So Ive been playing electric for over 20 years now, over those years I've played mostly rock, hard rock etc, on several guitars to experience different sounds. I've recently bought my first acoustic (got a hummingbird) and now I'm looking for some nice easy, recognizable acoustic songs that I can learn. Any ideas?
Quote by dazm
So Ive been playing electric for over 20 years now, over those years I've played mostly rock, hard rock etc, on several guitars to experience different sounds. I've recently bought my first acoustic (got a hummingbird) and now I'm looking for some nice easy, recognizable acoustic songs that I can learn. Any ideas?

There are a wealth of early Who, Beatles, and Rolling Stones songs which were either recorded using acoustics, (certainly with an acoustic as guitar #1), or translate very well to acoustic songs.

The Who, "Substitute", practically all of "Tommy" particularly "Pinball Wizard". Later, "Behind Blue Eyes".

The Beatles, "Norwegian Wood", along with most of their early material. "Blackbird" seems to be popular, although I don't play it. The 12 string "You've got to Hide Your Love Away", is easy, and has a very singable, well under an octave melody.

The Rolling Stones
, Brian Jones was very into acoustic instrumentation. Some gems from his collaborations, "Play With Fire", "Lady Jane", "Get off My Cloud" is fun if you're going to sing it. Later on, some of the songs from their "Beggar's Banquet" album work acoustically. Please don't forget, "Dead Flowers", from "Sticky Fingers", along with, "Honky Tonk Woman", which they also do an acoustic version, "Country Honk". Another true classic of theirs would be "Wild Horses", superb!

Jackson Browne's catalog has plenty of opportunities.

The Byrds interpretations of Bob Dylan's "Chimes of Freedom", "My Back Pages", and Mr. Tambourine Man", along with "Turn, Turn, Turn", all work on acoustic.. (I'm thoroughly sick and tired of, "Blowing on the Wind".).

Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl", is a 4 chord strum up a storm masterpiece.

Bryan Adams'
"Summer of '69", and a couple of others work as well.

Country rock with Martina McBride's "Independence Day", along with Garth Brooks' "Beaches of Cheyenne", are , (as you might expect), cowboy chord anthems..

(Keep in mind I'm really old, so take that into consideration as you peruse this list).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 19, 2017,
Geez, there's thousands. The latest one I've learned is now one of my favorites to play. It has an easy-ish short but brilliant solo that you can throw in, and well...it's a classic! Pink Floyd - Wish you were Here. Marty has some great tutorials for it on youtube. Not quite a beginner but should be a piece a cake since you've been playing electric for 20 years.
Two last songs I've learned are both a lot of fun and upbeat.. I'm still standing by Elton John, and only he good die young by Billy Joel.. Prince's little red corvette I think will be my next one