Page 1 of 2
Looking to get an overdrive pedal to boost my amp, tighten things up a bit. All I've had are the bad monkey and boss sd1, looking to try something else. Looking forward to see what others prefer.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
What style of music? Budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It's imperative to know what your budget is and what sort of styles you're gong to be using it with.

If you're looking at something like a tubescreamer-style of pedal, then there are hoards of pedals that are derived from it, but come with additional EQ options that make them an awful lot more versatile. Have a look at the MXR Super Badass Modified OD or the Way Huge Green Rhino.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yeah for a TS style boost I really like the Keeley Red Dirt Mini, or the Wampler Tumnus (especially if you run your amp a little bit dirty anyway). For metal check out Misha's Horizon Devices Precision drive - that looks really sweet.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
it's hard to go wrong with a fulldrive 2 mosfet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
from white stripes to immolation. Budget 150 or less.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Bad Monkey is a pretty good start for an OD pedal, amazing value and great OD. I always liked the TS808, pricey though. If I'm honest with your setup I'd save your money for more upmarket amp, OD pedals give incredibly diminishing returns/differences for the price and you don't really have an amp to get the most out of something special.

Id say pop to a guitar shop and give some a try, try to use them through something similar to your amp if you're not looking to upgrade that, since the OD you use and how it will sound/feel will differ massively based on the guitar/amp used and you're definitely going to get more out of an OD from a valve/tube amp.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Feb 28, 2017,
Ehx The glove gives a nice wide range of overdrive tones I use mine quite often for both classic rock/blues and as a boost for modern metal.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
My current favorite pedal for boosting my MESA Single Rec for metal is a Caline Pure Sky which is supposed to be a Timmy knock off, my second favorite is my Tribute Audio Designs - Classy Lady which is a Tube Screamer derivative, with an option for added gain/volume switch and a bass boost switch which is great for taming some of the high end fizz. It depends on the amp as well, the Pure Sky is not my top choice for every amp I have used it with.
Well technically it does have a preamp tube. And sounds really good, I've owned full tube amps. The micro dark sounds really good in comparison to even those. And I've had a bad monkey before, was going to try something different.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
Well technically it does have a preamp tube. And sounds really good, I've owned full tube amps. The micro dark sounds really good in comparison to even those. And I've had a bad monkey before, was going to try something different.

My Marshall AVT150 I had when I was 15 also has a preamp tube, it's marketting nonsense that pretty much does nothing since the bulk of the sound of a valve/tube amp happens with the power amp section, and the bulk of a tube preamp sound happens as a result of each gain stage being powered by a separate tube, not by running a solid state signal through a tube, which is effectively what the hybrids do... All of these hybrid systems ultimately are gimmiks and they don't sound or react the same as valve amps.

This isn't important because of sound preference, it's just that valve amps react differently to OD pedals.. So if you go into a guitar shop and test a pedal through some valve/tube amp and then you buy it and take it home, chances are it's not going to have the same effect and you're being sold a lie. That's why it's important you play through an amp like yours in the shop that you try it, and also why I think honestly your money could be better spent.

At the end of the day OD pedals come in all shapes and sizes and for different prices, but you're usually paying big bucks for subtle differences and if you're also going into a solid state (or hybrid) modelling amp with it you get to the point where you're throwing money at something for nothing. Definitely go to a guitar shop, try to test some pedals through your amp or similar and maybe take your guitar too, at least you know exactly what you're getting then and can be happy.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Have you played either of the orange micro amps? Because I do think they have that sound somewhat.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Feb 28, 2017,
They don't have my amp at gc, so I'm outta luck there.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The toob in the Orange Dark Micro helps somewhat but just compare videos between that and the toob version with the tube power section and you would notice a huge difference. The ss just sounds buzzy...not bad for ss design, Orange are one of the few that are good on their ss designs but still there's harshness that isn't present in the big boy amp.
what amp are you using?

do you want the middy/compressed/tightening thing of a tubescreamer and sd1 (and derivatives), or something with a flatter eq?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by romeozdistress
Looking to get an overdrive pedal to boost my amp, tighten things up a bit. All I've had are the bad monkey and boss sd1, looking to try something else. Looking forward to see what others prefer.

Fulltone OCD hands down.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what amp are you using?

do you want the middy/compressed/tightening thing of a tubescreamer and sd1 (and derivatives), or something with a flatter eq?

Orange micro dark.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^^ does an ocd cut the bass enough? i haven't tried the "real thing", but the (cheaper ) clones I've tried didn't really cut the bass like a tubescreamer. IMO and experience you either want something which already cuts the bass (like a tubescreamer or sd1 or similar) or else something with a bass knob so you can manually do it.

