Hello!
So, after hours and hours of reading forums, reviews, and asking POD-users I made a decision to buy Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm version for playing, mastering guitar and listening music. After a week of waiting, I get these headphones, and.... after first attachment It was terrible for me, the high frequencies is made my ears bleed... it was like there was no other freq at all.. after an hour of working at it, I get an optimal distorted sound for my guitar, but:
1) there is still much HF, much "SSSSS" at high Master-volume position;
2) If the guitar is can be equalized, music from PC or social media can't, so there is STILL horrible HF sound comes.

Any ideas how can it be fixed? I'm pretty surprised that 200$ headphones sound worse than 30$ ones.
btw, global EQ settings are:
Low Cut: 20Hz
Low: 150Hz
Mid: 1.8KHz
High: 8.0KHz
High Cut: 20Khz

All Qs are 0.7
All Gains are 0.0dB

Thanks for responses! P. S. Sorry for mistakes, English is not my native language
Do you have a cabinet emulation on in the Pod, or just amp emulation? Without cab emulation the distortion will be a high pitched ear piercing fizz, much line white noise.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Yeah burn-in is recommended with all new headphones. Put on some music (maybe few minutes if pink noise mixed in) and play it relatively loud (dont overdo it though) on repeat for 24 hours straight and the frequency response balances out a bit. But if the sound is literally unbearable white noise-like fizz my first thought was that maybe you had forgotten to turn on cabinet emulation for the amplifier. DT770 does have prominent treble and bass, with mids slightly recessed but I dont remember them being unbearably bright or anything. It has been many years since I had one though.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 1, 2017,
MaaZeus gonna do it a bit later and post a comment after tomorrow. BUT! There is still this problem:"music from PC or social media can't, so there is STILL horrible HF sound comes."
so I mean that, for example, any high-hats or snares are sound noisy as _____.
Cymbals and S letter are sibilant? Then burn in will reduce that somewhat. Though Beyerdynamics do tend to have a noticeable spike in 10khz region and they are known to be more sibilant than, say, Sennheiser which usually prefer more warm sounding headphones. If burn-in does not help enough then switch of brands may be in order.

So bass heavy music and some pink noise on repeat and relatively loud volume for day or two straight and then listen them again.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 1, 2017,
If you music player through computer has a graphic EQ you can try taking the 10khz down a couple of notches and see if it helps. But I'm not sure its worth spending money on external EQ just for this headphone.

I also have a nagging feeling that something maybe wrong with the headhone itself. Because you say the high frequencies are so strong that its like there is no other frequencies at all, when DT770 is known for its BASS. Bass that goes deep and has good sense of body.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 3, 2017,
Quote by MaaZeus
If you music player through computer has a graphic EQ you can try taking the 10khz down a couple of notches and see if it helps. But I'm not sure its worth spending money on external EQ just for this headphone.

I also have a nagging feeling that something maybe wrong with the headhone itself. Because you say the high frequencies are so strong that its like there is no other frequencies at all, when DT770 is known for its BASS. Bass that goes deep and has good sense of body.

Can u give me some advice about external EQ's? It's software, isn't it?
And...how can I check these "wrong things" with my headphones? It makes me sad a lot :
No, with external EQ I actually mean a device that you put between your headphones and amplifier. But most music players (like WinAmp or Foobar2000) have their own built in software EQ so you should not need one.

Unless you have a dummyhead and can measure headphone frequency responses you cannot really check it scientifically if something is wrong, you can only trust your ears. I am not there so I cannot listen to your headphones myself. At best I can give hints and pointers based on what you write. If the headphone really sounds like shit you have to send it back and try another one or chance brands.

Question. What you are listening the music with? Do you have a headphone amplifier?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
No, with external EQ I actually mean a device that you put between your headphones and amplifier. But most music players (like WinAmp or Foobar2000) have their own built in software EQ so you should not need one.

Unless you have a dummyhead and can measure headphone frequency responses you cannot really check it scientifically if something is wrong, you can only trust your ears. I am not there so I cannot listen to your headphones myself. At best I can give hints and pointers based on what you write. If the headphone really sounds like shit you have to send it back and try another one or chance brands.

Question. What you are listening the music with? Do you have a headphone amplifier?

Gonna try external EQ, if burn-in doesn't help.
Answering your question, for some new stuff I use online services, and then WinAmp (btw pushing 10-12k down helps a bit, but I still expect better sound). And no, now I don't have any external amp for headphones
nightfall1808

Lack of good amplification may also be the case. These 250ohm headphones are not something you can easily drive through by soundcard or mobile device. Even if you can get it loud enough it may lack body. But I digress. Again, I would not bother with external EQ. It wont do anything the software EQ in your music player wont do, except you can use it with Pod too. But if the headphones are not to your liking, return them and try Sennheiser, Shure or AKG, and preferably something with low impedance.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 3, 2017,
MaaZeus
Thank's for ur response, gonna do smth with equalization and burn-in and then gonna think about return.
btw I find them extremely comfortable, but ok, it's not the 1st point.