Hello, I recently changed the floyd rose on my bridge to an original with an R3 nut, the bridge before and the nut was R3 but this new one sits way higher and messes up the intonation bad. Took it to a local shop they couldn't do anything. May take it to Guitar Center but thats a last resort. What locking nut can I replace for this annoying high nut?
Why does the stock nut need replacing?

Provided the nut isn't stripped and still functions perfectly fine, there's absolutely no reason to replace it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
T00DEEPBLUE It was a Special Nut. I didn't like the nut that well because it has lots of wear on it and the strings spacing slots had grooves on it. Overall didn't stay intune that well because of the wear on it. Thats why it needs replaced. If you can reccomend a nut size that be great but it has to be the same size but lower than the R3 nut.
reliquitband In that case, compare the height of the old nut with the height of the new one. If the new one is significantly taller, than there's your problem.

There are 2 ways of fixing it. Either remove material from the bottom of the new nut with a flat file so it matches the height of the old one. Or filing the nut shelf on the neck to a lower height to accommodate the taller nut.

I would do the former as there's no risk of compromising the strength of the headstock area that way. And if you mess up, the damage you do to the guitar may be irreversible. Even if you accidentally file down the new nut too low, that isn't a problem. Floyd Rose sell locking nut shims which allow you to raise the nut action to compensate. And if you totally FUBAR the new nut, you can just buy another one and try again.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
T00DEEPBLUE I tried both, I was able to take away a little from the neck. But I didn't want to file the actual nut that much. I'd like to replace the nut itself now. I just need a size, I'm thinking R8. But I dunno if that will be good enough because it is .5 millimeters lower than the R3 nut. But if guitar center can fix this problem hell I'll go to guitar center and spend whole lot of money.
reliquitband If an R8 nut has the correct width and string spacing, but it's a little too low in overall height, then buy it.

Like I said, Floyd Rose sell locking nut shims to raise the height of the nut to the action you want.
Quote by TheSennaj
reliquitband
It depends on how different it is. If it's only a very marginal difference, aside from the difference it'll make to how the guitar feels on the first few frets of the neck, there's nothing objectively stopping you from using it. The guitar will still play fine. But try and use a locking nut with the correct string spacing if at all possible.

Send an email to Floyd Rose and ask what locking nut size they would suggest.
Quote by TheSennaj
reliquitband  I think the best option would just be to file down the bottom of the new nut you've bought to the height you need and be done with it. Just get a flat file that's large enough to cover the entire footprint of the locking nut and file it down while applying even pressure. A faster and more convenient way still is to use a belt sander to achieve the same thing.

While it would be nice if you didn't have to do it, it's not exactly a huge deal either.

I don't think guitar center are going to be able to make a better recommendation than what I have made to be honest.

The competence of the staff at guitar center when it comes to repairs is all over the map. Some staff are totally clueless, some are okay. I personally wouldn't trust them with my guitars at the risk they'll screw something up.
Quote by TheSennaj
guitarkid8 It's a European guitar company called J&D Guitars (Jerry and Denny I think) and i cannot find any information of this guitar online no information at all
guitarkid8 Got it at G# guitars who said they got it at NAMM, can't remember what year tho but the floyd rose system was a lil old and when i got it and cleaned it the nut was very crusty with a clear/white thing on it
I had this same issue when I swapped the licensed trem for an OFR on my 93 Jackson the Floyd nut was considerably taller I opted to just stick with the Jackson nut. Avoid Guitar Center for work like this I have never used GC for any tech work but their reputation is less than stellar, if you are in over your head you need to seek a reputable tech instead.

I'm going with T00DEEPBLUE on this one, filing the nut is your best bet if you wreck it just but another at least you don't risk compromising the integrity of the guitar itself.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge