Page 1 of 3
What have you guys been listening to as of late?

Don't really care what genre. Let's get some music talk going on.

Personally, mostly Spazz. Some Rudimentary Peni.

Haven't been as active in metal. Outside of Helstar, almost no metal. Helstar withstands the test of time without a doubt.

Mostly been sweatin to the oldies (spazz reference). Nice blog, douchebag.

Go ham.
Sabbat - Envenom
Sabbat - Evoke
Sabbat - Karmagmassacre
Sabbat - Satanasword
Sabbat - Karisma
Sabbat - The Dwelling
Sabbat - Disembody

The graves of the 80's. Brack fire burning brack.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Atavism
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Traveller

The mood struck me. So much riffs on Atavism.

Cryptic Slaughter - Money Talks

Feels fitting given everyone's sour demeanor politically, hah. Killer old school crossover, done the real way.

Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy
Pagan Altar - Mythical and Magical

Will survive as one of the all times great of the genre as a whole. True, spirited, full of heart and passionate magic. A sound completely devoid of pretense.

Slayer - Show No Mercy

No reason. Just whiskey.

Urfaust - Verräterischer Nichtswürdiger
Urfaust - Empty Space Meditations

Because its been cold at night and I've been indoors surrounded by books, heavy incense and the drink.

Tollund Men - Autoerotik

See above.

Wulkanaz - HaglaNaudizEisaz
Wulkanaz - Paralys

One of my absolute favorite acts going at it right now. Such a unique and wholly realized atmosphere. Nothing qite sounds like it and this is achieved solely through the playing of Metal; no gimmicks.

Infester - To The Depths, in Degredation

Filth.

Imprecation - Theurgia Goetia Summa

Still grabbing me back to the stereo to this day.

Warloghe - The First Possession
Warloghe - Womb of Pestilence

Been struck by a mood for raw corpse altar light worship. That last track on Womb, god damn.

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction

The Tyrant is still King.

Savatage - In The Hallf of the Mountain King

Never loses any of its potency. Never.

Stone of Naples - Corde Oblique

Wanted to listen to beautiful European woman sing beautifully.

Depressive Silence - Demo III

The best Dungeon Synth ever I feel like.

Black Widow - Sacrifice

Digging that 70's sound and play style lately.

Skyforger - Zobena dziesma

Great folk.

THIN LIZZY

And a whole bunch more but I'll type it later if asked. Been playing a bunch of Metal demos this month, so more of the same from last year. Lotta Metal, lotta Rock, lotta weird, lotta Folk, lotta lo-fi, some sound tracks, some Classical, some ambient...
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Feb 25, 2017,
Been trying to listen to later Fates Warning over the past week but this neutral prog metal sounds like something you'd buy at a coffee shop.

Have been on a prog/power kick though:

Timelord - Regeneration
Destiny's End - Transition
Control Denied - The Fragile Art of Existence

Other than that, Meat Loaf and ABBA. Don't judge me.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Fates warning I will always listen to Awakening and Spectre. Otherwise nah no thanks. Still prefer Spectre any day of the week haha

Hey man Meatloaf is great, I am a huge fan of theatrics in music. Remember Trop Feross? Same thing. Music you can take it or leave it but those theatrics pushes it. My favourite frank zappa album is Joe's Garage, a huge concept album you could have on stage and be uniquely exciting.

I mean, I still almost religiously live off of Bonnie Tyler.

Please judge me.

Actually, on the topic of Lord Weird, that's another one I found myself humming to. How did Scalzi capture such a unique sound and make it catchy as fuck?

Hiberno-Latin Invasion is so beautifully catchy. Such a ferocious energy mixed in with classic rock feelings. Caught myself humming it on the bus this morning. Made me look weird and I didn't care. Headbanging mandatory.

It is weird how close our musical tastes are VG. I was literally wearing my Sabbath shirt today.
Quote by severed-metal

It is weird how close our musical tastes are VG. I was literally wearing my Sabbath shirt today.

That an accidental H?

Sabbat.

Fates Warning one of the all time best.

Big Country - Big Country

A favorite pop album.

