I play rhythm guitar in a 5 piece rock band. Should I feel guilty because I only play power chords?
Johnny Ramone did it his whole career...
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
If the music you play only calls for powerchords then I don't see the problem. If you and your band feel restricted because of this then yes it's a problem.
Unless you are playing some sort of punk, not for very long. Honestly, if you even have to ask that question, it seems like you already know that its not enough.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Feel guilty-No, not if that is what is required of you.
Should that be all you can do- NO, be well versed. Just because you are asked to play chords doesn't mean that's the extent of your knowledge. Branch out.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
It's all about what you want to do and what you want learn as a band/individual. Art is art, don't let others define your expression.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, a few pedals.
You can add in a chord a day. Just listen to music and if you hear anything interesting. Either pick out the notes on your guitar and figure out the chord. Or grab tab and learn it. It's not a big deal. Apply it the way you heard it in the other song. Was it under a vocal...or part of a riff etc.

No problems. Just have fun with it.
This
Quote by Nadda2
You can add in a chord a day. Just listen to music and if you hear anything interesting. Either pick out the notes on your guitar and figure out the chord. Or grab tab and learn it. It's not a big deal. Apply it the way you heard it in the other song. Was it under a vocal...or part of a riff etc.

No problems. Just have fun with it.

Also, take some time to learn some basic music theory about key signatures, scales and intervals (specifically major and minor thirds, and how they fit into the scale/key your band is playing in). It's not very difficult and it'll serve you well for your entire guitar-playing career. You can then apply that to figure out which chords are major or minor in chord progressions, and use them accordingly. You already know power chords, so I'd say partial or full barre chords are a logical next step to build on the power chord foundation you already have.
Never stop striving to learn new stuff and improve on your instrument, there's always going to be something new to learn.
I'm with spacepizza125 and Nadda2. You should know how to build a chord and play it in various places. Start simple, are they major or minor? If so, then I know whether or not the 3rd is flatted (minor). I can play an E chord open or the 7th fret. Where else? Can I put those same two notes in another place? Can I play them upside down or inside out (inversions) and will it still give the same feel in the context of the other people playing? You know that an E5 power chord is E and B. Now find places to play E and B that aren't what you're used to. Start simple and work your way up.
Taking into account the way you're asking, I suppose that you already feel guilty But you can speak with your band members, and they can help you to improve your guitar skills in a way it will be helpful to your band sound.
you already know the answer lol
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
Guilty - no. But should you try to improve? Absolutely. Barre chords aren't that different from power chords, you can learn those first, and open chords don't take that long to learn. That should already be a solid base to start from. Everything else has already been said.
Great advice thanks, yes I guess I did know the answer lol.... I appreciate the feedback and ideas.  Thanks
one way to begin a chord library is learn some basic three chord blues in several keys like A D E C G and some minor blues E min A min Bmin

it will also help your ear hearing what different chords sound like and you will pick up some new rhythm patterns and possibly some blues riffs
play well

wolf