Hi, guys! I've got an Epiphone les paul 100 and my amp is Kustom KG1. I was playing it the other day, when I switch to treble mode on the guitar the sound from the amp goes off but on the clean and rhythm mode, it is perfectly fine. I don't understand what is going on, could it be because of the cable?
Probably the switch. If you get some contact cleaner, spray it in there and work the switch back and forth a couple times that might clear it, otherwise one of the contacts might be bent out of place slightly in which case you might have to open up the back and just push them together a tad, or get someone at a shop to do it if you don't feel comfortable with that. If it's either of those things (which it generally is) then they shouldn't charge you - it barely even counts as a job. If neither of those does it, then probably you've got a loose contact within the guitar, along the bridge (treble) pickup's cable somewhere or something grounding (which would be worth getting someone who knows what they're doing to look at). It won't be the output cable, though; that would affect both pickups.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Thanks. I'll take it to the shop I think but the problem is with the guitar right ? I don't have to get a new cable or something ?
funnyguy97tr
Well I can't guarantee anything with a guitar I haven't gone near myself but it definitely sounds like an issue with the wiring in the guitar itself, yes.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
K33nbl4d3 spot on. those switches are notorious for getting a little gummed up.

contact cleaner is cheap and will last for a lifetime.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
K33nbl4d3 spot on. those switches are notorious for getting a little gummed up.

contact cleaner is cheap and will last for a lifetime.

+1. You could remove the cover on the back of the guitar behind the switch, and look. If a wire is off, you can solder it or take it to someone. If the wires are connected, you could grab some contact cleaner, spray it on the back of the switch LIGHTLY, then just push the switch into the rhythm and treble positions a few times. Once the contact cleaner dries (this is really fast), plug it into the amp and see if that resolved the issue.

Contact cleaner will cost you less than a pack of strings: https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Electronic-Cleaner-11-Oz./16817418?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2705&adid=22222222227009475209&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42535874672&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-81197605832&wl5=9008526&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=16817418&wl13=2705&veh=sem
I've got one more question so bear with me please, I've open the back of the switch and the wires are intact but where do I spray the cleaner exactly? On to the wires or the bottom of the switch? I know nothing about guitar maintenance so I am a little scared.
Quote by funnyguy97tr
I've got one more question so bear with me please, I've open the back of the switch and the wires are intact but where do I spray the cleaner exactly? On to the wires or the bottom of the switch? I know nothing about guitar maintenance so I am a little scared.

The switch then work it back and forth a few times to let the cleaner do it's job just be sure to use it sparingly.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by funnyguy97tr

It's a dialectic material (I might have misspelled that), so you just spray it in the area on the electronic contacts you have exposed by opening the cavity. It won't hurt electronic components, but a little goes a long way. Just spray lightly, flip the switch up and down fast, do it again, flip the switch... 2 or three times is fine. Then try it. You'd be surprised what a little piece of dust can do in there. You can also try blowing the cavity out with compressed air. Just wear safety goggles or look away when spraying so you don't get that dust in the eye.
Quote by funnyguy97tr
Thanks so much guys, I'll try.

Did it work? Just curious.
The switch might have come loose and twisted around and caused some of the bare wires to touch each other too. When you have the back off try plugging in and playing a little while gently wiggling the wires. You might find a loose or shorted wire that way. You shouldnt get shocked or fry anything unless there is a battery in there. And keep your eyes away from the contact cleaner wilst spraying. Use little shots because that stuff splatters kind of violently.
I took down to the shop and the guy plucked in the guitar and it just worked all of a sudden. I stood there like an idiot. False alarm I guess?
Quote by funnyguy97tr
Hi, guys! I've got an Epiphone les paul 100 and my amp is Kustom KG1. I was playing it the other day, when I switch to treble mode on the guitar the sound from the amp goes off but on the clean and rhythm mode, it is perfectly fine. I don't understand what is going on, could it be because of the cable?

Make sure none of the Volume knob is turned completely down,
each volume knob works like a mastervolume
Quote by funnyguy97tr
I took down to the shop and the guy plucked in the guitar and it just worked all of a sudden. I stood there like an idiot. False alarm I guess?
It happens to the best of us. If it happens again, video it and demonstrate the problem so they know what to try.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by paruwi
Make sure none of the Volume knob is turned completely down,
each volume knob works like a mastervolume

To be clear, this is only if you're in the middle position. In the middle position, if you turn either volume knob completely down, the whole guitar goes silent. If I have the treble volume knob all the way down and go to the rhythm position, the rhythm will still sound. The knobs work as a blend of rhythm and treble in the middle otherwise. You get full mute only if you turn one or the other all the way down in the middle position.
Quote by funnyguy97tr

Did he find the volume pot down? I hope it wasn't that silly. Hope he didn't charge you either.

This kind of problem could be pointing to a loose wire on either the switch of the volume pot of the treble pickup; or it could be what is called a cold solder joint. A cold solder joint looks connected, but it's not. What can happen is that someone or something can move the wire from the contact before the solder is completely cooled. Happens more than you think. If it happens again, you might ask the repair guy to take a look.