I started saving for an archtop acoustic like an Epiphone Masterbilt Century Classic Deluxe. I'm thinking I'm going to wait until one of those hit the used market, but at the same time I started wondering about other brands. I saw that Gretsch has the G100CE that looks pretty good. Does anyone have suggestions for other archtop acoustics in that price range (basically below $900). Thanks!!
What.....you a Trump lover? Afraid of breaking banks, huh?

It sounded so much funnier in my head.

Regarding archtops: no clue here. I'm generally inclined positively to Epiphone, and I've only ever played a couple Gretsch guitars (they were okay).
Heh. No, not really! :-D

Anyway, what about the Godin 5th Avenue kingpin with a P90? I have never seen one in store so I never got to try one, unlike the Epiphone, which I quite liked. What I'd be worried about is whether it'd be a 'true' acoustic (like I feel the Epiphone is), or more of a jazz box if it makes sense...
I guess a D'Angelico EXL-1A would fit the bill too, right? Has anyone here tried one?

But then I was wondering: the EXL-1 seems like it's the same as the EXL-1A, except with a small humbucker, no? Is the presence of the humbucker enough to load the table so much that it's not really considered an acoustic anymore? Or it still is? Or is it more like a jazz box? When do you cross the line from acoustic to jazz guitar really?
Quote by Tony Done
Have a look at Eastman, they have a good reputation.

They certainly look nice! How do their archtops sound acoustically? I mean, can you play it like a regular acoustic, or are they really intended for being plugged in only?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm not familiar with those at all (obviously!)! :-D
Eastman arch tops are really good in my experience. I'd say they fair well either way. You can certainly play them like a normal acoustic. But don't expect normal acoustic tone. Arch tops are a completely different animal.
OK, so here's Bryan Adams doing "Summer of '69" on an almost full depth electric archtop:

And then the (sort of) "acoustic version":

I had a $40.. Harmony archtop back in the "Summer of '69", (or thereabouts). It was a turd, YMMV

(OK, this isn't a serious post, and should only be taken with a grain of your favorite Hcl based compound).
Quote by Silent_Crow13
Eastman arch tops are really good in my experience. I'd say they fair well either way. You can certainly play them like a normal acoustic. But don't expect normal acoustic tone. Arch tops are a completely different animal.

Yeah, I've been messing around with the Epi Masterbilt Deluxe Classic several times at the music store now and I really like it...
Quote by Captaincranky
OK, so here's Bryan Adams doing "Summer of '69" on an almost full depth electric archtop.

What is it, do you know?
Yeah! :-D Although it's been lurking in the back of my mind for a while to be honest. I have an Epi 335 Pro, a resonator, a 12 string acoustic, so I kind of wanted a 'straight' acoustic to have some variety and play some travis picking stuff, but I guess Chet Atkins played a Gretsch so I could do that too! :-P And these G5420T in blue look da bomb!! I wonder how they sound unplugged...
I wouldn't have high expectations for the unplugged sound, I would be more optimistic about an Eastman.

You can Travis pick (I prefer to call it alternating bass, as the technique predates Travis by at least a couple of decades) on anything. . I do it o solidbody electric, among other things, but it tends to turn into sonic mush if you aren't good at string damping, eg me.
Quote by garrett999
I would choose Gretsch, but I found also great Ibanez. Check these two...[ ]...
Epiphone has a myriad of potential choices as well

For example this "Broadway: (for an electric with humbuckers): http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Broadway.aspx
Along with this Masterbilt "Century Zenith Classic": http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Electric/Masterbilt-Zenith-Classic.aspx Which is a full depth jumbo body, but also has their proprietary "eSonic" stereo acoustic electronics. (a piezo with a mag at the neck)
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 4, 2017,
Yeah I was initially going for the Masterbilt series (Deluxe Classic though)...
Nice! Didn't know about that one... I'm being shallow but I wish they had more color options. :-(
Nevermind, just saw the royale. Like a white falcon... wow, and the pickups and push-pull pots and that wire Bigsby... that seems like an awesome guitar, I wish I could try one. I wonder how it sounds unplugged... Epiphone really has some nice stuff! Thanks for the heads up!
Godin makes some good stuff. I've played some at a local shop. Very well made instruments. Seagull is their "mid" level guitar brand, so Godin is better than Seagull. I have a Seagull that is solid as a tank, but I've grown to dislike it's tone (cedar top).

OliveG: I think you'd probably get a good guitar with a Godin, I've not heard anything bad about them. Their necks aren't as slick as Taylors, but they are good instruments.