I want a Telecaster, I'm not paying for the American made so the leaves me with the MIM standard, a Squire or one of Rondo musics 120$ specials.

Anyone playing a Squire? What do you think?

Did anyone take the plunge and buy one of the 120$ Teles from Rondo? What do you think?

Any other suggestions for something low cost but with a decent body and neck, I'm going to replace the electronics regardless so really... Just a good body and neck are all I'm after.
Check out G&L's Indonesian-made Tribute ASATs. They're at least as good as the MiM Fender Teles. And if you buy one, don't change the electronics until you actually try them out: they're made with many similar parts as their USA brand mates.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Danny is right on that, the G&L Tributes are solid. I had an ASAT Special Tribute and really liked it. There are some neat rarer Squier Tele's too, particularly the ProTone line (I had the Thinline, which was great, I just couldn't get on with the very thin neck). I've got a MIM FSR ash Tele that is very nice, and I've had several other MIM's that were awesome.

What's your budget, location, preference for pickups, etc.?
OffsetOffset
Hmmm G&L is as much as a MIM Tele, but it's a contender due the wood used, swampash body and hard rock maple neck.
The idea here is to get into the body and neck as cheaply as possible, then replace the electronics with a 920D drop in from Sigler.
I've been looking at some Tele kits from Warmoth, however it took me ~5 hours just to intonate my Strat so I'm not real confident with the kit idea.
Understood, but the counterpoint stands- the ASAT Tributes may have electronics that already sound the way you want, which ultimately saves you time & money.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I've never gone Tele bottom-feeding but the ASAT Tribute and MiM Tele are damn nice and easily found used for $200ish. This would be my target instead of going rock bottom and hoping to get lucky.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I've played a lot of Squier in my time, very good quality instrument for the money. Have not played a G&L so can't comment, but the Squier is usually well built and decently setup but with cheap hardware, but I'd recommend to anyone. The necks usually feel really nice on Squiers though the frets can tend to be a bit small on them, not a big issue unless you like monster frets.

That said new Squier guitars these days are not cheap like they were 10 years ago, probably look used if I were you.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Cajundaddy
Where is it you guys are finding these $200 deals? I've been swimming through craigslist, and reverb.com prices are the same as the music stores no deals there.
I would LOVE to find a $200 MIM Fender Tele.

Keep hoping I'll find some meth head jonesing and selling his gear.
Quote by 33db
Cajundaddy
Where is it you guys are finding these $200 deals? I've been swimming through craigslist, and reverb.com prices are the same as the music stores no deals there.
I would LOVE to find a $200 MIM Fender Tele.

Keep hoping I'll find some meth head jonesing and selling his gear.

SoCal- I see em regularly listed between $200-$300 and if it looks good I call and ask em if they have some wiggle room in the price I might buy it today. Musicians are always broke and need cash now. I always have cash. Just gotta be patient and wait for the right one.

Got my Fender USA Corona Strat for $450 in excellent cond. with factory hard case.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
SX has some "Furrian" models in the $100 range. I've seen just one or two, and they provide pretty much everything that a cheap tele should.
Quote by Cajundaddy
SoCal- I see em regularly listed between $200-$300 and if it looks good I call and ask em if they have some wiggle room in the price I might buy it today. Musicians are always broke and need cash now. I always have cash. Just gotta be patient and wait for the right one.

Got my Fender USA Corona Strat for $450 in excellent cond. with factory hard case.

Woof!

I suspect things are similar in other major music cities, though. Hmmm. Next time I'm in Austin...

Well I did a search in the Los Angeles Craigslist between 100 and 300$'s and bam, tons of Telecasters, mostly Squire with some off brands I've never heard of.
So yeah, any city known for music has musical instruments cheap.
I would say too bad I don't live in LA, but then... you know... I would live in LA.
Last edited by 33db at Feb 27, 2017,
You could shoot me for saying this, but the G&L doesn't feel like a fender to me. I just never got along with them. However they are very nice guitars. they just don't feel tele to me.

I have owned it dozen Mexican teles. at the moment I own one MIM strat, and three high end USA teles.

I would just hold out for Mexican one. As far as a point regarding the wood of G&L I don't fuss about the would a whole lot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For what it's worth, here's my story. Back in 1995 I decided I wanted a Tele. I had Strats, Les Paul's, semi hollows all kinds of guitars for various sounds but I never had a Tele. They are unique. I talked to someone at a rather large music store and asked the salesman what was his slowest day. He said Monday morning before noon. I said I wanted to come in on Monday and check out all the Squire Tele's he had in stock. I promised I would not waste his time and I will definitely buy at least one. When I came back I got to play 8-9 Fender Squire Tele's and found two that were really good. I bought one and have never regretted it. It plays well, sounds great and the only mod I ever did was a new pickguard (it could use better tuners now). Now go to 2014. I thought I would upgrade and bought a MIM Tele. While I owned it for about a year and a half I didn't play it much because the old Squire Tele sounded and played so much better. I traded the MIM to Guitar Center on an Epiphone bass.

I don't know if I just got incredibly lucky in 1995 or the Squire Tele's of that era were better but I think it couldn't hurt to do what I did and just go play as many Squire's as you can. You may just hit on one that just sings without breaking the bank.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 27, 2017,
Rickholly74
Old squires (80's I believe) were reputed to be as good as Fender American's.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I don't fuss about the would a whole lot.

For me, though I don't "know" it for sure, there has to be a difference between alder and pine.
I question how much the wood has to do with tone in a guitar since it is just wire vibrating over a magnet, but in terms of durability and the possibility that the wood does matter I would avoid pine.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
You could shoot me for saying this, but the G&L doesn't feel like a fender to me. I just never got along with them. However they are very nice guitars. they just don't feel tele to me.