Absu - Sun of Tiphareth

SEA OF URUK
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
LISA soundtrack on wax LP. You pick it up Sev?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Listening to Order from Chaos - Stillbirth Machine at the moment. Desolate, alien and evil, just how I like it.

Been on a bit of a punk binge, sifting through the relatively small number of punk releases I like. Most recently Negative Approach and the killer Faith/Void split. Planing to explore Industrial a little. I've honestly never heard Godflesh before, and only heard a few early Swans albums. That's the extent of my familiarity with the sound unless you count stuff like Nitzer Ebb.

Before that I was listening to Biosphere - Microgravity. Neat album. I'm really into minimalist approaches to techno and ambient music, so it hits the spot nicely.

Binged hard on Finnish death for a while with new found love for Adramelech as a reward.

Played Don't Break the Oath nonstop for a while the other day.

And before all that I was on a strict diet of pure heavy metal. Manilla Road, Manowar, Iron Maiden, etc. Along with some new stuff like Sumerlands.

That reminds me, how come nobody ever talks about Oz? Fire in the Brain has to be one of my favorite heavy metal albums ever.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Feb 25, 2017,
Quote by Ironic Maiden

That reminds me, how come nobody ever talks about Oz? Fire in the Brain has to be one of my favorite heavy metal albums ever.

My post history is littered with accolades for Oz. If it worked as such, you could bring up post from as far back as 2008 where I praise them shamelessly. I am quite possibly the biggest fan of Fire in the Brain that I have ever met in my life. I don't know if many mathematicians could count how many times I have played that album.

I have a adlib version of Fortune where I change up the chorus a bit from

Fortune - Major fortune

into something where I praise my woman's massive breasts

Boobage - Major boobage

My voicemail message is often
Fire in the brain, take one! *beep*

I often yell Megalomaniacs ending lyrics as boisterously as I can when achieving any mundane activity. Fastest, loudest son of a bitch etc.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Feb 25, 2017,
Goddamn, I don't know why I've never noticed. I think I've seen you mention it one time.

Discovered that album way too late, but Jesus I must've played it 20 times with no breaks in between.

YOUR HEART IS CAST OF GOLD

THATS WHY IT FEELS SO COLD
Yeah I have to type on my phone. Haven't had a computer in like Six months haha.

Autocorrect is nonsense

Lisa vinyl? Through Ghost Ramp I think? I am likely going to order but I honestly didn't even know it existed until now. Likely just go for the cheap option haha

That soundtrack still bounces around my head frequently.

I have more to say. But there's always tomorrow. Right now, Siege Mentality has the best Riffs and I'm hooked on that sound.
Soundtrack to LISA is wacky. Love that shit. Need to replay that game and get around to the Joyful one of these days.

Had to listen to Fire in the Brain tonight. Maybe Klaus Schulze later.
I spent last night finally checking out Schluze's Timewind as well as the three Kluster albums that I never got to. They were cool but I expected more ambient electronic like Schulze or Tangerine Dream, didn't expect it to be so much on the experimental noise side but I dug it. About to go work out and today shall be started with

oh yeah!

in general i've still been all over the place. Lots of jazz and I am only getting deeper and deeper into the world of real blues, especially cause I go watch live blues pretty much 4 or 5 nights a week if not more so I'm learning a whole bunch about it. But I'm also keeping it well balanced and actually listening to metal a lot more regularly, been going through a lot of the 80's heavy, thrash and early black/death stuff and remembering how killer it all is.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Last edited by romencer17 at Feb 26, 2017,
That's more or less how I feel about Timewind. It's cool, same with irrlicht, but not something I'd listen to all the time. Much bigger fan of Tangerine Dream than Klaus, though. Rubycon all day every day.

I tried to get into Tyrant but they bore me. I don't get the praise.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Feb 26, 2017,
I remember Tyrant, remind me of Accept.

Anywho, as of late, I have been listening to classic rock like Boston, CCR, etc. Normally I listen to Death, Obituary, etc.
right now in my car I have

blood incantation - starspawn
arghoslent - incorrigible bigotry
perturbator - the uncanny valley

and last week I bought in battle there is no law on vinyl, spawn it a couple times so far.