^ I'm not sure how it'd work with the micro dark- I haven't tried that amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by romeozdistress

There are a couple of youtube videos where they demo OD pedals through the Micro Dark, you will have to do a search yourself but the consensus seems to be Micro Dark plays well with OD pedals, Tiny Terror allegedly does not.
I'm getting a micro dark delivered tomorrow so at that time I could tell you how the OCD sounds through it, and a Rat, and an MXR OD.
EDIT: I looked for those videos and my apologies it is the tiny terror they use, not the dark.
Last edited by 33db at Feb 28, 2017,
Dave_Mc
Cut the bass? You mean is it not muddy?
It is fricking beautiful with the amp I use now, tomorrow the Micro Dark arrives, at that time I could tell you what I think of the 2 together.
There is a tone knob, and an LP/HP switch, LP (low peak) keeps the tone of the guitar (tries too) the HP adds bottom.
The MXR and the RAT sound like crap with my strat, OCD is just creamy.
Right now there is only youtube.
Last edited by 33db at Feb 28, 2017,
Quote by Bigbazz
not by running a solid state signal through a tube, which is effectively what the hybrids do...

Isn't that backwards? There's a reason they call it a pre amp.
Quote by 33db
Isn't that backwards? There's a reason they call it a pre amp.

In a proper valve pre-amp there is a valve for every function, and multiple for gain stages on lead channels which means a 2 channel amp with an effects loop will have maybe 4-5 pre-amps valve,1 for the clean channel, 1 for the effects loop and 2-3 for the lead channel depending on gain stages, if it has a reverb tank then that's another valve. For example I have a super simple 1 channel studio amp with no effects loop or anything other than the EQ and it runs on 2 preamp valves.

In a hybrid this is not the case, a preamp valve is placed somewhere in the signal but ultimately most of everything is taken care of by transistors, it just has a preamp somewhere in the signal chain, like I said it's mostly a marketting ploy to make entry level amps look like they offer something extra. Marshall have been doing this since the original "Valvestate" series that came around in the 1990s and then the AVT 2000 series in the 2000s.

Vox did it with their "Valvetronix" modelling amps etc too. I still have my AVT150, it's clearly not designed that you would even replace the preamp Valve like a regular amp because there is no immediate access to it like on a real valve amp (Valvetronix no different here), and indeed the thing still sounds the same 15 years on which is definitely not true for my other valve amps, of which I currently own 3.

But like I said the more important part is actually the power amp anyway, and all of these hybrid amps are running solid state power sections.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by 33db
AY captain, there's a shit storm on the horizon...

I don't mind causing a shitstorm if it's just guys mad that I said something that didn't flatter their equipment choices, people get mad over this all the time and if anything it keeps me entertained. I can't see how this situation can cause a shitstorm though, I've pointed out that entry level hybrid amps with a valve in the preamp section aren't real valve preamps just because they have a valve in the preamp section, or poweramp if we're talking Vox (since they use a preamp valve in the power amp section to the same effect).

And ultimately like I said this isn't about sound preference, OD pedals affect dynamics differently and will sound different in a solid state than with a valve amp, this is true regardless of which sound you prefer.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
I don't mind causing a shitstorm if it's just guys mad that I said something that didn't flatter their equipment choices, people get mad over this all the time and if anything it keeps me entertained. I can't see how this situation can cause a shitstorm though, I've pointed out that entry level hybrid amps with a valve in the preamp section aren't real valve preamps just because they have a valve in the preamp section, or poweramp if we're talking Vox (since they use a preamp valve in the power amp section to the same effect).

And ultimately like I said this isn't about sound preference, OD pedals affect dynamics differently and will sound different in a solid state than with a valve amp, this is true regardless of which sound you prefer.

That was me reminding myself not to get in (another) one, but I am confused by what you said, lets talk just the Micro Dark.
It has a tube pre amp, that feeds into a SS power amp.
What I think you're saying is that the tube portion is a gimmick. and doesn't really do anything, is that right?

For the record, if I like my gear, don't really care what others think in the negative.
Quote by 33db

What I think you're saying is that the tube portion is a gimmick. and doesn't really do anything, is that right?.

I'm saying that is "effectively" the case with most hybrid amps, they sound/react like solid states. Even if something significant is happening with these preamp valves (which regardless of opinion they obviously do something) they don't have the same role within the amp as a traditional valve amp setup, they aren't doing the same tasks in the same way (the Micro Dark included).

What you've actually got is a hybrid pre-amp and a solid state power amp. Nothing wrong with that, some solid state modellers are doing incredible things, but solid states react different dynamically though and if you're testing OD pedals you should always try to test it with your own guitar/amp (or as close to as possible). People can't keep getting offended because you point out facts. Whether you like a sound or not is purely subjective, how an amp is built/designed isn't an opinion though.

This is something that applies to valve amps too, my 5150 is nothing like my Hellcat and in an ideal situation I would use a different OD pedal infront of one than the other, because the amps are dynamically very different and respond to OD pedals differently.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
In a proper valve pre-amp there is a valve for every function, and multiple for gain stages on lead channels which means a 2 channel amp with an effects loop will have maybe 4-5 pre-amps valve,1 for the clean channel, 1 for the effects loop and 2-3 for the lead channel depending on gain stages, if it has a reverb tank then that's another valve. For example I have a super simple 1 channel studio amp with no effects loop or anything other than the EQ and it runs on 2 preamp valves.

