On the package it says "It's not just a pickup; it's a weapon of tonal Armageddon."

They were right.

Picked up this Nazgul 6 Trembucker to replace the Blackout AHB-1s in my Schecter Blackjack ATX V1, as seen in the second picture. For a long time, I've been dissatisfied by my Blackouts, ever since putting a set of Black Winters in my other guitar. I almost pulled the trigger on another Black Winter set but was really curious about the Nazgul, since I normally tune this guitar a bit lower (C# Standard most of the time, but occasionally Drop-B) and gathered that it excels at lower tunings.

Anyway, the Nazgul is just what the doctor ordered! I wanted something similar to the Black Winter but wasn't really keen on having exactly the same pickups in my second guitar. Indeed, the Nazgul is similar to the BW bridge, but there are some nice differences and contrasts. I'm not sure which one I prefer overall, TBH. Where the BW is ruthless in all frequencies, the Nazgul is a bit more focused on the upper mids and has a tighter, faster feel. The BW bridge is somewhat bassier and warmer and in my opinion sounds better with slightly higher tunings. Comparing them both in D Standard (my fav tuning), I still prefer the BW. But as I tuned lower, the Nazgul really started to come to life.

It definitely has a twangy nature to it, which is actually a benefit the lower you tune it. It excels at single-note 220+ bpm death metal riffing and tremelo picking on the lower strings. I absolutely love the lead tones I'm getting too. Chugs are very tight and percussive, but maintain plenty of mass. The Black Winter sounds more massive though. Anyway, both are excellent pups and I'm happy to have each of them. I plan to do an audio comparison soon.

Overall, I've reached an epiphany with this pickup. I was worried that it would sound djenty, as that's how it sounds in 99% of all the demos I've ever heard. If you've read any of my posts, you realize I detest the djent sound. :lol: But I was curious enough about this pickup to try it, and I'm glad I did. I had a hypothesis that pickups don't really determine the genre -- they just enhance or lend themselves to certain flavors of tone. While the Nazgul is certainly an ideal choice for getting a djent tone, it is most definitely not limited to that. I play a mix of higher-production black metal (not the lofi sound) and 90s to early 2000s death metal, and the Nazgul works extremely well for that as well. Super pleased with my purchase!

One thing I didn't mention is that I'm currently running an EMG/ESP LH 300 in the neck, because I had one laying around. It is basically an EMH HZ, which always get a bad rap. Anyway, I wired this up with a push/pull tone pot, and the EMG actually sounds okay for cleans when running coil-split. Eventually I'll replace it with a SD Jazz, Sentient, or Black Winter neck, but I'm not in a hurry.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 26, 2017,
Sounds like you're a proud poppa! Congrats on your new pup!

It definitely has a twangy nature to it, which is actually a benefit the lower you tune it.

Sounds like it should be the favorite pickup for Blackened Bluegrass.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Sounds like it should be the favorite pickup for Blackened Bluegrass.

Blackened Bluegrass you say? What a splendid idea! Might be the only way I can ever get a gig around my parts...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by AcousticMirror
Does it djent?

It definitely lends itself to that, but I don't play in that style so I can't really comment on how well it does for that.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Blackened bluegrass, eh? Tony rice just got a little cold on his shoulder.
I kid, it would be interesting to hear some bluegrass riffs like that though.

Happy new pickup day!!
If you were ever fortunate enough to see The Bad Livers perform, you would know that the seeds for Blackened Bluegrass were planted long ago, but were never watered...

I feel very fortunate to not have
But in all fairness, they do play a mean banjo. I'll be sure to show my guitar teacher that video when I go for lesson this week, he also teaches bluegrass banjo, so he should get a kick out of it.
I take bluegrass guitar lessons, in case you was curious
Quote by KailM

On the package it says "It's not just a pickup; it's a weapon of tonal Armageddon."

I just picked up a used 27" seven-string that came with a Nazgul in the bridge. $200 for the guitar (plus tax plus shipping). I'm not sure I'm all wound out about it. Maybe I'll have to bang on it some more.
Silent_Crow13

They were all quite talented. There was one performance of theirs broadcast on one of Austin's public access tv channels. At one point, they stopped and swapped instruments, then continued.

Then they did it again. IOW, each played each instrument during the gig.

Quite fun!

They never got signed, though supposedly, there was always a lot of big label interest...if they would just get rid of the guy on the banjo.

That guy, Danny Barnes, has since been a sideman to a lot of big names, so he's doing alright.

Now...back to the regularly scheduled new pickup day thread!

Quote by dspellman
I just picked up a used 27" seven-string that came with a Nazgul in the bridge. $200 for the guitar (plus tax plus shipping). I'm not sure I'm all wound out about it. Maybe I'll have to bang on it some more.

I've heard that the 7-string version sounds different than the six. One thing that's becoming more and more evident to my ears is that it really likes to be downtuned. It's a pretty bright pickup, which can become shrill if tuned to E Standard, heck, even Eb standard. Sounds pretty good at D, but even better at C#. It's also a pretty unforgiving pickup, since it's very clear. Any extra noise or mistakes -- you're going to hear it. I'm still really liking it though. I could see how it wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea though. For fire-breathing metal pickups, my Black Winter set is a lot more versatile. I can't wait to mix the two guitars on a recording though; should sound good.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Now...back to the regularly scheduled new pickup day thread!

LOL at that video Danny. I went to a country show a few years back; headliner was some pop-country local chick that was starting to really make a name for herself and toured with the big names, but her backup band that day played a performance by themselves before she came on, and played very fast country and bluegrass. The singer/fiddle player was a demon on his instrument. Anyway, on the last song of their set they played "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and in the middle of the song morphed it into "South of Heaven" by Slayer; and played it very well, I must say. After the show they had a merch counter and I told the band I really liked their material but especially liked it when they broke out some Slayer. "There's always ONE GUY that knows that's a Slayer song," said the singer, and gave me a high-five. Much respect to that band!
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 28, 2017,
Quote by KailM
I've heard that the 7-string version sounds different than the six. One thing that's becoming more and more evident to my ears is that it really likes to be downtuned. It's a pretty bright pickup, which can become shrill if tuned to E Standard, heck, even Eb standard. Sounds pretty good at D, but even better at C#.

A seven should replicate downtuning, at least among the bottom half-dozen strings. I've got no six-string Nazgul to compare to, but I'll keep you posted on my impressions of the 7.
dannyalcatraz[/USER

That particular tune was not for me. That's outstanding. To all be so good at each instrument. The banjo players skill was amazing. I had never heard of him before. I'll have to check out some more of his stuff.

I would love to have seem that.
Speaking of stuff like that, their is a girl taking uke lesson at the shop I get my guitar lessons and she does metal songs on it. Very well I might add too.

Have you tried to pup on any other styles of music?