Page 1 of 2
I'm honestly embarrassed to admit that in my 22 years of playing guitar, I'm just now getting into OD pedals.

I was always anti-OD due to nothing more than my own stubbornness and ignorance.

I've never really been an FX guy, a little reverb here, a little flanger there. So I've used a BOSS ME-50 for the last few years as it suited me well for what I needed. I've recently discovered the greatness that is Clean Boost. But I have some issues with it.

Now I only have the few ODs that are built into the ME-50 which are obviously BOSS. The only one on it I really like in front of my a high gain amps is the OD-1. The problem is, with Gain on 0, Bottom on 5, and Tone & Level maxed I get horrible squealing / feedback anytime I'm not playing a note. This obviously lessens the more I turn the tone or level down but when I get to that point its basically worthless.

I've tried turning my gain down on the amps, this also works but only at a point that the gain is very low. I've tried playing across the house as my guitar studio is 12 x 12, this too lowers it but not very much at all.

Is it just a sh*t pedal, especially being one built into a multiFX, or should I run a NG in the loop? I love the sound of my amps without it, but the boost just makes me love it a bit more, so I'd like to explore it further but not at the expense of noise.
Last edited by Xander_X at Feb 28, 2017,
I've never cared for multi-fx od\dist. Or to much amp modeling gain for that matter. I never drive my POD that much. My Superplextortion will always be my go to drive pedal. Check out some YouTube videos and it will give you some idea of what kind your looking for. There is a lot to chose from.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I just want to tighten up and boost the high mids of the gain channels on my amps.

I dont like modeling either. I only buy amps that give me more gain than I can use without pedals. I never actually researched OD pedals thus my ignorance. I always though they were just another form of distortion pedal. I'm only now realizing that most people use them to haut tighten it up a bit.
There are things MFX pedals do well. IMHO, clean boost/OD isn't really one of them.

What kind of stuff do you want to play that might benefit from a boost or OD?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz

The stuff I found benefits the most from the clean boost is Thrash. But hair metal also gets a nice kick in the ass too.

Wouldn't want it for classic rock.
Depends on what you're doing. I know a lot of classic rock, new wave, jazz, blues & country axe-slingers use a clean boost to lift their guitar out of the mix a bit when doing a solo, for instance. Especially in a multi-guitar band.

Others just want the kind of result you're describing: a "better", richer version of their own tone without having to push the amp to bejesus.

That said, though, they don't always use the same KINDS of OD pedals.

Andy Summers, for instance, uses two original Klon Centwurs. Not cheap. And definitely one of the more highly valued pedals of this kind, having nearly as many knockoffs as the Ibanez Tube Screamer pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

pick up a fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet. $80 used if you look, and they are quite versatile.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You are being broad speaking about MFX overdrives. The ones in my GT100 are crap but the ones in my Amplifire are excellent.

Take a look at the Green Rhino. It is basically a Tubescreamer with more tone controls.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard

Me? Sure. I admit I've not had a bunch of playtime with the current cream of the crop. I have no doubt they're better at everything compared to the vast majority of MFX pedals. Even the one I really like!

Yeah, the only thing the GT100 is better at is having more buttons.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

I agree that many MFX pedals, like the ME-50 I use, are sub par at best as far as FX. I just don't use them enough to justify boutique pedals.

But I'm open to picking up a better OD if that's what's causing my accesive feedback
run quickly and don't look back. once you get into overdrives it becomes a bottomless pit that you'll never escape
I won't agree with Cathbard on this, if you use the GT-100 you have to disable ton of stuff (all cab and amp modeling, noise gates, etc.) to just get OD pedals but once you're there it is similar to the real thing which is Boss ODs. There's one called "Blues" that works good for me, I use it in front of my PSA-1, as much noise as you'd expect from similar OD pedal.

OP - not sure what to recommend there, I think you're just maxing your input too much. Make sure you have the rest of the effects disabled, it could be the master volume on the multifx that is too hot as well.

