I've been playing for a little over a year, not too strictly, but recently I've begun playing more consistently and particularly into a lot of the Dethklok stuff. I'm really into the solos and things that are played; much of which involve some sweeps. When practicing these sweeps, it seems like there isn't much progress being made with just playing the sweep repetitively at around half speed. Is there something more than just playing it slowly, or is it more of a disciplinary "nose to the grindstone" type thing that i'm missing?
It's really just practise. Remember you're still a beginner so it will take time. I consider sweeping an easy technique. It's rarely the technique itself that is difficult but instead it's the speed. Speed in itself no matter what context it applies to is an advanced technique.
xenorae it might be just a case of practice, it might not be... that's impossible to say without seeing you play sadly.  Without that all I can tell you is that recording yourself is a very good idea and that you should pay very close attention to what you're doing.

I would also suggest, however, that since you've only been playing a year, there are probably more important things to worry about.  I don't want to be discouraging but chances are that if you're playing Dethklok songs then there are more fundamental things you're not doing very well.

Please keep it up and keep practicing, but also keep in mind that sweeping (for the most part) is actually a pretty niche skill with limited applications in the real world, so there are almost certainly things you should be prioritizing more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've found that it helps if you use certain types of effects/a sock or a band to cover the top of your guitar. It sounds ridiculous, but, it can help cut out the horrible reverb you get when you mess up a sweep. Other than that, practice with a metronome.
Quote by anarchytv23
I've found that it helps if you use certain types of effects/a sock or a band to cover the top of your guitar. It sounds ridiculous, but, it can help cut out the horrible reverb you get when you mess up a sweep.

I would strongly advise against doing this. This is great for a recording environment but for practise is something you definitely shouldn't be doing. It's essentially cheating yourself by masking poor muting technique and giving you a false sense of how good your muting actually is. You'll only be sloppier in the long term if you consistently do this.
vayne92 You're completely correct - I should clarify that I was only ever doing this when recording tracks at a studio when time pressure was on.
And how do you fare when you try to play at full speed? You have to focus on playing clean and then increasing the speed as your comfort improves. It's probably going to take a little while before you're playing Dethklok at full speed (though single position sweeps and trem picking aren't the hardest things, really). Once you are playing clean and comfortable at a tempo, spend just a couple minutes a day pushing the speed beyond your comfort up to the point it falls apart. Don't practice at that tempo, though.