Ok so I have been buying a good amount of gear for a relative noobian lately. I have a Zoom G3x coming today, and was wondering how I might set it up. I was thinking maybe I put the Zoom in my FX loop. Leave the other stuff relatively the same, or take the morley wah out. How should I arrange my items?

I have :
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro (only thing I've had a long time)
Marshall DSL40c
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DS-1
Old Morley Wah a co worker gave me.

My existing setup is

Guitar->Morley Wah->DS-1->Badmonkey->Front of amp.

---

More info :

I bought the DSL40c used, I bought an aftermarket footswitch to handle channel/reverb on/off duties. Though I myself can recognize there is barely any reverb. Morley kind of looks like a Bad Horsie, but it's 20 years old and doesn't really say anything other than Morley on it. Fast medal is a little hard for me. So while I try and play some stuff like Metallica, I also play stuff like Hotel California, All Along the Watchtower, some Led Zeppelin stuff.

My OD and Distortion pedals I bought off ebay recently. I was torn between just buying a multifx or pedals. I was kind of relieved after buying a couple of pedals, that a lot of people seems to suggest the MultiFx arent great at exactly the type of thing I bought regular pedals for. So I can kind of toy with either the "real" ones or the digital, and leave exploring all the other stuff, that I probably understand even less (flanger etc) to the MultiFX. I don't know. Figured I could just fool around, but might learn more talking about it a bit.

Thanks!
Last edited by texuspete00 at Mar 1, 2017,
Looks decent for a new player!

I personally don't like the OD, Distortion and Fuzz effects from most MFX devices. They can do te other stuff just fine, but the Kingdom of Dirt is still ruled by normal pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I put my OD first in the chain, then POD, H2O, EQ to front, but mix and match see what works for you. I don't use the od\dist much either or even drive the amp models that much. But that's based on the XTLive I haven't messed with the HD enough to know how much that will change . the HD is a lot better then the XTLive.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
use the wah and overdrive up front. put the MFX in the loop and use it for time based fx.
Fx loop for time effects, the rest of your stuff looks good. Some multifx can be set in a 4 cable functionality where you have front and fx loop chains, butI don't think the Zoom is one of these as the multifx unit needs to have a send/receive loop.
texuspete00 Looks great. I would maybe look into in swapping out the Bad Monkey soon when you have the extra $, there are other Tubescreamer clones that will do a better job for you. Also maybe look into getting your guitar professionally set up. After that you would be set.

I run my G3 through the effects loop for time based effects and some EQ. So delay, reverb, etc. You can use chorus, flange, phaser, etc. too. I do not use it for dirt pedals because as others have said, digital dirt is usually not as good as analog dirt. So analog dirt pedals to the front, and the MFX in the loop.
I have the G3 in my loop for modulations & delays when gigging etc, it's brilliant for that.
It's also brilliant as a standalone headphone practice tool, or for DI to a PA with it's amp sims.

As a drive pedal to go in front of an amp, it's not so great. It's drive effects are designed to work with it's amp sims, they don't have the same effect on a real amp.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the help guys. So due to my dunce-ness I'll need an extra cord to use the FX loop. I only have one more cord. I'll go Guitar->Wah->DS1->BadMonkey->Front of amp. Then put the Zoom in the FX loop. For now I put the Zoom in between the Bad Monkey and the front of the amp. That sounds like the best approach, with the given cabling, by what you guys have said. Off to the music store tommorrow. Guess it's just one day, but if I'm understanding, this is best in this scenario (good to know I'm thinking clearly).
Quote by texuspete00
Thanks for the help guys. So due to my dunce-ness I'll need an extra cord to use the FX loop. I only have one more cord. I'll go Guitar->Wah->DS1->BadMonkey->Front of amp. Then put the Zoom in the FX loop. For now I put the Zoom in between the Bad Monkey and the front of the amp. That sounds like the best approach, with the given cabling, by what you guys have said. Off to the music store tommorrow. Guess it's just one day, but if I'm understanding, this is best in this scenario (good to know I'm thinking clearly).

Into a DSL30 right? You might want to look at a noise gate while you're at the music store. Those two dirt pedals up front will add some noise in the Marshall even when off. Especially on the amp high gain setting.

Other than that, it all looks good. Put that Zoom in the loop as soon as you have the cables. Mine is there and I like it there.