I have 2 pedal boards and I really enjoy playing the ProCo You Dirty Rat that I decided I need to have a fuzz even on my smaller board. So I went in the store and got Electro Harmonix NYC Big Muff Pi. I took the pedal home and I am very disappointed, the Big Muff changes the attack of the notes too much that I am not liking. It also feels that it is way too driven compared to the Rat.

Can you suggest a Fuzz that sounds/reacts similar to the You Dirty Rat, as these are no longer imported here?
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Mar 1, 2017,
i'm not sure i've tried the dirty rat, but if it's similar to a regular rat (or at least my mooer clone), maybe you just don't like fuzz? i'd call a rat a fuzzy distortion, but at least at lower settings it's more of a distortion (or even an overdrive).

if you want less gain than a muff though a fuzz face style fuzz might be worth a try.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if a big muff is to much then you could be in trouble. a RAT isn't a fuzz pedal it a distortion pedal which isn't the same thing. Fuzz is an effect that takes over your sound so as Dave said perhaps not for you.
Quote by Grawgos

interesting pedals. i guess as i said before i don't think of a RAT as a fuzz pedal at least in the traditional way. the first 2 had a fuzzy edge to them at higher settings.
Quote by monwobobbo
interesting pedals. i guess as i said before i don't think of a RAT as a fuzz pedal at least in the traditional way. the first 2 had a fuzzy edge to them at higher settings.

I don't considerate it fuzz either. I think it's more fuzzstortion. It has a little fuzzy edge to it, but it's more distortion.
I had such fuzzes to show you...

But since the pedal you seek to emulate is more of a distortion pedal. I bring you the Visual Sound Son of Hyde (the distortion circuit from their Jekyll & Hyde V2):

They don't make them anymore, but they're not uncommon on the used market, and are well made, so a used one in decent condition should still be quite dependable.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have the same problem you do. In the end I decided I don't like fuzz. My distortion pedal can cover those needs without being so rude about it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I have the same problem you do. In the end I decided I don't like fuzz. My distortion pedal can cover those needs without being so rude about it.

Skreddy Lunar Module  

The LM is a great fuzz for people who don't like rude or unpredictable fuzzes, though. I don't know if it sounds like a Dirty Rat (never played one) but it's worth a look if OP is looking for a fuzz that can act like a distortion. 
Actually the Lunar Module is a bit over the top for me. Bought it for early Gilmour stuff, but ended up liking the Wampler for all era's of Floyd better. Over the years I've probably spent about $400 to find out I don't like fuzz.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
It could be that I don't like fuzz. The you dirty rat is a bit more compressed and overdriven rat. It sounds also smoother with less high end fizzyness. It's not that the big muff is bad, but the rat is way better. Even my wife noticed that the rat sounds better within a minute of hearing either.

I set the rat at about 3 o'clock, and it is there as I tend to pair it up with a compressor that has the output set high so there is actually more gain going into the rat.

If you could suggest something more easily available as I have a limited access to pedals here in Malta.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure i've tried the dirty rat, but if it's similar to a regular rat (or at least my mooer clone), maybe you just don't like fuzz? i'd call a rat a fuzzy distortion, but at least at lower settings it's more of a distortion (or even an overdrive).

if you want less gain than a muff though a fuzz face style fuzz might be worth a try.

I was thinking the same, I will demo a fuzz face.
Quote by scott58

What is your distortion pedal?
Quote by scott58
Actually the Lunar Module is a bit over the top for me. Bought it for early Gilmour stuff, but ended up liking the Wampler for all era's of Floyd better. Over the years I've probably spent about $400 to find out I don't like fuzz.

I try to sound similar to Pink Floyd with the rat. I use it almost exclusively for lead playing. I tend to like the Dark Side, WYWH and Animals era. I know that it is most of the time a fuzz face but I do not play as a cover band, just like the tone and try to get something similar not necessarily try to replicate it. Which Wampler do you like?
Wampler Super plextortion. My favorite pedal. Hard to come by these days.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
The Lunar Module is a fuzz face with some extra gain stages and controls. The mini deluxe version has a range control that lets you adjust the extra input stage so you can end up with just a fuzz face if you want. I don't know which version scott58 has but the original is indeed more aggressive and fuzzy since you can't back off that gain stage.

Not to push it too hard but if you like that Floyd era and want a fuzz you can play like a distortion, and maybe something like a fuzz face, the Lunar Module is exactly that pedal. The range and body controls make it super versatile as any sort of general purpose fuzz/distortion.
I've got the original Lunar Module, 07-08 maybe.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Have you messed with the trimpots? You can tame the pedal quite a lot by lowering the range (pre-gain) control, default is at about 3 o'clock but I keep the range at 10 o'clock or (usually) lower, almost off completely. I definitely agree that the original spec comes on pretty strong.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail but I love the mini-deluxe version of the Lunar Module and I think it's worth considering here, and worth considering for a lot of the "don't quite love fuzzes but want crunchy fuzzy distortion" crowd. Lots of good stuff in this box.
I haven't played with You dirty rat, but you should check out Black Arts Toneworks' Pharaoh fuzz. It has become my favourite "distortion" and it's very versatile. There's 3 modes: silicone, germanium and no diodes, plus a high/low input switch. Works with bass too. I wouldn't part with it!
Music is the way.
DoD Carcosa Fuzz.. I'm planning to get it.. but dunno if it's better than Way Huge Swollen Pickle (which i own)

DOD Carcoza

Way Huge Swollen Pickle
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
While I managed to tame the Big Muff Pi by having a Dynacomp into a Blues Driver into the Muff, I shall be looking for another pedal that are easier to use. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I shall demo all of which I can find locally.