Hi All

Ok please bare in mind I am a total newbie to amps so I really need some help on sorting out a valve problem.

I noticed the drive channel wasn't as loud as usual and then there was a hum, a burning smell and now it plays quietly but crackly so I am guessing this is a blown valve, would I be right in thinking this?

If so then which valve will it be that I need to buy a replacement for and if its one of the bigger ones should I be able to replace it myself?

Also when buying replacements are there cheap and expensive makes of valves? I am skint so can't afford to pay loads so if anyone can recommend a shop that sells them reasonably priced that would also be awesome.

Many Thanks in advance if you can help guys!
Looking at the amp from the back, the drive channel position should be the tube 2nd from the right. However if you have had the amp a while/it has the stock tubes, I would go ahead and replace the tube set. You need 3 12AX7's (also called ECC83), and 2 6L6 tubes. The 12AX7's are the small ones, the 6L6 are the big ones.

There are more expensive brands/models of new production tubes but their influence on the sound is often minimal and their construction does not last much longer- many of the more expensive tubes are not really worth the price. I would just buy JJ's throughout the amp. I buy from TubeDepot.com. Maybe buy a Tungsol for V1 (the tube closest to the right) if you would like a touch more brightness from the amp. If you want to buy NOS (never used tubes, but made a long time ago, "new old stock") then you will likely notice changes that are more noticeable and they will also last quite a while- but they can be fairly pricey.

One last thing, if you do end up changing the entire tube set- you need to buy your power tubes matched. Further, if you have a Reissue BD (made after 2004) then you will also need to adjust the bias of the output tubes. That is not a really difficult process, but you do have to work around lethal voltages. And if you are as inexperienced as you say you are, I would suggest you have a tech do it for you and teach you how to do it safely in the future.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 27, 2017,
Brilliant thanks for the replies but I have just tried the amp again today and the drive channel seems to be working again now, how bizarre? Can anyone hazard a guess at what might be wrong? What could the burning smell have been? I have called a local technician who said he will have a look at it but he was very concerned when I mentioned the burning smell, he said he didn't like the sound of it but he would check it out, I just want to make sure I don't get ripped off.

Thanks again
your power tubes are likely fried. let's hope that they didn't take anything out with them. you could have fried a transformer.

For future reference, if you get smoke, turn the fucker off and don't power it up again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks trashed, I can confirm there was no smoke and like I said it is working fine today, weird huh!
Quote by bootcutboy
Thanks trashed, I can confirm there was no smoke and like I said it is working fine today, weird huh!

not that weird. you are on borrowed time. throw new tubes in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/