Hi guys! Im looking into getting a loop station and really need some advice if anyone on here can help me. Basically i have an acoustic guitar and i have an sm58 mic.. so would i be able to mic up the guitar and plug it into a loop station (im thinking about getting the boss rc-30)? And then route that to an amp? If so what type of amp would i need?
Thanks a lot
Tobes
Before I give you a good answer: Are you looking to do solo acoustic gigs with vocals?
GoldJim
Well i definitely cant sing well enough to do gigs but yeah that is essentially what i want to do in my bedroom. The guitar is the main thing ill be looping though.
If you're doing acoustic, any looper is fine. I only asked because I didn't know if you needed something that would do vocals. For the loop, the RC 30 would be fine and any acoustic guitar amp would work as well. Since you're using an SM-58, you could try using the TC-Helicon Ditto Mic Looper https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DittoMic?adpos=1o5&creative=55686342961&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=DittoMic&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0L_FBRDMmaCTw5nxm-ABEiQABn-VqRMlSPubEd_licuSDLwZUX2vw6cXV37BsIvamQSSUJcaAkr38P8HAQ. Unless you're going to need a guitar amp for electric later, just get a small, portable PA for busking. They can be cheap or expensive, based on your volume needs, of course. If you're playing at home or in small coffee shops, the Mackie FreePlay https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FreePlay or Helicon VoiceSolo https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FX150 should be fine. Might seem like a lot of wattage, but the important thing with acoustic gigs is clear, clean sound, and these will have headroom to keep your volume down and sound good.
Last edited by GoldJim at Feb 24, 2017,
Funkmunky92
I would recommend the RC-30 looper by Boss, because it is fairly compact, but also works very well. It has inputs for two instruments and a mic, so it should suit your purposes. I use mine with my acoustic, my keyboard, and a mic and it works great.
LittleMartin
Quote by LittleMartin549
Funkmunky92
I would recommend the RC-30 looper by Boss, because it is fairly compact, but also works very well. It has inputs for two instruments and a mic, so it should suit your purposes. I use mine with my acoustic, my keyboard, and a mic and it works great.

Yeah, I should have clarified why I recommended the Ditto. It's smaller, simpler, and less expensive. LittleMartin549 is using the RC 30 more towards its intended purpose, multiple instruments and vocals. The Ditto is only $100 new and you can do multiple layers (watch the demos on their page). I use the Helicon VoiceLive 3, but I do vocals, guitar, loops, and tracks. Just depends on what need and will use as to what works best for you.
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys! I think I'm going to go with the rc-30 as I would like to have the option to add other instruments and I just like what I've heard about it. I'll have to have a think about which amp/pa to get but your saying that any acoustic amp or pa will work for this but not an electric amp right? And if I wanted to add an electric guitar, would I need a separate amp for that?
Quote by Funkmunky92
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys! I think I'm going to go with the rc-30 as I would like to have the option to add other instruments and I just like what I've heard about it. I'll have to have a think about which amp/pa to get but your saying that any acoustic amp or pa will work for this but not an electric amp right? And if I wanted to add an electric guitar, would I need a separate amp for that?

LittleMartin549, can handle this one better, but I believe the best way to do this would be to run the guitar through its amp, mic it (or use direct out), then send that to the looper in this case. Otherwise, you'll be amplifying all your instruments, and that's not the best case. Any guitar amp with a direct or line output will be fine for your use here. Think about it like your voice, you're not running your guitar into your mouth, for amplification, right? Sounds silly, but that's what you'd be doing if you went from the looper into the guitar amp.

edited to add: This is what I do with the Helicon unit. Think of your looper like a mixer, everything you loop goes there before it gets to the PA.
Last edited by GoldJim at Feb 25, 2017,