I've got a Washburn Mercury II Series with Floyd Rose Special which was made in 1995. I've recently had new strings and a Service on it and the condition of it is immaculate. My missus has said she will buy me a new guitar for my birthday but my budget is only £400; I'm keen on getting a bit better at shredding and I'm not sure my Washburn is great for it; was considering the Schecter omen extreme 6. Do you think this is a worthwhile investment or shall I just not bother and keep what I've got.
Actually the Washburn Mercury II's were pretty solid little shredders, made by World Musical Instruments S Korea if not mistaken, Alder body, maple necks with rosewood boards, and last I checked WMI makes a very reputable guitar for many brand names, Its only down fall was the cheap electronics and crappy Licensed FR, Although many were hard tails also, Couple hundred bucks and a few hours on the bench you'd have a guitar that would kick the dog out of anything you could buy within your price range today, Obviously you'd want to install an original FR and choice of pickups and other goodies is just a matter of preference, But at least it wouldn't be an Indonesian made Beauty Queen,
I have to agree, while not a pro-grade guitar (which is truthfully relative), The old Washburn's were pretty decent guitars. I second your best bet would be to use that money to upgrade the bridge and pick ups. I really believe you'll be much happier with it than I low end Schecter, or the large majority of guitars in that price range made today.

Another option might be a very early 90's Jackson Professional series. Not sure what your market is for them there. But they pretty much came "bred to shred", if you will, and can be picked up regularly around your price range in the states.
Quote by Xander_X
I have to agree, while not a pro-grade guitar (which is truthfully relative), The old Washburn's were pretty decent guitars. I second your best bet would be to use that money to upgrade the bridge and pick ups. I really believe you'll be much happier with it than I low end Schecter, or the large majority of guitars in that price range made today.

Another option might be a very early 90's Jackson Professional series. Not sure what your market is for them there. But they pretty much came "bred to shred", if you will, and can be picked up regularly around your price range in the states.
I've seen a Jackson Pro or two around that price point used every so often. More recent models, true(I still kind of regret not picking up the Pro Kelly with the red swirl not so long ago, even though the neck is a little thinner than I'd like), but they're still not at all bad.
slapsymcdougal

Not that the newer "Pros" are bad by any means, in fact the new MIM ones are great. However, I was alluding to the very early 90's Professional series made in the Chushin Gakki plant in Japan.