Hey everyone, I recently picked up a used Schecter C1 Plus for a steal of a price. I'm now looking at purchasing my first amp. I've been using AmpliTube, but it's time I pick up my first amp for the bedroom. I'm not doing any gigging, I'm a dad and I'm just looking to better my skills at home and such. My budget is around $200-$250.

After doing some research, I landed on these two amps.
  • VOX VT40X
  • Boss Katana KTN-50

I'm stuck on the VOX since I'd have more effects to play with since I'm still trying to "find my sound" and such. But the Boss is also a really nice sounding amp. Was just looking for some recommendations.
Personally, I'd go with the Peavey VIP series if I was going the modeling amp route. You could probably find a VIP VYPYR PRO 100 used in that price range. That's the top model they make.
As you're using Amplitube, why not experiment more with that until you've "found your sound"?

Try out different sims with different effects, and once you've narrowed it down to your favourite go out & buy that amp for real.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Xander_X
Personally, I'd go with the Peavey VIP series if I was going the modeling amp route. You could probably find a VIP VYPYR PRO 100 used in that price range. That's the top model they make.

I asked about the two models I mentioned, not Peavey. Thanks though.

Quote by GaryBillington
As you're using Amplitube, why not experiment more with that until you've "found your sound"?

Try out different sims with different effects, and once you've narrowed it down to your favourite go out & buy that amp for real.

AmpliTube is great, but there is a slight (few milliseconds) delay between guitar and what I'm hearing. I have a beast setup and everything is set to low so there is NO delay. Also have good audio equipment since I do computer stuff for a living. So I'm just trying to get an amp so I don't have to use AmpliTube.
Quote by TechJohnson
I asked about the two models I mentioned, not Peavey. Thanks though.

Ok, I never cared for the sound of anything from VOX and I've heard of too many electrical issues with the VT40x for me to even consider it.

The BOSS build quality is solid and has good options, I just think it sound too muddy and doesn't get bright enough for me. Plus missing that underlying warmth of a crunch tube that I love.
Quote by guitarsngear
What type of music do you like to play or are wanting to play?

Honestly, a mix. Anything from Led Zepplin style, to Coheed and Cambria style, to Avenged Sevenfold, to The Amity Affliction...I mean, everything honestly lol.
Quote by Xander_X
Ok, I never cared for the sound of anything from VOX and I've heard of too many electrical issues with the VT40x for me to even consider it.

The BOSS build quality is solid and has good options, I just think it sound too muddy and doesn't get bright enough for me. Plus missing that underlying warmth of a crunch tube that I love.

Thanks! I was never aware of anything electrical on the VT40X. I was also considering the VT20X since it was only for my bedroom and a bit cheaper in price. I am, however, leaving towards the Boss.
Quote by PSimonR
Seeing as its for a bedroom, have you considered a small, say 1W, valve amp?

Eh, not sure if that's what I want to go with right now, yano?
Thank you for all the recommendations. I ended up grabbing the BOSS KTN-50. The VOX sounded great, don't get me wrong, but the BOSS sounded more focused and had a better tone. At least to my ear.
As someone who owns a Katana (started with the 50, went to the 100) and has not owned the VTX, I'll give you my perspective. The Katana has a 50, 25 and 0.5 watt setting so that you can 'crank' the amp and simulate a loud tone without breaking your kid's eardrums. When you get it, you have access to load from 55 of BOSS's effects as well as a series of amp and cab models. Just connect to USB and download the software. You'll probably have to run the firmware update first, and that takes about 5 minutes total. I didn't notice the problem that was mentioned as far as lows. I am able to get great highs and lows from the amp. You can do all your settings from the laptop when connected, and you can use the USB out to run to your software for recording. I also play acoustic, and it has an acoustic preamp built in so you can play acoustic as well without it getting distorted or sounding simulated.

Can't speak to the VTX, but for $199, my $$ went to the Katana. Why did I upgrade? I needed features for gigging that the 50 watt didn't have, so if I wasn't using it in a band situation, I would have kept it.

Edited to add: Of course, I missed the post where you got it. Good choice. I am not a fan of VOX, but only because even on humbuckers, my tone needs to be mellowed. Enjoy!
Last edited by GoldJim at Feb 25, 2017,
i recently just got an orange micro dark, i love it, amazing the stones i can get out of that little thing.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'm iinclined to also recommend a low watt valve amp. But your gonna need pedals which will kill your budget. Never messed with that vox, but I have a da20. OK,but not what I'd call good. Last weekend ii plugged into a katana 50 and spider v 30. For higher gain stuff the katana was a clear winner, but Zeppelin, Frampton, Floyd I thought the spider was better. The spider was also better on the acoustic stuff. Month or so ago I plugged into the spider v 60. Which was better then both, but $50 or so over your budget. Gonna have to try before you buy to decide what you like.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by diabolical
I'm actually surprised that you can hear Amplitube latency of 4-6ms, which is what you should be getting if it is set properly.

