So, say you have this lick:

All are pull-offs and hammer-ons and I'm wondering with what fingers you can play stuff like this best. I see people do similar stuff with fingers 1-2-4 all the way through, but I'm also seeing people play these kind of licks with fingers 1-2-3.

Now, if this lick was to play at some lower frets, I would definitely go for a 1-2-4 approach, but for some reason the higher I go on the guitar neck, the more uncomfortable it gets. 1-2-3 feels a little better for myself, even though the shape on the 3.5th beat would generally be fretted 1-2-4.

What are your thoughts? How would you go about a lick like this?
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Obviously it feels more uncomfortable as you go higher up on the neck, because the frets are smaller so your fingers start to feel cramped. Both 1-2-4 and 1-2-3 are viable options to play that, and at that spot on the neck, just go with whatever is most comfortable.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Continuing to employ the fourth finger up high helps maintain consistent hand orientation with respect to the neck (and consistent fingering), but you really have to place the guitar further out to you left to "de-rotate" the left hand, so that the usual progressive rotation of hand angle up the neck is minimized.

I think a lot of the cramped discomfort is caused by the hand rotation up the neck - it shifts the line through the finger tips from being almost parallel to the string to becoming almost perpendicular across the strings... kind of a traffic jam with the finger bumping over each other. Pushing the neck way out to your left returns your left hand rotation to the orientation it typically has further down the neck.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
I agree with Junior#1. It would be technically better to use 1-2-4, even if it's crampy (after 25 years of playing guitar I still believe B7 is a crampy chord :-)). But if you feel to uncomfortable and if you recognize that you can reach the same result when using fingers 1-2-3, then just do it. After all, it's the result that counts, not the correct technique (I know that some guitar teachers would like to get my address now to visit me for a little conversations with physical arguments :-)).

I do not mean that technique is irrelevant. Some things just become possible with the correct technique, and man should always try to use this (the correct technique) because it might help in other situations (especially using the fourth finger). But what's the deal, if you have no fun playing the guitar and just training your technique skills?
Pretty much everything above is sound advice. Do whatever feels most comfortable to you. I personally would play 1-2-4, but hey we're all a little different.
Thanks for all the replies!!

It's actually pretty weird, considering I've been playing for over 8 years and never given this some proper attention. I usually go 1-2-3, apparently, because that's what my fingers automatically do on the higher frets. I think this has to do with the fact that my main guitar doesn't have larger cutaway, so my hand gets angled slightly, making it harder to use the pinky.

I just realised yesterday that this way of playing is actually pretty backwards, since on the lower frets I'm using 1-2-4 all the time. I started paying attention to how my hand would be positioned if I would use the pinky on the higher frets and I've found the following:
If my index finger is at the 15th fret and the pinky at the 19th (first beat of the example I gave in the OP);
- my ring-finger automatically goes to the 18th fret
- my middle-finger is literally ON the fret (the actual metal part) between the 16th and 17th.

Apparently my hand doesn't stretch enough on the higher frets for 1-2-4 to work. Time to train this!
I do not want to have a signature anymore.