Hi all,

I am trying to change this song: (Zara Larsson - Lush Life) to a rock/punk type vibe. The only problem is, I am not great with theory and I am unsure how to go about doing it. Ideally, I'd like to play it in Drop D.

If anyone out there could help, that would be great! Thanks!

Well changing something to punk is easy enough; take the chords, make them power chords, play it in whatever key you want, play it fast, and sing the lyrics with relatively little regard for pitch.

Anything more specific than that in terms of sound and an example would be good
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well changing something to punk is easy enough; take the chords, make them power chords, play it in whatever key you want, play it fast, and sing the lyrics with relatively little regard for pitch.

Anything more specific than that in terms of sound and an example would be good

Did you listen to it? I don't think she was worried about singing with regard to pitch either!

OK, joking aside, you want to do this in the style of punk? What part of "theory" and "punk" go together? Are you referring to pop rap punk like Beastie Boys or pop punk rock like Green Day? Punk has as many subgenres as metal, so you should be more specific.

Here's the thing about changing a song from one genre to another, and it's go less to do with theory than with delivery IMHO. You could just play the chords with distortion and be done. Call it punk. Voila, it's punk. Or you can take the lyric and completely redesign the song to fit the mood you're trying to deliver. Take this song:

And then the original:

or

and this one:

Your interpretation should be based on how you feel about the song, and doesn't necessarily have to be close. Take the chords, play them with aggression, change the tempo to meet where you're going, and change the key so your singer can sing it.