Hey guys,
I'll buy a new guitar in less than a week and I was looking at Les Pauls and PRS guitars.
However, I live in Cologne and the musicstore has an own brand which suprises me with very good specs, not only for the price.
Here's the product website of the guitar that I was looking at: https://www.musicstore.de/en_DE/EUR/Fame-Forum-IV-SD-EG-Emerald-Green-SH4-SH2-PUs/art-GIT0021790-000

It has:
- A flamed maple top (Not a veneer)
- Mahogany body
- glued mahogany neck that is additionally bolted into the body? (At least that's what they show in this video: )
- Made in Poland, Europe. In the same factory as Mayones guitars!!
- Seymour Duncan SH-2 and SH-4 pickups
- Piezo system
- Schaller Hardware (Tuners, strap locks and bridge)
- For a price of 950 euros!! (taxes included)
To me, that looks like an awesome deal and I'll make sure to test it.
Did anyone here ever play one? I kinda doubt it, because most people here probably live in the USA, but it may be worth a try to ask.
Last edited by juvion at Feb 27, 2017,
They're new to me. But if they're made in the same factory as Mayones...could it be they're a subsidiary? Or made in a partnership with them? If so, that would boost my confidence in them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I played a couple and thought they were decent, but i liked the feel of the PRS SE Range a bit more and you can get a used PRS S2 or if you look hard enough a used CE for around that Price

Some of my friends bought some Fame guitars a while back and they all said the Hardware is great, but the electronics are crap (Pots, Switches etc.)
After they switched out the electronics they loved them, but for nearly 1000 Euros I would want good electronics in my guitar.

One of them bought a Guitar with a twisted neck and after he returned it, he got another one with a twisted neck. The third one was fine. Might have been a bad batch of Guitars.

Living in Cologne myself and going to the music store quite often, i wouldn't really trust them on what they are saying as most of them just try to sell you the most expensive stuff they have instead of actually giving you good advice.
The ones that actually giive good advice never recommended Fame/J&D to me. (J&D is a cheap brand like Harley Benton, but with horrendous QC)

Here is a video of how they are supposedly made:

Edit: When you buy a guitar, you should bring it to "Uli's Musik" in Ehrenfeld to get a good setup. Most of the people in the Music Store don't know what they are doing

Edit2: Also take a look at this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1299055
Last edited by WholeLottaPast at Feb 27, 2017,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
They're new to me. But if they're made in the same factory as Mayones...could it be they're a subsidiary? Or made in a partnership with them? If so, that would boost my confidence in them.

I think that they have a partnership, but I'm not sure.

Quote by WholeLottaPast
I played a couple and thought they were decent, but i liked the feel of the PRS SE Range a bit more and you can get a used PRS S2 or if you look hard enough a used CE for around that Price

Some of my friends bought some Fame guitars a while back and they all said the Hardware is great, but the electronics are crap (Pots, Switches etc.)
After they switched out the electronics they loved them, but for nearly 1000 Euros I would want good electronics in my guitar.

Is it expensive/time consuming to switch out the electronics? I never did that to be honest.

One of them bought a Guitar with a twisted neck and after he returned it, he got another one with a twisted neck. The third one was fine. Might have been a bad batch of Guitars.

That isn't excusable imo.. Do you know, when he has purchased the guitar and which model it was ?

Living in Cologne myself and going to the music store quite often, i wouldn't really trust them on what they are saying as most of them just try to sell you the most expensive stuff they have instead of actually giving you good advice.
The ones that actually giive good advice never recommended Fame/J&D to me. (J&D is a cheap brand like Harley Benton, but with horrendous QC)

Yeah, I know about J & D and I'm not really a fan of that cheap stuff..

Here is a video of how they are supposedly made:

Edit: When you buy a guitar, you should bring it to "Uli's Musik" in Ehrenfeld to get a good setup. Most of the people in the Music Store don't know what they are doing

Edit2: Also take a look at this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1299055

The review seems to be pretty good. That's the old model though, at least the pickups are different now.
I'd say that they are better though? I never heard about Schaller pickups before, but SD's kick ass imo.
Do you know how much Uli charges for a setup? Ehrenfeld is pretty close to me.
Is it expensive/time consuming to switch out the electronics? I never did that to be honest.

Doing electronics is usually pretty simple, but i only worked on strats so far. Someone more experienced should chime in here.

That isn't excusable imo.. Do you know, when he has purchased the guitar and which model it was ?

That was around November 2015 and it was the Fame Forum IV SD in yellow. I thought about buying one, but didn't after that

Do you know how much Uli charges for a setup?

Usually when i went there they didn't charge me for a setup, but i also buy most of my strings, picks etc. there.
And the stuff i had to pay for wasn't expensive. It's usually around the prices the Music Store or Thomann would charge.

This is the link to his website http://www.ulis.com/

I'd say that they are better though? I never heard about Schaller pickups before, but SD's kick ass imo.

I thought those SD's were quite dull back then, but that could be because they used shitty electronics, Not sure, if that is possible. As I said I am not an expert on electronics.