It won't hurt to try OD pedal, I swear by the Voodoolabs Sparkle Drive.
diabolical

I don't have any other effects on. I rarely use effects at all, much less in conjunction with each other. I do however have the MFX master all the way up. I'll try turning that down and the post up on the amp. Other than that, I guess I'll just have to try some other pedals.
Xander_X, every amp will take pedals differently, and obviously, you'll want to get the right pedal for you. Like trashedlostfdup, I use a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, but I also have a Mesa Boogie Lonestar and I'm usually going for a classic crunch before the notes start to get fuzzy. Here's something that might help you a little as far as direction when finding the pedal that will work in your situation.

GoldJim

Thanks. I'll take a look at those videos after work. I do realize that each amp is going to have a different take. I have over two decades of experience with a lot of different equipment, pedals were just something I never cared to experiment with much as the types of music I've always played didn't call for much. I did notice that the one I was using through my MFX does the same thing with all my amps, tube or SS, if they're on a gain channel.
Xander_X, I know what you mean. When I started playing, pedals were out there, but they really weren't used all that much. Heck, electrics were still looked down on in some guitar communities by purists. I didn't get my first pedal until 10 years later and I had a choice between a BOSS DS 1 or a BOSS DS 1 with my budget. Guess which one I chose. Today, I think we've got too many choices. Xotic makes a great OD, but so does Fulltone. You have the Fulldrive series, but they also have the OCD, which is ANOTHER great chioce! Wampler has so many that it's almost silly. They are excellent pedals, don't get me wrong, and he provides the buyer with many choices, but it can be overwhelming. Then there's Earthquaker, and they make killer stuff too. I'm sure you'll find the right tool for the job!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
pick up a fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet. $80 used if you look, and they are quite versatile.

Are you running that at 18v?
There are many ODs I could recommend, but for brevity's sake, I'll recommend the ThorpyFX Gunshot (high gain) and Peacekeeper (low gain):

https://thorpyfx.com/collections/thorpyfx-pedals

Quote by 33db
Are you running that at 18v?

nope 9v. strictly for power supply reasons though TBH.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope 9v. strictly for power supply reasons though TBH.

I ran that OCD on a 9v when I first got it, then the Fulltone 18v wall wart showed up and there is a noticeable difference, better IMO.
Quote by 33db
I ran that OCD on a 9v when I first got it, then the Fulltone 18v wall wart showed up and there is a noticeable difference, better IMO.

I hated my OCD regardless
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I hated my OCD regardless

I feel that way about the MXR il torino, which now I think may be Italian for "sucker".
So went on my lunch to both of the music stores in town. Needed a 6 - 10ft speaker cable anyways. Both stores were sold out of 6ft and 10 ft cables. One store had a couple 808 clones but no high gain tube amps to test it on. The other had high gain tube amps, but didn't have either of the only quality ODs they carry in stock (808 and TS9). So that was a bust .... I'll make a trip out to GC this weekend.
what amp are you using?

you can overthink this- for thrash and hair metal i'd probably just use a boss sd1.

actually i usually use a timmy on all the time as it's not as middy. but the sd1 for solos.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My primary amp is a Peavey 6505+. But I also use a XXX, Randall Diavlo RD100h, RT503, and RG1003h.

So I really like to test stuff out using high gain amps along with higher end guitars with hot aggressive pups. Basically I try to recreate a similar environment to home
Quote by Xander_X
My primary amp is a Peavey 6505+. But I also use a XXX, Randall Diavlo RD100h, RT503, and RG1003h.

So I really like to test stuff out using high gain amps along with higher end guitars with hot aggressive pups. Basically I try to recreate a similar environment to home

always a good idea your own amp is best but if not possible then something really similar is a good idea. i tend toward Tubescreamer type ODs myself as they seem to get along with most amps. as i mentioned ODs are a slippery slope and there are so many freakin options it's unbelievable. did you notice how many different answers you got? i currently own 3 overdrives and am always on the look out for more.
HOT pups and those uber high gain amps honestly don't warrant any overdrives. Even some mid gain amps like my JCM900 my X2N pickup acted like a booster, so I wonder if you really need an OD. Maybe to change lead voicing (which could possibly be done better with eq pedal in fx loop IMO) but I doubt for anything else.
I tried a Maxon OD808 into a Peavey 6505+ once and it blew me away with how good it sounded, I would recommend looking into that.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
I tried a Maxon OD808 into a Peavey 6505+ once and it blew me away with how good it sounded, I would recommend looking into that.

