I have 2 Explorers, I enjoy the feel of the guitar, I bought them used with original pickups. I'm a bedroom player and jam with friends in outdoor areas backyard, garages,small bars. I'd like to have one explorer just be my metal/rock type guitar (I mostly play coheed and Metallica) so I'd like to outfit that one with some barenuckles(I'm open for suggestions on pick ups). The other one I'd like to make a Frankenstein explorer.I actually play more blues and classic guitar on my own (john mayer,bb king ). I was wondering if there was a pick up set up I could add to my experiment with to get a less dark spu d out of it(I know blasphamy). I was wondering what kind of amp would be best for that clean blessed sound with the blues expl. Also what type of amp cobble or set I should have for the other explorer. I my budget is 2-3000.
Re: your blues explorations:

For an amp, the usual blues/jazz/country/rock suspects are going to work fine: most Fenders or Voxes, the Vintage line from Carvin, Peavey Delta Blues 115, Supros and the like on the lower end, Dr Z, Matchless, Tone King and other similar brands on the higher end.* Sky's the limit.

For solid state, check out Quilter. Quality, good tone, reasonable price. (No, they're NOT modeling amps, Yes, they do take pedals well.)

The pickup thing is tricker. While a pair of lower output humbuckers is the obvious choice, you could also get a pair of HB-sized singlecoils- like P90s or Charlie Christians, etc. Or even a HB in the bridge and a HB-sized singlecoil in the neck. I've got guitars with those configurations, each with strengths and weaknesses.

In Bareknuckle's lineup, any of their Vintage or Vintage Hot pickups should work, but stay away from the higher gain ones. Of their HB-sized P90s, I'd look at the Mississippi Queen, Nantucket, or Stockholms.

Brands I'd check out in addition to Bareknuckle: Rio Grande, The Creamery, Vintage Vibe, Railhammer, Lace and Lollar. For an even twangier option, consider the evolved Fillertron style HBs from TV Jones.

Are you going to have coil splitting on your guitar?

* Honestly, though, even though I'm a bedroom player myself, and am considering getting pricier amps, I am unlikely to spend more than $2k on an amp like this.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I agree with dannyalcatraz on the Bareknuckle pickups. They are on the expensive side, but excellent choices. For the kind of budget you're seeing, you should be able to get your amp and pickups and still have $$ left over for Superbowl tickets.

Your amp choices are so wide. I have a Fender and a Mesa Boogie, and to be honest, I prefer my Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special for classic rock and blues, but that's me. Other people might not like it. Its versatility really lends to everything I do from country to pop to rock. Still, if I'm doing a country only gig, the Fender DeVille goes into the car. Dr Z amps are great, but I might lean towards the Matchless. You're playing a classic Gibson guitar so you might look at a Marshall JMP or DSL series. Fender's new Bassbreaker 45 is incredible and very versatile.http://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/bassbreaker-45-combo/2265000000.html. I took one home and played through it for a while, and it was very nice.

My input probably didn't help, since with the previous post and my own, I only added more things to look at, not less. Sorry.

One piece of advice that I would give is: go somewhere with a decent return policy, take the amp home and try it in your environment. If you can, jam with your guys with them. That's where you'll either fall in or out of love with your choice. Lugging it in and out of the car, playing it with the band, and trying to tame it when you're by yourself.
I should also add this, choose the amp first. If you get the one you love with your main Explorer, then you can find the pickups that best work with the rig you have. Otherwise, you're just a dog chasing its tail, because a DR Z might be great for pickups X and a Matchless for B. Then you change pickups and the amps don't respond as well for them. Settle on one, then choose the other. - Just my $0.02, which is worth $0.0025 after taxes and fees.
trying to recap, you need...

1 set of metal pups for the metal/rock
1 set of pick ups for blues/classic rock.
1 amp for blues

are you set on the metal amp?

budget $2000-$3000
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I like the Bassbreaker 45. Came close to getting one recently, but opted for an Orange TH30 because that did a better job of meeting my need for an amp for heavier music.

As for Bareknuckle- as well as Vox, The Creamery and other U.K. Brands- now is a good time to ship for them, what with the £ being depressed a bit, post-Brexit.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I am going to say Rockerverb. I play most of my blues on there and metal too.

as far as pickups go, listen to danny.

I would get a humbucker sized P90 for sure though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz
As for Bareknuckle- as well as Vox, The Creamery and other U.K. Brands- now is a good time to ship for them, what with the £ being depressed a bit, post-Brexit.

I'll 100% agree with you there. The only reason I don't personally play a Vox is that the top end is only aggravated by my playing style. My choice of picks (Duncan Jazz III) and my technique tend to accentuate high tones. Probably comes from that crappy initial rig I owned and learning to play around it in the 70s. Now it's ingrained into the way I play. I can take someone's dark, brooding rig and fill it full of highs that remind you of unicorn farts and pixie dust.
If you're looking for an amp that can cover the cleans, blues, and metal check out the Mesa Roadster. It's basically a 4 Channel 12 Mode mix of a Lonestar, Mark I, and Dual Rectifier. Tons of options and great sounds for all of these styles. You'll have to tweak it a bit but it's worth the learning curve.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
dannyalcatraz
Woah, thanks for the reply I hadn't checked on the responses, as for the coil Splitting I'm willing to experiment with it,but to be honest I don't know anything about it, aside from basic youtube knowledge :/
GoldJim
Hey man all the input helps it gives me options that I can really delve into. Thanks man!
gregs1020
Not set on a metal amp😚...(uhmm my phone did that ,and I could fix it, but I haven't proof read any other of my responses so you get a kissy face.)
So do you want one amp to do it all, or ou want multiple amps? Just want to be clear here.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
aguerr2113
For that budget you can get 1 amp that does all without compromising.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingeethat's what I was thinking nut don't certain amps mesh better with certain pick ups. And if that's not the case what kind of amp would you auggest
a 5150 iii, a tubescreamer clone and a good reverb pedal.
Honestly with your budget, I'm thinking you need to look at Mesa Roadster/RoadKing or a Mark V. In that range, there are a TON of 3/4 channel monsters.

Fryette Sig:X
Marshall JVM
Rhodes/KSR (these are absolute monsters...)
EVH 5150 III as mentioned by Greg

If you want to go for separate amps, then metal amps:
Peavey Invective (new!) or 6505
Mesa Rectifier
Krank Rev or Nineteen80

Really the sky is the limit here, there are a LOT of great metal amps.

Clean:

Fender Twin (if you can find an old blackface, bonus points) with a good overdrive, maybe a Deluxe, a Bassman, etc. Fenders are awesome for the blooz

Marshall 18W-a-like (there are a lot of clones out there for cheaper than an actual Marshall)

There are others, but these would be my top picks.
he still needs pick ups and a cab and whatnot, so i went best bang for buck do it all amp. dementiacaptain

absolutely there are plenty of higher end options from Mesa to Rhodes, etc as listed above.

going in different directions for multiple amps, the fender '63 vibroverb RI gets my nod for cleans above any other amp ever made period, end of discussion.
Quote by gregs1020
he still needs pick ups and a cab and whatnot, so i went best bang for buck do it all amp. dementiacaptain

absolutely there are plenty of higher end options from Mesa to Rhodes, etc as listed above.

going in different directions for multiple amps, the fender '63 vibroverb RI gets my nod for cleans above any other amp ever made period, end of discussion.

Good point. The 5150 III would pretty much nail it all,the way, I'm definitely not knocking that