Tried looking for some hiphop at my local record shop, but the pickings are even more slim than their metal section...I just want Run DMC's self titled, and was looking in to some poor righteous teachers.
Last edited by landry9 at Feb 26, 2017,
metal-wise: Bell Witch - demo and Longing

other than that, lots of classic wu, bunch of southern rap (UGK, Z-Ro, Triple 6, 8Ball & MJG, Juvenile, Geto Boys, etc)
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Quote by kirkisking
lots of classic wu, bunch of southern rap (UGK, Z-Ro, Triple 6, 8Ball & MJG, Juvenile, Geto Boys, etc)

Patrice O'neal (comedian) hosted a radio show where he went over a bunch of rap songs and the original songs they sampled, it was pretty awesome:

Geto boys - mind playing tricks on me = hung up on my baby by isaac hughs
Tupac - california love = women to women by joe cocker
Some Jay z song used 5 to 1 by the Doors
Bizmark - just a friend = freddie scott, you got what I need
Pharcyde - passing me by = quincy jones, summer in the city

Also the Public enemy album: it takes a nation of millions.... has 3 different songs that all sampled this one song:
A lot of stuff.
Been on a bit of a Iron Maiden binge since day before as well.
other one I've been listening quite a lot is Overkill

Sabbat (UK)
Testament - Practice/Souls of Black
Running Wild - Port Royal
Blind Guardian - Nightfall/Imaginations
Skyclad - The Wayward Sons of Mother Earth
Satan - Court in the Act
Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirrorrr
Tiamat - Clouds/Wildhoney
Morgoth - Cursed
I give you one metal, and one that is probably more metal than you think:

New Craven Idol is sounding pretty polished to me.

The folk influences overlap with a lot of melodic black metal like Naglfar, Dissection, Hyperion, etc. Wouldn't mind hearing one of those artists do a cover of this.
This week has been a week of thrash. Mostly recent thrash. Come for the riffing, stay for those meandering middle sections.

Overkill - Ironbound: Is there anything more purely heavy fucking metal than Overkill? Ironbound is their best album since the 80's. Really an awesome album. Actually their last 4 albums have all been solid and consistent.

Heathen - Evolution of Chaos

Paradox - Pangea: Paradox have released 8 albums since the 80's and they are all super consistent. Summoning levels of consistency throughout the years, commendable.

Check this riff at 1:53. Yeaa that's the good stuff.

Jesus FUCK Godflesh is really good.

Been just listening to Swans and Godflesh along with some Chopin and Debussy because nothing goes better with Godflesh and Swans than Images for Piano II
Only Summoning lately. Stronghold (oh yeah!), Dol Guldur and some reverb-ladden doom metal a'la Thergothon to go with it.
Iron Maiden - Killers

Manowar - Battle Hymns

Manilla Road - Crystal Logic/Deluge/Open The Gates/Mystification/Out of the Abyss/The Courts of Chaos

Mgla - Hearts Towards None/Exercises in Futility

Void Meditiation Cult - Utter the Tongues of the Dead

Dughpa - Dughpa

Warloghe - Womb of Pestilence

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction

Slauter Xtroyes - WInter Kill

Impetigo - Horror of the Zombies

Master - Master

Deathhammer - Satan is Back

Motorhead - The Bomber

Dub Buk - Іду на ви!

Yes - Relayer

Sacriphyx - The Western Front

Recitations - First of the Listeners

The Obsessed - Lunar Womb

Reverend Bizarre - Harbinger of Metal

Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 2 OST

Daemonia Nymphe - The Bacchic Dance of the Nymphs

Kiss The Anus of a Black Cat - If The Sky Falls We Shall Catch Larks/ An Interlude to the Outermost

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Mar 3, 2017,
Black Widow - Sacrifice
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Hmm... You spend a lot of time listening. For me it's been Necrophobic and Deicide's latest lately. And Summoning of course (mainly Stronghold),
Last edited by Ozzy87_2 at Mar 4, 2017,
That's because VG has become the music.