That's actually one of my top choices, from my research.
Quote by diabolical
HOT pups and those uber high gain amps honestly don't warrant any overdrives. Even some mid gain amps like my JCM900 my X2N pickup acted like a booster, so I wonder if you really need an OD. Maybe to change lead voicing (which could possibly be done better with eq pedal in fx loop IMO) but I doubt for anything else.

You may be correct that an EQ may suit me better. However I rather like the sound of my 6505+ boosted, its just the feedback of the one built into my MFX is too bad to use it.
Well, experiment with some OD boxes, I wouldn't give up on the ME-50 just yet, play with volume levels, different ampunt of crunch on your 6505 settings and different amount of gain and overall volume on the ME-50. Play around with the "Tone Modify" as well.

Are you disabling all the other effects?

I'd say that the 6505 and TS is the most popular option so start from there.
You may have said this already, but where is your amp gain set when boosting with your ME-50? Because even if you're using it as a "clean" boost, you're still adding gain to the circuit, and you'll have to reduce your amp gain so that it doesn't push it over the top and lead to uncontrollable feedback. You may also need to reduce the "level" setting on your OD from max. Most OD pedals can be run with the level at max/gain at zero, but it's possible that yours gives it extra juice.

On my 6505s, when boosted by either an Ibanez TS-9 or my MXR Custom Modified Badass OD, I run the lead channel gain at 3 and the green channel w/ crunch engaged at 6 or 7 for pretty saturated tone on either channel, but controllable feedback. I don't really use my noise gate to control feedback because I think that much feedback is an indicator of too much gain. My tone naturally feeds back if I let a note ring out and stand in a certain place -- which is the way I like it.

FWIW, I've owned a TS-9 and that MXR I mentioned and I VASTLY preferred the MXR to the tubescreamer, which is why I still have the MXR. When you said "thrash" I immediately thought "he needs either a Boss SD-1 or even better, the MXR I have." The MXR is a glorified SD-1 with additional controls over bass boost/cut and a "bump" switch that shifts the whole EQ range downward to emphasis a bit more bottom end and lower mids, which is nice on really bright guitars or pickups, or on amps that are overly bright and trebly. Finally, that pedal adds a certain touch of "grind" in the upper mids that is missing from your typical Tubescreamer tone. I found that highly desirable for the thrash, death, and black metal I play.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
If you actually want the bass destroying tone of a tubescreamer (and a lot of people do) don't forget the Ibanez Mini TS808. It's the same circuitry as the full sized version but done in surface mount technology and no battery. They're tiny and very cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Xander_X, something I thought would be worth mentioning is that you might try a simple boost pedal. It won't color your sound and will simply push the front end a little more. They don't come simpler than the TC Electronics Rush Booster. I used one for a couple weeks, and though I didn't need it outside that project, it was definitely everything they said it was. In the front end of my Mesa Boogie, the Rush could push my clean channel into overdrive. I wound up using it in my effects loop as a simple clean boost to accentuate single note lines. For $60 it's worth throwing in the mix and seeing if a boost is really all you need.

Good luck! With so many options, you certainly have your plate full.
Quote by Xander_X
That's actually one of my top choices, from my research.

just bear in mind the maxon od808 is actually a ts10, not a ts808. and i think it might have half-assed bypass, too.

personally i think there are probably better options (maybe even the maxon od9, but you don't have to go to that price to get something good).

EDIT: and yeah with that range of amps you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and take a chance on something- it's unlikely you'd get to try od pedals with all of those amps in a shop. but a regular tubescreamer or clone is likely to be a fairly safe bet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 2, 2017,
Dave_Mc

Exactly, I just look for an amp that is similar enough in style ... high-gain tube ... and then grab a guitar that's higher end with hot pick ups. Usually I have to settle for Schecter with EMGs, even though I really don't like Schecters. Shops around here either have low end "Metal" oriented guitars or Fender's/Gibson's as my choices. So I usually have to hope they have something decent in their used bunch.

I tried out a reverb pedal the other at GC. They sat me down at a station with some really horrible sounding half-assed modeling Fender amp with an 8" speaker, and some really low end Epi. I gave up after 5 min messing around trying to get a good base tone out of it.
yeah i sometimes wonder if they want to make any sales at all
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2