To be honest, so was I. As someone who was trained classically as a trombone player on a higher level, it's very noticeable. I have everything set up, but when I play even simple riffs, it's noticeable. Mainly when playing hammer-ons and pull-offs do I notice it. When doing basic rhythm and strumming, I don't notice a thing.
Quote by GoldJim
As someone who owns a Katana (started with the 50, went to the 100) and has not owned the VTX, I'll give you my perspective. The Katana has a 50, 25 and 0.5 watt setting so that you can 'crank' the amp and simulate a loud tone without breaking your kid's eardrums. When you get it, you have access to load from 55 of BOSS's effects as well as a series of amp and cab models. Just connect to USB and download the software. You'll probably have to run the firmware update first, and that takes about 5 minutes total. I didn't notice the problem that was mentioned as far as lows. I am able to get great highs and lows from the amp. You can do all your settings from the laptop when connected, and you can use the USB out to run to your software for recording. I also play acoustic, and it has an acoustic preamp built in so you can play acoustic as well without it getting distorted or sounding simulated.

Can't speak to the VTX, but for $199, my $$ went to the Katana. Why did I upgrade? I needed features for gigging that the 50 watt didn't have, so if I wasn't using it in a band situation, I would have kept it.

Edited to add: Of course, I missed the post where you got it. Good choice. I am not a fan of VOX, but only because even on humbuckers, my tone needs to be mellowed. Enjoy!

Appreciate your input! I know I won't be gigging anytime soon. If that time ever comes, it'll be down the road some and by then, I'm sure I'll have upgraded everything. I'm simply just relearning and having a blast in the bedroom, yano? Bringing back my childhood passion!
Quote by scott58
I'm iinclined to also recommend a low watt valve amp. But your gonna need pedals which will kill your budget. Never messed with that vox, but I have a da20. OK,but not what I'd call good. Last weekend ii plugged into a katana 50 and spider v 30. For higher gain stuff the katana was a clear winner, but Zeppelin, Frampton, Floyd I thought the spider was better. The spider was also better on the acoustic stuff. Month or so ago I plugged into the spider v 60. Which was better then both, but $50 or so over your budget. Gonna have to try before you buy to decide what you like.

Interesting you'd put Line 6 on the list. When in my younger days, Line 6 was the "best of the best" for a middle school/high school student...until realizing how "terrible" their tone was. I thought the stigma around Line 6 was still subpar. Could be wrong since it's been so many years. I could still be stuck in my younger days with brands, yano? I'll have to test a Line 6 out in the future!
Quote by TechJohnson
Interesting you'd put Line 6 on the list. When in my younger days, Line 6 was the "best of the best" for a middle school/high school student...until realizing how "terrible" their tone was. I thought the stigma around Line 6 was still subpar. Could be wrong since it's been so many years. I could still be stuck in my younger days with brands, yano? I'll have to test a Line 6 out in the future!

Here's where BOSS did not do themselves any favors: you have to connect the computer to get the rest of the tonal capabilities. That means you can't really tell in a music store if you can get the tones you want from it! You get the stuff they loaded, and that's it. The way I test thing is to buy it, take it home and play it in my environment. Guitar Center has got a huge room and there's always someone practicing scales or their favorite solo in the room. They might have a Les Paul, but does it have '57 Tributes or 490T/R pickups? I prefer to play through my rig and test it with the band. So I get it home, dial in some tones and then take it to a couple rehearsals or a gig. Guitar Center will take it back with a smile. I returned 6 amps this month alone! That doesn't count the pedals and guitars I've tried.

Line 6 has come leaps and bounds, and the Spider V is the best of their combos. That said, I found it sterile and lacking punch. I use a Gibson Les Paul Tribute, Gibson Les Paul Traditional, PRS Single Cut (2001 pre-lawsuit model), PRS Custom 22 (2006 with Dragon pickups), Fender American Stratocaster Seymour Duncan pickups and a piezo loaded bridge from LR Baggs among other guitars. I have a BOSS ME 80 and several individual effects. I also have 6 amplifiers for various uses. I can't drag it all to GC, so I have to take gear home and try it.

You made a great choice for your situation.
Don't get me wrong. I'm just stating which ones I thought were better playing different things and they will do the job. But were still talking about $200 amps. They are only going to be so good. For every $100 you can add to an amp budget you see miles of improvement. Just trying to stay within the confines of your post and having only tried the katana and owned a vox da20 can really only generalize.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD