Page 1 of 2
millennials hmu

did you receive participation prizes

how often did you receive them

to what extent did they convince you that you are special and entitled to everything in life
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
you are entitled to everything in life
First of all, I don't need a participation prize to reassure me this much.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Joshua Garcia
yeah but this is for people who don't have the good fortune to be joshua garcia
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I got one for basketball once. No one of the team wanted it. We were trash lol
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I have a bunch of trophies for soccer and basketball growing up in school, YMCA, etc, and most of them are total participation trophies for sure, but whatever, it's all about having fun anyways. I do think it's totally lame to give a loser team a trophy for, well, losing. Like what's the point? You're just teaching little kids that they can achieve some kind of status without putting in any real effort.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Only once, when I was five, for soccer.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Nope. Can't get a participation trophy if you win. #winning.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I got a t-shirt for free once for showing up at a place but I don't think that counts.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
I received a couple in school, but on the whole they weren't really a thing.

I think if I ever have kids I'll be like, try harder next time, if they get one.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Is this more an American thing? I'm not sure we get these in the UK...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
There are 3 possible states:
  • Not showing up to the competition at all
  • You show up but you lose
  • You show up and you win

If we rank them the 1st as the least desirable, and the 3rd as the most desirable, it makes perfect sense to reward both the 2nd and 3rd (with the 3rd reward being better than the 2nd).

You want more people participating, that's good. E.g in sports it means more people getting off their asses, whether they lose or win. But yes, you shouldn't just butcher game theory and competition and it's effect on motivation, etc by giving everybody the same exact reward. The exception is when the activity isn't really a competition, but a fun activity for building team-work, building relationships, and have fun. In there there are only 2 options, "Not showing up" and "Showing up". It makes sense to give participation rewards in those
That moment where I wonder if gonzaw just writes for UG for a living
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
It's almost like he deserves a medal for all his active participation.
Quote by snipelfritz

I got one from a Go-Karting party and also I got "Most Improved Player" in my U11 football team which was clearly just for trying hard but yeah.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Oh wait no I remember at boarding school they handed out personalised "awards" praising our more virtuous interests.

fuckin sham I tell ya
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I've only ever gotten one for playing football (American football, you foreign sport nerds ) as a kid. And even then, it wasn't for a game, they just gave one to all the players at the end of the season or whatever it was.

If I ever participated in anything that resulted in a trophy or ribbon, I placed in it. But to be fair, that only accounts for like 5 events.
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by Banjocal
Oh wait no I remember at boarding school they handed out personalised "awards" praising our more virtuous interests.

fuckin sham I tell ya

In 6th form I got the award for most likely to become a Communist Revolutionary

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
There was even "participation prizes" when I was back in school. They were called "2nd place".
^ I used my Trade Certificate as a placemat for a while
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by k.lainad
You're just teaching little kids that they can achieve some kind of status without putting in any real effort.
i'm just going to go ahead and say the thing I was actually thinking about when I made this thread which is that kids can tell the difference between winning and losing and all praise for participation actually teaches them is that all praise is dishonest
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I've got a university diploma if that counts

It counts for fuck all else
A Baby Boomer's participation trophy is also known as their pension.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I got a participation medal when I was a kid for some sport/quiz event at school and it upset me endlessly. My parents felt bad and offered to buy me a trophy and it was then I knew: I'm a homosexual.
Actually i got one for a skiing race one time. It said something like "We award this prize to Gorky for and EXCELLENT RESULT in the race". Obviously i knew that the first 3 places got a prize that said "for 1st" and 2nd and so on place, so i was actually kinda insulted. In the end i think i threw it away.

Tbh, its kinda embarassing getting one.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I'm 48 and I played baseball for one year when I was a kid we won a game or two but that was it it was the entry level PeeWee leagues at the end of the season I got a small trophy I remember thinking why did I get a trophy? But I was 7 years old so I didn't worry too much about it and was glad I had a trophy until my older brother spilled the beans that my mom had paid for it at that point I felt insulted it lost all meaning to me. I couldn't tell you what ever happened to it.

It was an option for the parents of all the kids to purchase one this only pertained to the PeeWee the regular Little League teams still had to earn one at that point.

I suppose that was the beginning of participation trophies way back in '77.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

When I was in Tae Kwon Do and did well in the kata competitions for tournaments and actually won, it was a big thing. For little kids, it might be nice, but as they get older, losing sucks and doesn't get better because you showed up.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
sometimes. but it was always weak shit (eg certificate/badge) compared to the winner stuff. it was kinda justified most of the time because on something like sports days, they'd be taking the whole class out to a proper sports centre/arena when everyone rather just chill in school so you kinda had to give something to everyone recognising the effort. plus there was that whole thing during teens of some people being enthusiastic but crap at stuff and some people being great at stuff but didn't really care and it was kinda shitty if the enthusiastic people didn't get something because those events wouldn't be fun without them. a lot of events/clubs were just happy people were turning up and wanted to encourage attendance from more than the handful of people really good at the thing.

on another note, up until we were all in our early teens, everyone in our house got a present on someone's birthday. birthday person just got more gifts really.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I never got one
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Well, I did get crabs from TS's mum.
she never let me have any pets
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Only time I can remember ever getting a participation badge was when I used to do swimming competitions. I think I was maybe 10 years old.

They basically had bronze silver and gold go to the top 3 in each event, and then everyone else gets a "merit" badge for trying, provided you didn't place in the top 3 in any event.

The weird thing was that if you come third in one event and 4th in all the others, you go home with one bronze medal. If you come 4th in 8 events, you get 8 merit badges. So it didn't make sense.
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
I received them and threw them out right after because they're meaningless. I've never been convinced by the whole participation awards make people entitled, soft, etc. etc. It really doesn't give kids enough credit for how smart and intuitive they really are. Most people I knew growing up also knew the participation awards were bullshit, we still wanted to win a real prize, place on the podium, etc.

I don't think they're really that beneficial either. The whole concept seems to be in place to assuage the guilt and fears of parents more than anything.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by seanlang01
The whole concept seems to be in place to assuage the guilt and fears of parents more than anything.

DINGDINGDING

Participation awards were created to appease millennials' baby boomer parents, not millennials themselves.
Death to Ovation haters!
When I was 15 I won a marksman's competition when I was an Army Cadet. I got this dope compass as a prize.

I lost it not long after
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A Baby Boomer's participation trophy is also known as their pension.

not all baby boomers get pensions. i'm a boomer and i assure you that not only won't i get a pension but i'll probably have to work until i drop. looking forward to my last career as wahlmart greeter  
^ Yeah you need to watch you don't play generation wars because that's what they want... divide and conquer.

I don't have much time for (older) people poking fun at millennials- apparently you're responsible for when you're born? - but at the same time I don't have any time for millennials acting like older people had it easy either, because not all did (or maybe none did).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2