I have owned it dozen Mexican teles. at the moment I own one MIM strat, and three high end USA teles.

I would just hold out for Mexican one. As far as a point regarding the wood of G&L I don't fuss about the would a whole lot.

Quote by 33db
Rickholly74
For me, though I don't "know" it for sure, there has to be a difference between alder and pine.
I question how much the wood has to do with tone in a guitar since it is just wire vibrating over a magnet, but in terms of durability and the possibility that the wood does matter I would avoid pine.

search on the tonewood debate. you will find at least a dozen shit storms on here.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
search on the tonewood debate. you will find at least a dozen shit storms on here.

But please for the love of all that is sacred do not necro anything.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
trashedlostfdup
Leo definitely changed the ergonomics of his guitars when he co-founded G&L.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Haha
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

But if you must, have your Necrocondomon.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
But if you must, have your Necrocondomon.

I don't use a necrocondom. just some lube...

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I have a Squier tele and a MIC Fender. Both are P90 versions and as far as quality there's nothing in it. The Squier had a better bridge but I swapped out the bridges on both guitars (Gotoh on one, Hipshot on the other). The pups on the Squier aren't as good as the ones on the Chinese Fender but I swapped out those on both anyway.
All Fenders are made on CNC routers and the necks are finished off on a PLEK machine. So there's no real difference until you get to Custom Shop varieties. If you like P90's I can highly recommend the Chinese Modern Player Thinline. It just needs a better bridge (absolutely love the Hipshot one) and maybe pickups. As far as build quality goes it's as good as any other bolt on guitar. Don't be scared of the MIC tag, CNC levels the playing field.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I'm currently embroiled in a shit storm of my own creation, so yeah... no...
I think you could pretty safely go a rung down from MIM. Classic Vibe Squiers are generally nice for the money. Haven't personally tried the Teles of said range though so
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I think you could pretty safely go a rung down from MIM. Classic Vibe Squiers are generally nice for the money. Haven't personally tried the Teles of said range though so

The main thing I guess, other than the neck and body construction, is will it take a drop in kit from Sigler music.
Are the dimensions the same as the Fender teles, if not then it's a no go.
I think what I will do is wait for a MIM fender tele and upgrade it, the MIM strat I bought plays great, after the drop in sounds great too.
I have an SX Furrian from Rondo with a P90 in the neck, I got it on sale for around $98 and its worth it - does it compete with MIMs I can't say but I can say I like mine. The bridge pickup is a bit weak, and it could use new tuners but other than that it is a very playable and usable guitar.
33db

If I may ask, what is with the fixation in Silver drop in kits?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
33db

If I may ask, what is with the fixation in Silver drop in kits?

You mean Sigler?
I bought a MIM Strat on a whim, I was looking for pickups and I found a reference to "loaded pickguards" after checking out a bunch of sites I decided Sigler appeared to be the one with their shit together, and bought the drop in kit with the Fender Original '57/'62 and high quality pots/switch.

Just wow, what a difference, it made a $200 sound as good as the $1400 guitars I had tried out, the thing plays great, sounds great.
Now I want a tele, and I tend to stick with things that work, so Sigler.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

What does that mean?
Quote by 33db
What does that mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=necrobump

It's considered spam to necrobump dead threads. It's like turning up to a house party to find that the house that originally threw it was demolished 20 years ago. Any thread that hasn't been posted in for over 9 months is generally considered necrobumping on this forum. Please check the date in which the last reply was posted before posting yourself.

If you think a topic that's been talked about long ago is still worth talking about, raise a new thread.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
33db

Yeah...it Autocorrected.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=necrobump

It's considered spam to necrobump dead threads. It's like turning up to a house party to find that the house that originally threw it was demolished 20 years ago. Any thread that hasn't been posted in for over 9 months is generally considered necrobumping on this forum. Please check the date in which the last reply was posted before posting yourself.

If you think a topic that's been talked about long ago is still worth talking about, raise a new thread.

It's good that you pointed that out, I do that, not on purpose mind you, just because I don't check the date.

I am guilty of "necrobumping", and that term sounds disturbing in a variety of ways.
33db Rather than go with one of Rondo's cheap Tellys I'd pay just a bit more and get an Xavier from Guitar Fetish. I am currently looking at one of their Telly's vs a Squire Classic Vibe Telly. TBH I think the Xavier looks better (on paper at least). They make a Butterscotch model that looks almost exactly like one of the Squire models.
My dream is one of these...
https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/the-t/

But scheisse... the cost of it, I may be down in LA later in the week and I think I will check out the music stores and see what I can find.

If anyone's in LA and knows a store that sells used gear for cheap let me know!!!
Quote by SteveHOC

What's your budget, location, preference for pickups, etc.?

I could go as high as $500, but I want to replace the electronics with some top of the line stuff so ideally under $300.
I'm in the US, and I like the single coil sound of the teles.
33db

I just punched in "MIM Telecaster" on Reverb and came up with a couple at or slightly north of the $300 mark. Even for sellers that don't offer the "make and offer function", it's sometimes worth messaging them with a *reasonable* offer. There's one up now for $300 +$50 shipping, you could always ask if he'd be willing to knock $50 off.
OffsetOffset
SteveHOC
I've been looking, nothing has grabbed me yet.
I suspect that the quality of a photo has a large effect on my perception of an item, blurry poorly angled shots put me off what may be a good deal.

Any hoo, I'll wait and see what LA has to offer, or I may go East to Reno and shoot machine guns instead.