Today it's still Godflesh but I'm thinking about listening to Killers because I've been on a steady diet of only Iron Maiden's self titled for months now.

Also Cianide - The Dying Truth
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Mar 4, 2017,
Generally spend three to four hours day on music. The big list was from two consecutive days and included my morning, afternoon and evening playlist. So coffee music, hike music, gym music, car music and then pleasure listening at home. I usually have a playlist or theme for a period of time.

Today was more of the same from the aforementioned list.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Your music listening schedule is commendable, VG!

I think I have the following in my car for the drives.
Cobalt-Slow Forever
Obliteration-Black Death Horizon
Dodsengel-Visionary
The Mars Volta-Basically the discography.

Been listening to At The Drive In's Relationship of Command a lot though since I'm seeing them perform in May.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Pillorian - Obsidian Arc streaming here.

They're trying to pitch it as something different to Agalloch. Frankly, it's not and I love it.

Next up:
40 Watt Sun - Wider than the Sky
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Trying out Obsidian Arc now. Before that was more of the same from my previous list meaning Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat, Dughpa and Wulkanaz - Paralys.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Holy fuck, The Vestige of Thorns...

I have a lot to say. And will say it shortly. But for now that is all.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Listening to Obsidian Arc is quite the reminder how distant of a past it was where we confronted warm cabins in the woods as metaphors for death; where as birds we watched feminine spirits from cold towers; when we painted the sky with the blood of a raven. The music reflects this difference but it is not a qualitative judgement I am making and in fact I quite enjoyed what I heard. It is quite far from their pale roots is all. Replace forlorn with scorn, trade in bereavement for contempt. Sounds like getting older, yeah? Things check out, makes sense even.

I was prepared for dissapointment and instead was greeted with something that sounded good and sounded even better on the second spin. Even the first part of Arcaen Divinity sounded better the second time around, that first BUM BUM *pause* riff that I didn't really like.

The ethos here seems to take what Black Lake Níðstang laid out and aged it a few years; It no longer ponders or wonders, it just has this absolute disdain for the source of cancer. A long time ago they mentioned the fortress of man burning and here we are in the ashes but the river of man still flows with a sickening ichor. I mean shit, an Agalloch song just used the line, "rusty nails."

Excuse me, a Pillorian song.

It's not just wood, stone and pillor here. It's micro and macro levels of cosmic pillor. Scorn and contempt.

It is understandable and relatable to miss Don's presence. But his playing is something else entirely than we see here. He always provided the Sculptured to Agalloch, the Falling Snow riff etc. I am looking forwards to his work in the future. Jason as well obviously.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Mar 5, 2017,
Lunar Shadow - Far From Light

Epic heavy metal that takes black metal influence. Glorious lead riffing. One of the coolest trad releases so far this year.

This morning of coffee and dull sunlight was accompanied by

Ben Frost - School for Emotional Engineering
Ben Frost - Music for Sad Children

Last night I had a whole lotta beer and

Wulkanaz - Paúrpura Fræovíbôkôs

Vordr - In The Shadow of the Wolf

S.O.D. - Speak English or Die

Eternal Dirge - Morbus Ascendit

Ben Frost - By The Throat

Ben Frost is a fucking artist.

Today I'll be revisiting Obsidian Arc, pairing it with Tales From The Thousand Lakes and Wayward Sons of Mother Earth. Tune in for more.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Mar 6, 2017,
Quote by Kytokinesis
This week has been a week of thrash. Mostly recent thrash. Come for the riffing, stay for those meandering middle sections.

Overkill - Ironbound: Is there anything more purely heavy fucking metal than Overkill? Ironbound is their best album since the 80's. Really an awesome album. Actually their last 4 albums have all been solid and consistent.

Just saw Overkill live few days ago! Amazing energy..I was also listening to their newer stuff recently...
Last edited by elatihc at Mar 6, 2017,
Page 1 of 3
Recommended threads
Funeral Doom ( 1 2 3 )
Crazed Shredder
Last post:
by Kytokinesis
Trial
Morphogenesis26
Last post:
by Kytokinesis