In a hybrid this is not the case, a preamp valve is placed somewhere in the signal but ultimately most of everything is taken care of by transistors, it just has a preamp somewhere in the signal chain, like I said it's mostly a marketting ploy to make entry level amps look like they offer something extra. Marshall have been doing this since the original "Valvestate" series that came around in the 1990s and then the AVT 2000 series in the 2000s.

Vox did it with their "Valvetronix" modelling amps etc too. I still have my AVT150, it's clearly not designed that you would even replace the preamp Valve like a regular amp because there is no immediate access to it like on a real valve amp (Valvetronix no different here), and indeed the thing still sounds the same 15 years on which is definitely not true for my other valve amps, of which I currently own 3.

But like I said the more important part is actually the power amp anyway, and all of these hybrid amps are running solid state power sections.

this isn't always the case at all. many 2 channel amps have only 3 tubes in the preamp section. not all hybrids only have one tube that does nothing either. my Legend Rock and Roll 50 has a full tube preamp and yes it has a solid state power section. sounds very tube and that amp was used by ZZ Top to record multiplatinum album Elimanator. a preamp section can be run by 1 tube. yes the marshall and vox amps mentioned really don't use the tube for much but that isn't always the case
again i dont think its far to compare the orange hybrids to those amps, they sound way better, even when you turn on a micro orange you have to wait about 30 seconds for it to kick in like a real tube amp. and they sound pretty damn good. as ive said ive had many full tube amps. so i feel like i know what a good tone sounds like.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
you have to wait about 30 seconds for it to kick in like a real tube amp.

That doesn't mean anything, the same is true for all hybrid amps I've owned/played, including the AVT and Valvetronix examples I used. They have valves inside them, the valves take time to warm up. The AVT150 had 4 channels, the acoustic simulation channel was entirely solid state while the clean/OD channels took time to warm up because they ran through the ECC83 in the preamp.

How good you think an amp sounds is entirely subjective and also quite irrelevant to the point I was making anyway, you can have a great sounding solid state and a bad sounding valve amp and my point still stands. How good the particular amp sounds doesn't matter for that discussion.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
okay cool, so i guess an overdrive would be pointless. guess ill save my money.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress

The Micro Dark is pretty crunchy, an OD might be useful as a jump from clean to crunch like a 2 channel amp.
Personally I think the Micro is pretty fricking cool and I love the sound.
Quote by romeozdistress

Not pointless, I'm just saying I think you could do better with your money than buying an expensive OD pedal to put infront of a budget amp. But it's your money and you know what you want, if you want to make the right choice and not get on the buy/sell treadmill of pedals then get it done right the first time, go to a store where you can try a whole bunch of them with your amp or an amp you plan to own in the near future and buy the one you like most.

But to me at least I would never advise someone in your situation to blow a wad of cash on an OD pedal. To use the Bad Monkey example a lot of high end rigs still have one of them in the chain, despite the fact that it's a super cheap pedal. On the other hand you could spend 10x as much on something more high end and it might not even seem like an improvement. OD pedals are generally slight variations to flavours and those flavours tend to show up more in valve amps just because of the way they react to clipping/distortion.

As I said I like the Ibanez TS808, but that pedal costs as much as a Micro Dark amp and a Bad Monkey OD combined, and you definitely won't hear that difference in price from the pedal.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
most overdrive pedals arent too expensive anyway.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by 33db
The Micro Dark is pretty crunchy, an OD might be useful as a jump from clean to crunch like a 2 channel amp.
Personally I think the Micro is pretty fricking cool and I love the sound.

yeah i like it ALOT, might even like it better than the randall diavlo head i had and that had 3 tubes.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The Bad Monkey is a tone sucker. The Green Rhino is much better.
My favourite OD pedal is actually a modded OD1 made for me by Toyroom effects. It's just an SD1 with a different tone circuit.
If you want a darker sounding pedal, the Soul Food is very good.
You may also want to consider a decent EQ pedal, the MXR 10 band is at the top of the heap for those. It will give you lots of boost with a tailored EQ curve.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 28, 2017,
You could always try Dr No Effects "The Turd", just for shits and giggles.
Quote by 33db
Dave_Mc
Cut the bass? You mean is it not muddy?

yeah that's what i meant.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
The Bad Monkey is a tone sucker. The Green Rhino is much better.
My favourite OD pedal is actually a modded OD1 made for me by Toyroom effects. It's just an SD1 with a different tone circuit.
If you want a darker sounding pedal, the Soul Food is very good.
You may also want to consider a decent EQ pedal, the MXR 10 band is at the top of the heap for those. It will give you lots of boost with a tailored EQ curve.

Listen to this guy.

The Bad Monkey is a very popular pedal because of its price and its versatility over something like a TS9. It does sound good, but the buffer in it is awful. The Green Rhino mkIV is one of the most open and natural sounding overdrive pedals I've ever used. The additional EQ options are in very useful ranges and the sweep of the controls is very wide as well. The pedal itself even looks cool.

And the MXR 10 band is by far the best graphic EQ pedal on the market that's still reasonably priced. Anybody who owns one is left wondering why it took them so long to get one.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Page 1 of 2