one for crunch, one for hi gain rhytm and one for lead. With a 4 button footswitch that would let me change to whatever channel with one press of a button. This is really what i want. I dont care about the other options, altough its nice to be able to shape your tone as much as you can. But as far as switching goes, this is what i want, 4 buttons for 4 channels, thats it. This is why i plan on getting a kemper. Im gonna use all that flexibility and all the millions and millions of options to have jut 4. fucking. sounds.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I like amps that give me options, so long as those options make the amp sound good.

If I didn't want options, I'd hit myself upside the head and get an amp that gives me options.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by gorkyporky
Actualy id love an amp with 4 channels with separate gain, eq and reverb settings. One for clean, one for crunch, one for hi gain rhytm and one for lead. With a 4 button footswitch that would let me change to whatever channel with one press of a button. This is really what i want. I dont care about the other options, altough its nice to be able to shape your tone as much as you can. But as far as switching goes, this is what i want, 4 buttons for 4 channels, thats it. This is why i plan on getting a kemper. Im gonna use all that flexibility and all the millions and millions of options to have jut 4. fucking. sounds.

Prs se Holcomb is the answer
gorkyporky

That's why I bought my Roadster. You're not happy with the PowerBall? The PB II has independent EQ's I believe right?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee

I have the Powerball mk.1. It has 2 eq's, the clean and crunch share one, and the 2 gain channels share one. They also dont have independant gain, but they have separate volumes. So its more like a 2 channel amp with 2 channel modes on each. And it sounds amazing, the best sounding amp i ever heard in person, but the switching still isnt exactly what i want. Also, no reverb.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
My amp is pretty basic but I have a fair amount of peddles. I have my "main" setup that use most of the time but I love messing around with peddles and amp settings to see what kinda sounds I can get. I'd like to think if I had a fancier amp with all the bells and whistles I'd get good use of out of them.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
i like having extra features- as long as they don't make it sound worse, make it more unreliable, or bump the price way up.

i generally set and forget. but having more channels actually helps with that because it means you have more settings on the fly at your feet.

that being said i probably need fewer settings than I used to.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
trashedlostfdup I see where you're coming from and your dillemma.

For the most part a lot of these things are way too much, I agree, but they're considered professional products so it is more of a stage amp than a bedroom amp. Look up Premier Guitar and run through some of their stage rig videos, most of the time you won't see something any normal pub musician would use.

I've been a road dog for quite a few years. I've played long enough and pretty much for any band that I've been the needs have been the same.

1) pristine clean channel
2) light crunch to heavy crunch channel
3) extreme crunch to heavy gain for rhythm
4) lead channel boosted about 10db higher than the rest of channels

So with that in mind and considering say I move from death metal or thrash metal gig for traditional metal all these tube voicings start to come in handy.
So basically, with one of these Mesa amps I have the whole tone gamut covered and don't really need anything else.

With a 2 channel head (clean and dirty), I'll have to do a crazy amount of tap dancing while I play live. If I want to switch from crunchy to boosted lead tone? I'll have to disable OD1 and kick in OD2 pedal, add delay, etc. The Mesa has separate fx loops for each channel too, that's the beauty of it, all foot-controlled.

They're really not too much as far as settings go.

All the amps a few years ago were so underwhelming that I went to PSA-1 preamp and a tube power amp all midi controlled and haven't looked back.

I love the Orange TH or OR or Rockerverb, all of them but live they just are not enough for me. I'll have to have bunch of pedals and have to dance on them all the time while I still try to sing either lead or backing vocals. As strange luck has it, I always have a vocal part right after a guitar lead
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Somewhere, Rick Nielsen is starting to drool...

But it's only a single neck. It needs to have at least 2 more, minimum....to be conservative.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
bjgrifter

Actually, it would look nice next to this particular- one of his several- First Act Custom Shop guitars:

That looks very 80's.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by dannyalcatraz
bjgrifter

Actually, it would look nice next to this particular- one of his several- First Act Custom Shop guitars:

No out of phase switches?

I'd imagine that this thing will be capable of some really interesting combinations, 6 on/off positions, faders and tone control for each.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
bjgrifter

Aw yes the FACS, There was some pretty wild stuff coming out of that little shop in Somerville MA. from 04 to 12, Now closed, But have talked to Kelly Butler they're former chief luthier recently and there's rumors of them starting it back up. Actually he's doing some repairs on one of mine I damaged like an idiot,
For a time FA had a page up that showed all of the custom orders and limited editions they produced, Although was taken down some time ago. However I think Rick's may have been the wildest, What was he thinking?
By the logo it was built after 06, prior years just had the Forte note without the First Act script running through it and were built by a handful of former Gibson custom shop luthiers including Kelly, After 06 they began taking on top performing luthierie school graduates and turning them loose, With some guidance of course, I'd love to know where this kid landed after they closed the custom shop though, What was he thinking? Bet its a tank, Probably has 5 pounds of pups, switches, pots and solder in it,
But to answer the OP's question? Yea I'm guilty, I have one of those amps, Gee wonder what this switch does? But it pales in comparison to the Roland GR-55 I use,
The First Act Custom Shop always drove me nuts. You have a brand name that is associated with entry level products- and not particularly good ones at that- and then you try to sell premium products with the same brand identity? Hardly ever works. They should have used a different name- FACS probably would have worke.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
bjgrifter

that looks AWESOME but I'm used to thinking that First Act produced shitty instruments that you could buy at walmart?

also can someone answer OP's question literally,"how much amp features is enough?" what are the basics that an 'all-around' good amp should have?
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
Last edited by hecks at Feb 25, 2017,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The First Act Custom Shop always drove me nuts. You have a brand name that is associated with entry level products- and not particularly good ones at that- and then you try to sell premium products with the same brand identity? Hardly ever works. They should have used a different name- FACS probably would have worke.

Yea the way Kelly explained it was FA used the custom shop to develop new designs then outsource them to Asia without making them too bad. Some of the S Korean stuff was actually quiet nice, but they took it too far when they hit the entry level of the entry level made in China Walmart stuff, But its a you get what you pay for market these days, Seen any of the Gibson Maestros? Sold those puppies at Best Buy if I remember correctly, Oh and lets not leave out the Fender products, Ever tried to play a department store Bullet? If not I wouldn't recommend you do. But because of brand recognition those turds really didn't hurt Gibson or Fender, But First Act? They never established a solid foundation or following before dumping garbage onto the market, But that's not to say there's not a huge market for department store guitars bought by parents that finally give in to the kid constantly begging for a guitar, On the other side have you seen the asking price of some of the used FACS out there? Pickings are pretty slim these days and most looks to be used up or oddball one off stuff, Basically you could have bought it brand new for what they're asking for the couple you see for sale today, Might be why FA is thinking about reviving the FACS,
I personally like things to do what they are meant to do, an amp should be just an amp, no effects/crazy lights/etc that's what appeals to me.
Some people like "too much is not enough".
Page 1 of 2